Latest post Mon, May 16 2011 3:10 PM by Gerhard. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, May 14 2011 2:16 PM

• Gerhard
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, May 14 2011
    • Posts 15
    • Points 165

AVID 24p project: audio TC question

Hello,

We are going to do a feature film project at 24fps with ARRI Alexa (Prores on SxS, LogC) in Austria (PAL).
    We will put an Ambient ACL 203 onto the camera set at 24fps. The soundrecorder will be
    a Sounddevices 788T, which doesn't need an Lockit. It will probably be cut in AVID MC (4 or 5) on windows.

There are some questions:

What are the right internal settings for the soundrecorder, that no problems with autosync will occur?

Is it possible to use graded prores dailies in AVID without gammashift? Are there workarounds if so?

Best regards
    Gerhard

• Sat, May 14 2011 2:30 PM In reply to

Re: AVID 24p project: audio TC question

Just cut in 1080p24.00 HD and keep all timecodes 24.00fps. Sound recorder 24bit 48K, 24.00TC.

The Alexa spits out Log-C files which look completely washed out on any device you play it back with, unless you apply a LUT. If you need your dailies with a proper Rec 709 LUT, either have some facility create those files for you, or use Alexicc.

I've used Alexicc on a short. It works as advertised, although I must say that I did not create MXF files with it, I created DNx36 QT files, which I AMA'd into MC, then consolidated onto my media drives.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, May 14 2011 3:20 PM In reply to

• Gerhard
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 15
    • Points 165

Thanks for the fast answer.

I meant, if there occurs a gamma shift, when I import Dailies (QT mov, Prores 422LT) already with Nick Shaw's LUT plugin applied. I have no AVID myself, so I can't test now.

I've heard from Alexicc, although not used. It is for sure a piece of SW to consider.
    Why didn't you export MXF?

Gerhard

• Sat, May 14 2011 6:10 PM In reply to

riesiger:
    I meant, if there occurs a gamma shift, when I import Dailies (QT mov, Prores 422LT) already with Nick Shaw's LUT plugin applied.

AMA has a color space setting that allows the source files to remain unchanged. There should be no gamma shift, although a shift might of course occur when encoding to ProRes. The shifts are not caused by Avid, they are a QT codec issue.

riesiger:
    Why didn't you export MXF?

I had already started cutting with the untreated files, which I had brought in through AMA. Then I used Alexicc to create files with the proper look, AMA's those in, and quickly relinked everything.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, May 15 2011 8:20 AM In reply to

• Gerhard
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 15
    • Points 165

Thank you for the answers! Which performance do you get with Alexicc? Realtime?

• Sun, May 15 2011 9:04 AM In reply to

I transcoded from ProRes 4x4 to DNx36, so that takes quite some render time. On my 3.06 GHz MBP it took around 5 times realtime. I think multicore Mac Pros will give you better performance.

• Mon, May 16 2011 3:10 PM In reply to

• Gerhard
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 15
    • Points 165

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller