Latest post Thu, Sep 22 2011 7:45 AM by brorm2tsmac. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, May 5 2011 8:05 PM

• reelmensch
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 22 2011
    • Canada
    • Posts 64
    • Points 1,045

AVCHD (sony handycam hdr-xr500) and media composer 5.5

Hi all,

I am trying to edit AVCHD files from my Sony Handycam HDR-XR500. What is the best way to import the files?

I try to import a 5 sec clip, and it takes 25 mins.

I upgraded to 5.5 because when I tried to edit AVCHD clips on MC 5.0, the colours in the clips changed back and forth as I played the clip.

Has anybody experienced this issue, or worked with AVCHD before?

Thanks in advance

Avid Media Composer 8 Microsoft WIndows 7 Professional Intel Core i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60GHz 64 bit Operating System Installed Physical Memory... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, May 9 2011 2:33 PM In reply to

Re: AVCHD (sony handycam hdr-xr500) and media composer 5.5

Hi,

reelmensch:
    I try to import a 5 sec clip, and it takes 25 mins.

If you search the forum for "AVCHD" you'll find that everyone else using AVCHD cameras is in the same boat.  I'm sorry I don't have a better answer.

reelmensch:
    I upgraded to 5.5 because when I tried to edit AVCHD clips on MC 5.0, the colours in the clips changed back and forth as I played the clip.

Has anybody experienced this issue, or worked with AVCHD before?

Can you explain what you mean by the colors "changed back and forth"?

Also, it'd help to know your system specs and what version of Quicktime you've got installed on the system.

ciao,
    Carl 

Media Composer 2018.12.2 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Mon, May 9 2011 2:45 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,204
    • Points 218,090
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Hi there reel.....

AVCHD is import only so you have to use the standard Import process to bring the media into MC. Go to File > Import, then navigate to the stream folder and select the .MTS files you want to import.  Once in the system, the media can be transcoded to any codec in the Media Creation Settings.

If you are doing this and STILL have issues then ping me on email with your workflow and I can try it.

Also include your OS and QT versions so I can check.

marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Wed, May 18 2011 5:49 PM In reply to

• reelmensch
    • Not Ranked
    • Canada
    • Posts 64
    • Points 1,045

Hi Marianna,

Thanks for taking the time :) I upgraded to 5.5, and now my problem with color changing has gone away... 200$ later.  The issue now, is that to upload 20 mins of AVCHD footage from my computer, onto AVID MC 5.5 takes 40-50 hours!!! is there anyway I can speed this up? On adobe premier pro, I used to upload an hour of AVCHD in 2 mins... What gives?!?!?!?!          COME ON AVID!

*I upload my AVCHD files to computer from my sony handycam (20 hrs)

then I upload from computer to MC 40-50 hours.    Time is money, and I can't have this!

Any advice would help... Thanks all

Avid Media Composer 8 Microsoft WIndows 7 Professional Intel Core i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60GHz 64 bit Operating System Installed Physical Memory... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 18 2011 6:31 PM In reply to

• reelmensch
    • Not Ranked
    • Canada
    • Posts 64
    • Points 1,045

Would it help to download Pavtube MTS converter and convert the files to quicktime mov. before importing to Media Composer?  Are there any issues that I will run into if I do that?

• Thu, May 19 2011 2:01 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,204
    • Points 218,090
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Hey everyone - can you look at this thread and see my post and respond if you are having AVCHD import issues......

http://community.avid.com/forums/p/97019/556175.aspx#556175

marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Thu, Sep 22 2011 7:45 AM In reply to

Although my post is a bit late, I hope it could be useful to you.

There is another way to solve the problem you encountered. I suggest you convert your HDR-XR500 1080/60P videos to Avid DNxHD video at first, and then import the output videos to Avid Media Composer for further editing.

1. At first, you can copy the entire folders from the card/camera directly to your Mac/PC in one folder.

Root of the card -> "PRIVATE" folder -> "AVCHD" folder -> "BDMV" folder -> "STREAM" folder -> check the MTS files in there.

2. And then use a Mac MTS Converter program to transcode the mts footages to Avid DNxHD 1080P (*.mov).

What I am using is this smart MTS Converter Mac program: Brorsoft MTS/M2TS Converter for Mac.  It's able to convert/transcode AVCHD/ AVCHD Lite footages (*.mts, *.m2ts) to Apple ProRes, Apple InterMediate Codec, Avid DNXHD compatible with FCP, FCE, iMovie and AVID.

The best important factor appropriates me to choose it is its large variety of video formats. I feel it is very dependable and does exactly what I need it to do. Overall I am very happy with it and feel it was a good investment of my money.
    So I think it's worth to try and you can have a free trial at first.

Tips:
    Pay attention to and always check your MTS file frame rates. Footage shot at 60p will have the best quality when converted at 60fps, although you can reduce the file size substantially if you convert at 30p.  If your video footage was shot at 60i, it's best to select 30fps or 29.97fps as the preferred frame rate.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller