Latest post Wed, Aug 1 2012 7:02 PM by jonathon_lee. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Apr 6 2011 4:37 PM

• mjc
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Los Angeles, CA
    • Posts 146
    • Points 1,745

Disable or "mute" a Video Track?

Can I do this and master with a VIDEO track disabled?  

I have multiple timelines and don't want to duplicate and make a bunch of different versions.  If I just "hide" the track, it is not shown, but the track still plays in the sequence.

Is there a way to disable or mute a video track?

(I've got multiple sequences with 3 languages as subtitles.  I'd like to be able to Master out V1 video clean, then V2 eng titles, then Disable V2 and master from V3 spanish titles while still seeing V1 video)

Nitris DX Symphony Option / MC 7.0.4 | Mac OS X 10.8.5, Dual 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon MacPro, 10GB RAM | Facilis Terrablock 24D [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 6 2011 4:46 PM In reply to

• mjc
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles, CA
    • Posts 146
    • Points 1,745

Re: Disable or "mute" a Video Track?

(this is a workflow question --- over 150 timelines -- So deleting the tracks or moving them to another level is just a step that becomes exponentially time consuming for the editor(s))

Nitris DX Symphony Option / MC 7.0.4 | Mac OS X 10.8.5, Dual 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon MacPro, 10GB RAM | Facilis Terrablock 24D [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 6 2011 4:52 PM In reply to

Unfortunately the answer is no. Currently there is not a way to "hide" specific video tracks, although you can mute specific audio tracks by turning off the audio monitor icon(s). The ability to hide specific video tracks is an often requested feature over the years, but for now you can only "solo" a specific video track by Command clicking (CTRL clicking in PC) the video monitor icon so it turns green, which will then display ONLY the contents of that track. To do what you want still requires additional versions of the timeline or relocating certain tracks vertically and changing the monitor position. Sorry I can't give you better news.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Apr 6 2011 5:09 PM In reply to

• mjc
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles, CA
    • Posts 146
    • Points 1,745

Thanks Larry.  You're always a great help.  

Your answer is what I thought the case was.  Hopefully the feature will come in MC 6.0.  :-)

• Wed, Apr 6 2011 6:42 PM In reply to

I would suggest making SubSequences of the varying versions.  You could quickly do that with SubClip mapped to the keyboard.  

Activate V1 and V2, Subclip

Activate V1 and V3, Subclip

and so on...  you'd get new sequences that only contain the tracks you had enabled.  

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Wed, Apr 6 2011 9:16 PM In reply to

• mjc
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles, CA
    • Posts 146
    • Points 1,745

Not a bad suggestion, thanks Kenton.  

What we've done is created a top level video track called "HOLD".   Basically we just segment move the entire track up to hold that we don't want, and master from the track(s) below.

The reason I don't want to create the additional sequences is because there are so many and keeping track starts to become an issue.  Especially as we're exporting for review and/or making changes to the edit.

Thanks!

• Thu, Jan 5 2012 10:42 AM In reply to

• Glans
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 640
    • Points 9,830

This is a pretty basic thing, why does the most basic easiest thing get left out over the years? I have a problem where I just want 1 sequence with different alfa graphics on top and switch between them in order to tape out different versions, but I can't mute a video track.

And of course they didn't include this in the major v6.0 release....    when when when?

* Intel core i7 (3,7 Ghz), 16gb RAM, GeForce GTX 580 3gb - workstation. * Macbook Pro Retina 15 (late 2013) 16gb Ram - Laptop * DeckLink Extreme3D with... [view my complete system specs]

64 bit, GPU acceleration, better AMA, better exports with GPU acceleration, better grading with true secondary and lift gamma gain, higher resolutions (4K, 5K etc.) and a video stream online (for directors being far away on the phone or skype).

That would blow ANY competition away and it will be future-proof MC for a long time.

• Thu, Jan 5 2012 11:58 AM In reply to

• Lord Fluff
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 15 2011
    • London
    • Posts 112
    • Points 1,445

Glans:

This is a pretty basic thing, why does the most basic easiest thing get left out over the years? 

I guess because not everyone needs it, or we find ways of working that don't require it. I have to say in 13 years on Avid, mostly doing online, I've never missed it.

HP z820, Decklink Extreme+, Areca RAID, Artist Colour, Symphony 6 // MBP17, UltraStudio3D, Pegasus TB RAID, MC6 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jan 5 2012 12:06 PM In reply to

Lord Fluff:

Glans:

This is a pretty basic thing, why does the most basic easiest thing get left out over the years? 

I guess because not everyone needs it, or we find ways of working that don't require it. I have to say in 13 years on Avid, mostly doing online, I've never missed it.

Id agree and also add that it potentially culd cause a lot of issues.

What if you disabled a video track that is part of a stacked effect. The result of that effect (and any renders) would and should be changed by that track being disabled.

So the act of disabling a track could cause a whole bunch of renders to be invalid and require re-rendering.

And then what if you re-enable the track? Switch back to the old renders or re-render again?

This would be a significant difference to the working of the media composer video processing.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Thu, Jan 5 2012 12:14 PM In reply to

• Lord Fluff
    • Not Ranked
    • London
    • Posts 112
    • Points 1,445

Pat Horridge:

This would be a significant difference to the working of the media composer video processing.

You make some excellent points here which I'd not even got as far as considering. It's not really a 'pretty basic' thing at all when you come to think about it.

Better to employ working methods that suit the tool at hand. I try to remember this when I take jobs on FCP and waste time cursing it for not being more like Avid Big Smile

HP z820, Decklink Extreme+, Areca RAID, Artist Colour, Symphony 6 // MBP17, UltraStudio3D, Pegasus TB RAID, MC6 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 9 2012 2:14 AM In reply to

• huntson
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jun 26 2010
    • Posts 38
    • Points 490

Yeah - I just hate it when FCP is more flexible and easier to use than Avid.

• Mon, Jul 9 2012 2:53 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,536
    • Points 64,255
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

The catch is that every time you change visible tracks in FCP you have to re-render.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Mon, Jul 9 2012 3:20 AM In reply to

• huntson
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jun 26 2010
    • Posts 38
    • Points 490

Assuming there is something to render - yes. I'd much rather have the feature than not, however.

• Mon, Jul 9 2012 7:28 AM In reply to

• Lord Fluff
    • Not Ranked
    • London
    • Posts 112
    • Points 1,445

Which I have to say I absolutely hate. Working with multi-layered video in FCP reminds me of just how good Avid is at handling renders - it always makes me smile when you move a clip away then bring it back and Avid goes "ah - I remember this being here before - let me just grab that render we already did." FCP on the other hand always seems desperate to bin every render it does at the first opportunity, making working with it a right royal pain.

• Wed, Aug 1 2012 7:02 PM In reply to

I'm just coming back to Media Composer after moving off of FCP and DS. I was just searching around how to do this... DS, FCP and Smoke all do this. Yes, there are render cache issues if you enable or disable in FCP, but it is actually incredibly useful and super FAST when you are working with Text masters or subtitles.

This is a very important function for MC and Symphony.

- Jonathon

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller