Latest post Wed, May 31 2017 11:56 PM by chuckkahn. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Mar 13 2011 12:19 AM

• Travis
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 9 2006
    • Posts 105
    • Points 1,385

DNxHD Codec Bug?

Wanted to update/ edit this thread in hopes that someone from Avid could take a look and see if this can be fixed. Quicktimes with the Avid DNXHD Codec, if put in to an application like compressor or squeeze with a time code generator or a text burn-in applied, will not render out correctly. Might have something to do with the alpha channel. Is there anyone from Avid who might be able to shed some light on this?

Original post:

If I put a Same as Source Quicktime (DNX 115) into Compressor and export it the resulting mov looks fine. But if I add a watermark, or a TC Generator in Compressor to the mov and export it the resulting mov will be a freeze frame that slowly fades to black. This isn't a problem with any other Avid codecs, only Quicktimes using the DNX codec. The version of the codec is 2.3.1. It's Avid 5.0.3. Has anyone see this bug before? Does anyone have a workaround? This really messes up my exporting to DVD workflow. 

Thanks!

Avid MC 5.5.1 OS X 10.6.7 MacBook Pro [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Mar 13 2011 12:44 AM In reply to

• gumbaedit
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Richmond, VA
    • Posts 522
    • Points 6,850

Re: DNxHD to Compressor Bug?

Had the same problem and have not found a fix for DNxHD.  You also get the same problem in Squeeze, so it's not just a Compressor problem.

If you output to ProRes the hit in the quality is barely noticeable, so for just reviewing footage, that may work you.  For me, I decided on DNx36 to ProRes LT which a realtime or slightly faster export.

6 core Late 2013 MacPro 3.0 gHz, 16 gigs RAM, MC 8.8.5 on OSX 10.12.4, DNxIO, Flanders CM250, BMD Desktop Video version 10.9.1 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 14 2011 6:51 PM In reply to

• Travis
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 105
    • Points 1,385

Is there anyone from Avid who could check in to this? It seems like an issue with the DNxHD codec?

Thanks!

• Tue, Mar 15 2011 4:19 PM In reply to

I've had the same problem trying to use Compressor to create reference mpeg1 files for clients from DNx same as source exports (or QTRef). It seems to work fine but the resulting encode is a mess. I had to transcode to SD in MC first (DV420 for encoding speed) and then used QTRef. This is an annoying extra step when you have to transcode hours of rushes just to give a client BITC reference copies. Can anyone shed any light on this?

1xMacPro dual quad 3.0Ghz 10GB RAM with Symphony6 + Mojo DX; 1xMacPro dual quad 3.0Ghz 8GB RAM with MC6+ Kona LHi; 1xMacPro dual quad Westmere 2.4GHz with... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 29 2011 10:11 PM In reply to

• Travis
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 105
    • Points 1,385

Wanted to update/ edit this thread in hopes that someone from Avid could take a look and see if this can be fixed. Quicktimes with the Avid DNXHD Codec, if put in to an application like compressor or squeeze with a time code generator or a text burn-in applied, will not render out correctly. Might have something to do with the alpha channel. Is there anyone from Avid who might be able to shed some light on this?

• Tue, Mar 29 2011 10:54 PM In reply to

Travis:
    . Might have something to do with the alpha channel.
    Have you tried manually setting the xport to Colours millions not millions+?

Have you tried making a video mixdown of a short section and exporting that?

• Wed, Mar 30 2011 12:17 AM In reply to

• Travis
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 105
    • Points 1,385

I have tried millions and millions + and it's the same result. Also doing a mixdown- same result. As long as the source is the dnxhd quicktime codec it will create a black and red fade effect when adding a tc burn in in compressor or sorenson squeeze. 

• Mon, Apr 4 2011 9:09 PM In reply to

• BDavis24
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 25 2010
    • Posts 24
    • Points 340

I am having the same problem here.  I would love to know if there is a solution.  I have tried exporting Quicktime Ref files as well as quicktimes into compressor.  If I add a text overlay into compressor the file being created in Compressor is useless, similar issue to Travis.   Any solutions would be greatly appreciated!

• Sat, Jul 23 2011 11:17 PM In reply to

• Travis
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 105
    • Points 1,385

Re: DNxHD to Compressor Bug? Workaround

I have stumbled upon a workaround for this bug that makes DNxHD QuickTime reference movies export out of Compressor successfully, even with the timecode filter applied.

For whatever reason, adding a blank Text track to the QuickTime reference movie causes Compressor to export it properly. Here's how to do it. 

Open TextEdit in OS X.

Go up to Format and choose Make Plane Text.

Save the text document

Open the txt doc in QuickTime Player 7 (You need QuickTime Pro)

Next Select All and then Copy to your clipboard.

Now open your Quicktime reference mov from Avid in QuickTime 7

Select all and then Add to Selection and Scale

Now go up to Window and Show Movie Properties and you can see that a Text track was added to the QuickTime reference movie. Since there was no text in the document it will just be an invisible layer.

Now just save the movie, open it in Compressor and add a timecode filter. Export it and there will be no more black fadeout on the resulting file. 

So I'm not sure why this works but I'm glad it does. And it doesn't seem to add any extra render time in Compressor. 

Would love to hear if this works for everyone else. The next step is to find a way to automate adding the empty text track...

• Thu, Nov 24 2011 12:49 PM In reply to

• slebog
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 24 2011
    • Posts 2
    • Points 20

Thanks for the fix Travis, that's been working for me.

We have a fairly automated workflow so I've bundled your suggestion into an Applescript for ease of use.

It requires a Mac and the older QuickTime Player 7, available from http://support.apple.com/kb/DL923

Here's the compiled script: http://slebog.net/pecynnau/mac/dnxhd.scpt

And here's the plain text: http://slebog.net/pecynnau/mac/dnxhd.txt

I run this from a Terminal or batch process like this:

osascript dnxhd.scpt /path/to/quicktime.mov

But you can also run from Script Editor and it'll prompt for a file. Could also be adapted into a droplet for GUI users.

It simply adds a 1x1px transparent empty text track over the first second of the .mov, which seems enough to allow Compressor to process it properly with a watermark.

Hope this is of some use to people!

• Mon, Oct 22 2012 10:12 PM In reply to

• chuckkahn
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Toronto
    • Posts 339
    • Points 3,775

Tested this.

20 minute sequence of DNxHD36 media.   Avid version 3.5.9 on MacPro 2.66 GHz Quad-core.

Export from Avid:

- BITC same as source takes 13 minutes (with semi-transparent bg)

- same as source non-BITC takes 8 minutes.

Compressor

- to h264 without timecode filter takes 7 minutes

- to h264 with timecode filter takes 27 minutes.

Totals:

- 20 minute total using BITC in Avid

- 35 minute total using BITC filter in Compressor.

Avid Media Composer 2018.11 / Mac OS Sierra / MacPro5,1 / 6-Core Intel Xeon 2.66 GHz x2 / 64 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 23 2012 10:59 PM In reply to

• Travis
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 105
    • Points 1,385

You can save time by not exporting a Same as Source out of Avid, do a QuickTime Reference. Also in Compressor make sure you're using QuickCluster so you use all the cores on your MacPro. That should cut the time in half. Should be about double real-time.

Here's my blog post with more info.

http://www.posthacker.com/2012/05/faster-avid-outputs-with-timecode-burn.html

Also FYI this Compressor/ DNXHD bug still exists... see the above for a workaround. 

• Wed, Oct 24 2012 1:13 PM In reply to

• chuckkahn
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Toronto
    • Posts 339
    • Points 3,775

That 27 minute Compressor job (versus 7 without filter) was a Qmaster job using all cores.   The timecode filter just bogs it down 180% regardless.   

Avid Media Composer 2018.11 / Mac OS Sierra / MacPro5,1 / 6-Core Intel Xeon 2.66 GHz x2 / 64 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Oct 24 2012 10:41 PM In reply to

• chuckkahn
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Toronto
    • Posts 339
    • Points 3,775

Did another Compression cluster export test, video-only sequence of 86 minutes:

Method 1 - 75 minutes total

- from Avid with BITC, same as source - 51 minutes

+ Compressor job without TC filter - 0:24:31

Method 2 - 76 minutes total

- from Avid no BITC, reference, pre-rendered effects - 1 minute

+ Compressor job with TC filter - 1:15:48

Method 2 would be longer still if I had to re-render the effects in the sequence.

• Fri, Feb 22 2013 7:04 AM In reply to

Hi,

here is another workaround (my two cents):

1) export QTreference from AVID MC / Symphony

2) drop into Compressor

3) add a compressor-setting

4) choose your destination-folder

5) in the preview-window, step in two or three frames, press "i" for "in-point". Go to the end of the clip, go two or three frames back and press "o" for "out-point".

6) repeat with all clips you want to compress

7) start batch

That worked for me with several MC / Symphonys (3.. 4.. 5.. 6..) with several compressors (studio 2 / Studio 3) on several MacOS  (OS 10.4... 10.5 ... 10.6...).

regards,

tom

MacPro EightCore AVID Symphony Nitris MacPro QuadCore AVID MC 5.5 PowerMac G4 733 Meridien 1 AVID MC 10.6 ppc601e AVID Filmcomposer version 5 on NuVista... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller