Latest post Wed, Feb 9 2011 7:02 PM by adamsonn. 39 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (40 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Feb 7 2011 4:33 PM In reply to

Re: What animation/graphic programs are Avid editors using?

You are confusing the editor (producer?) with the special FX department.

Desktop
    Corsair RM750X/Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)/i7 2600K@4.4/Corsair 32G DDR3/PNY Quadro P2000D(390.77)/Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB/ 2x2TB WD RE4@RAID 0/LG BH16NS40/W10 Pro 64bit/Media Composer Software 2018.7 with Symphony Option/2xHP 22'' Monitors/M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

3 Heads Digital Films

• Mon, Feb 7 2011 4:46 PM In reply to

So far, the concensus seems to be that I should start with AfterEffects.    As a follow-up question, what book do you all recommend for my first foray into learning the program on my own?

MC 2018.4 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system drive... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Mon, Feb 7 2011 4:56 PM In reply to

Now - if you want to get started with AfterEffects and begin to see what's possible, I recommend you have a look at Andrew Kramer's site www.videocopilot.net - and go to the tutorials tab. Start with the basic training series. Also check out the advanced tutorials - he makes it look as if there's nothing you couldn't do with AfterEffects. The tool is good - his tutorials are absolutely fantastic!

As Steve pointed out this is a good place.

I have bought from him Sound FX's and Motion Graphics Bundles.

Desktop
    Corsair RM750X/Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)/i7 2600K@4.4/Corsair 32G DDR3/PNY Quadro P2000D(390.77)/Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB/ 2x2TB WD RE4@RAID 0/LG BH16NS40/W10 Pro 64bit/Media Composer Software 2018.7 with Symphony Option/2xHP 22'' Monitors/M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

3 Heads Digital Films

• Mon, Feb 7 2011 7:03 PM In reply to

• Haze
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 764
    • Points 10,205

The Meyers are good teachers.

http://www.crishdesign.com/books.html

Avid DS 11 | Z800, Symphony 6.5 | HP xw 8600, MC 6.5 | HP Z400, Unity Storage [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Feb 7 2011 8:32 PM In reply to

• adamsonn
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • South Africa
    • Posts 676
    • Points 10,015

I use (and really am starting to like) Avid FX (Boris Red) - and as a bonus - it comes with MC5 - why is it not more popular with Avid editors?

I agree on Photoshop - that is a must.

But I cannot justify the cost of CS5 just for the 'add ons' and then  just discard Premier. 

The MC5 bundle provides Avid FX and Avid DVD ++ - so unless you want a job in the industry working for others, why do you have to go with AE?

Just a quesiton.

MC6 machine: Intel Core i7 Asus P8-H67 64 bit Motherboard 1*1Tb SATA drive - partitioned to C (OS and programs) and D (data) drive 1*1TB SATA drive... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Feb 7 2011 10:07 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,551
    • Points 59,475

Don't discard Premiere - If you need to do multi-track audio (5.1) it's useful for that. Also - SoundBooth has it's moments (another plus with CS5). A surprising number of very useful tools for about 1.5 x the cost of AfterEffects by itself (more or less)...

Cheers

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 6 Black | MC 18.7 | QT 7.7.9 | BCC 11 | Sapphire 11 | Mocha Pro 5.6 | Titler Pro 6 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | System: P6X58D... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Mon, Feb 7 2011 10:19 PM In reply to

adamsonn:
    I use (and really am starting to like) Avid FX (Boris Red) - and as a bonus - it comes with MC5

I have Avid FX (version 5.8, that came with MC 4), but never really played around with it.    I find the lack of documentation on the Boris products (at least the ones bundled under the Avid name) to be frustrating.  Any recommendations on tutorials to help learn Boris Red?  I tried to find a third party book, but could not come up with anything?

MC 2018.4 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system drive... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Mon, Feb 7 2011 10:52 PM In reply to

• Joe M
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Sep 9 2006
    • Southwestern part of US
    • Posts 952
    • Points 12,715

adamsonn:

I use (and really am starting to like) Avid FX (Boris Red) - and as a bonus - it comes with MC5 - why is it not more popular with Avid editors?

I agree on Photoshop - that is a must.

But I cannot justify the cost of CS5 just for the 'add ons' and then  just discard Premier. 

The MC5 bundle provides Avid FX and Avid DVD ++ - so unless you want a job in the industry working for others, why do you have to go with AE?

Just a quesiton.

A big problem with AVID FX (BCC plulg-ins) is that in a lot of instances the plug-ins are no where near as flexible as the same plug-in in After Effects.  Plus, AE has much more tutorials and support wnen it come to learning the applciation.  That beings said, there are also a few BCC6 plug-ins that are very useful that are not included in AE unless you buy them seperately... but, the long and short of it is that AE has more resources to which a newbie and fall back on for support.

CS5 Production Premium has some portions that are exceptional... Photoshop, After Effects and Encore for example.  But, as for Premier Pro as an editing application... MC5 (IMHO) still provides more stability... and so, the verdict is still out... but, it appears to me with CS5 the margin is definately closing between what AVID MC offers and what Adobes offers in it's CS5 Production Premium set of editing and compositing applications.  Specially when you look at the price difference.

At this point, AVID's biggest advantanges is it is an industry standard for EDITING... but, I do believe AE is the industry standard for compositing applications. 

WinXP,ASUS W6T6 WS Rev.,Intel i7 3.2Ghz8X32,6G Corsair DDR3(low lat.),Quatro FX 3800(190.38),Adaptec 5405 RAID 0 SAS-2 Stripes 2x15K RPM Fujitsu 300G ea... [view my complete system specs]

• Mon, Feb 7 2011 11:09 PM In reply to

Terry Snyder:
    I find the lack of documentation on the Boris products (at least the ones bundled under the Avid name) to be frustrating.  Any recommendations on tutorials to help learn Boris Red? 
    Douglas's tutorial on here are a great start.

What is wrong reasonably extensive help files (help drop down menu) available when you have Avid FX open?

• Mon, Feb 7 2011 11:56 PM In reply to

AndrewAction:
    What is wrong reasonably extensive help files (help drop down menu) available when you have Avid FX open?

You're a better man than I am, Andrew...  I'm one of those idiots who can't seem to learn a new piece of sophisticated software from the help files alone.   I always look for a "Quick Start Guide" that many programs supply, or opt for a third-party book that lays out a systematic step-by-step guide to learning the software.    Year ago, I first learned Avid from Sam Kaufman's excellent intro book.   After I learn the basics, then the drop-down help menus are fine.  I was hoping for a step-by-by book on Boris, but I don't think one exists... 

• Tue, Feb 8 2011 2:17 AM In reply to

Not a book but  how about this  from Boris FX website video tutorials.

As I said before Douglas's Avid FX Tutorials on the site here are a pretty good for starters.

• Tue, Feb 8 2011 8:30 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,520
    • Points 209,340
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

AndrewAction:
    As I said before Douglas's Avid FX Tutorials on the site here are a pretty good for starters.

Thanks for the mentions Andrew.
    (Sorry I am a bit low on cash just now......)

Terry,
    If you are not in a big hurry, and you contact me, I'll give you some information on a new series of tutorials I am making right now.
    They will be dealing with AvidFX, BCC AVX filters and the "standard" FX that are built into MC from the first installation.

The idea behind the series is based on the old Chinese proverb:

Give a man a fish and he can eat for a day -  teach a man to fish and he can eat for the rest of his life.

By learning to "fish" you will be able to create your own unique effects or adjust existing templates to form them to your own wishes. After all it is uniqueness that separates the masters from the masses.

Regards,
    Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Tue, Feb 8 2011 3:46 PM In reply to

• Adman
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Atlanta Georgia, USA
    • Posts 5,295
    • Points 59,700
    • BlogAuthor
      Moderator: Avid Free DV
      Moderator: Avid Xpress DV PC
      Moderator: Avid Xpress Studio
      Moderator: MCA PC

Free Boris Red (Avid FX) tutorials:

http://www.borisfx.com/tutorials/RED.php

Mac Pro. QHD Ultra wide, thunderbolt LG monitor, MC 2018.3.0. Pro Tools 11 HD (Mbox 3 Pro), iPad Pro 12.9". 17" Macbook Pro i7. Dell Precision... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Feb 8 2011 6:25 PM In reply to

• adamsonn
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • South Africa
    • Posts 676
    • Points 10,015

As a lot of people have provided links to the Avid FX  / Boris Red tutorials - I will refrain from doing so as well.

But suffice to say the tutorials provide a lot of value as there are a number of concepts in them that can be used in other projects.

Also, just to clarify; Although a lot of the BCC filters are available in both Avid MC and Avid FX, I need to state that I do most of my compositing and FX work inside the Avid FX standalone application / interface and not through BCC -

In fact I run Avid FX on a seperate machine to MC5 and export my titles and FX etc as animated movs with alpha channel. 

By doing this I can concentrate on the physical editing in MC and the titling etc in Avid FX.

I am reaching a point now where even simple titles that used to be done in Photoshop or AvidMarquee / Titler are now done in Avid FX.

As I am not familiar with AE I cannot comment on if it is better than Avid FX, but each time I think I should buy the CS5 suite - my wallet snaps shut and a little voice (possibly my wife) asks "what for? You have never not been able to do something in the tools you have - spend the money on something else".

Neil

MC6 machine: Intel Core i7 Asus P8-H67 64 bit Motherboard 1*1Tb SATA drive - partitioned to C (OS and programs) and D (data) drive 1*1TB SATA drive... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Feb 8 2011 6:40 PM In reply to

Thanks Robert.

Motion Key doesn't work as well sometimes though.

I managed sometimes to wipe out something while other times it is impossible.

Desktop

3 Heads Digital Films

Page 2 of 3 (40 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller