Latest post Tue, Feb 8 2011 7:31 PM by ditner. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jan 21 2011 10:48 PM

• ditner
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jan 6 2009
    • Atlanta, GA
    • Posts 7
    • Points 90

Control Effects in Media Composer with MIDI !

Hey everyone,

I use Media Composer as often as possible. I cut a lot, and I don't like bouncing out video for use in other apps. I don't want to do titles in After Effects, colour grading in Mistika, and a sound mix in Pro Tools.

To get more out of the great effects and general interfacing navigation in Avid, some tactile mapping would be greatly appreciated. Any sort of a generic map-to-key function for use with a MIDI controller such as the Korg NanoKontrol. Controlling the scale of an object with a volume fader, or adjusting the fill colour of a title with a pan knob would be so intuitive and useful. If I could reach for faders that control X and Y coordinates of a title or comp, I could spend more time producing good effects and less time straining my wrist with a mouse over a grid editor.

I would pay up to $100 for a plug-in that would provide this kind of functionality.

• Sun, Jan 23 2011 5:48 PM In reply to

• dermot
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Vancouver, Canada
    • Posts 524
    • Points 6,220

Re: Control Effects in Media Composer with MIDI !

Euphonic colour surface has been reported to be on it's way, but i would bet it's going to be a a fair amount more than $100...

I use Wacom tablet as my main interface between computer and human, i have a large (18x12) tablet that again is a fair bit more than $100, but there is wacom tablets in the $100 range, i have 6x8 with my laptop and although somewhat challangeing when compared to the big tablet, is still my prefrence over a mouse..

d/

8600 - 3700 - AJA 2Ke - u320 array - Dream Color [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jan 23 2011 6:17 PM In reply to

• ditner
    • Not Ranked
    • Atlanta, GA
    • Posts 7
    • Points 90

I plan on getting a tablet for the time being. Preferably the last generation Wacom models which feature a rotary knob, I'd imagine dialing down the knob would be more subtle at discreetly changing parameters.

With Avid going so bizarrely open with Pro Tools 9, I'm hoping they'll open up Media Composer to 3rd party hardware options or adapting generic protocols (such as MIDI).

• Sun, Jan 23 2011 8:46 PM In reply to

• dermot
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Vancouver, Canada
    • Posts 524
    • Points 6,220

ditner:
    I plan on getting a tablet for the time being. Preferably the last generation Wacom models which feature a rotary knob, I'd imagine dialing down the knob would be more subtle at discreetly changing parameters.

i have mine bypassed now, i was finding myself tapping them accedently with my left hand while working... usualy tapping along with a music track... akkkkkk ;-)

The Euphonix drivers are done for PT, so hopefully it's not too long for the rest of us... we have had JL cooper in DS for years and years, i don't know of anyone who uses them tho

8600 - 3700 - AJA 2Ke - u320 array - Dream Color [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Feb 8 2011 5:53 PM In reply to

• kirkenshrir
    • Not Ranked
    • Montreal
    • Posts 55
    • Points 585

Did you read this thread: http://community.avid.com/forums/t/75283.aspx

Apparently, you SHOULD be able to use a Korg NanoKontrol with MC (?)

It's something I would love to try someday...!

Media Composer 8.x w/Symphony option, 4.0 GHz Intel® Core™i7 Quad + 32GB RAM, PNY nVidia Quadro 4000 (+USB2DVI adapter for 3rd monitor), Cooler Master... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Feb 8 2011 7:31 PM In reply to

• ditner
    • Not Ranked
    • Atlanta, GA
    • Posts 7
    • Points 90

I have tried this, and the Korg NanoKontrol does work with controlling track audio levels, which is neat. However I was thinking of controlling (or... Kontrolling) effects parameters.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller