Latest post Mon, Jan 17 2011 11:24 PM by AndrewAction. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jan 17 2011 11:49 AM

how to scale a transparent png image

Hello

I want to superimpose a company logo across the whole of a short film. Upper lefthand corner.

I prepare a png of the logo and I make the white background transparent (using Gimp).

I import this into a bin and then place it on the timeline via the source monitor. On a track at the very top of the timeline, spanning all clips.

The round logo shows up full size, filling the screen, except for the corners. The transparency works fine ie the white background is transparent. You can see the video behind.

Now all I have to do is reduce it in size and move it to the top lefthand corner position.

I step into the clip and apply the Blend: 3D Warp effect.

Which is when it all goes wrong. I now have three separate tracks when I step in. The top two contain the png and, above that, a matte track.

There is a padlock icon which I click. Thinking that it will lock the image and the matte together when I apply the scaling.

But I cannot get the image and the matte to scale together. I have tried a few different ways and each time it ends up a mess.

Would reallly appreciate some advice. I am relatively new to Media Composer so I could be overlooking something really basic.

Many thanks.

HP XW 8200 4GB Ram Nvideo Quadro FX1400 graphics card At one point I thought that this was qualified for MC5. Am saving for a new computer :-) [view my complete system specs]

gooderick.com

• Mon, Jan 17 2011 12:25 PM In reply to

Re: how to scale a transparent png image

Hi,

Richard Gooderick:
    Now all I have to do is reduce it in size and move it to the top lefthand corner position.

I step into the clip and apply the Blend: 3D Warp effect.

Rather than stepping in, just go into effects mode and use the resizing parameters available within the matte key effect itself.

ciao,
    Carl 

Media Composer | Software (8.2) w/Symphony option, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 8.1 Pro 64, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Mon, Jan 17 2011 12:28 PM In reply to

Thanks a million Carl.

That did the trick! 

Big Smile

Richard

HP XW 8200 4GB Ram Nvideo Quadro FX1400 graphics card At one point I thought that this was qualified for MC5. Am saving for a new computer :-) [view my complete system specs]

gooderick.com

• Mon, Jan 17 2011 12:30 PM In reply to

You're welcome, Richard!  :)

Media Composer | Software (8.2) w/Symphony option, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 8.1 Pro 64, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Mon, Jan 17 2011 7:40 PM In reply to

• MAC HOLLAND
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 9 2006
    • Holland Landing Ontario
    • Posts 730
    • Points 9,185

I get great results by using the the size and positon feature on the transform tab, right in margue. A full screen graphic easily reduces to the fit on a name key. Its eay to postion because you are working full screen at the time, with the video in th bacground.

AVID MEDIA COMPOSER 4.08 Asus P6T6 WS Revolution Intel X58 LGA1366 Motherboard Intel Core i7 920 Processor BX80601920 - 2.66GHz, LGA 1366, 4.8GT/s QPI... [view my complete system specs]

MAC HOLLAND
    YORK REGION - ONTARIO

• Mon, Jan 17 2011 10:29 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,039
    • Points 92,765

Why go to Marquee when the imported matte is directly adjustable anyway?  Carl's approach is the simplest and most direct, and you also position easily with video in the background in full screen mode.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 17 2011 11:24 PM In reply to

jwrl:
    Why go to Marquee when the imported matte is directly adjustable anyway?
    I go with Avid FX,  To my eyes it scales significantly better than a matte key. Long durations are easier.

FWIW if you get the logo in a decent format (vector EPS's or AI's) you get even better results for keys with AvidFX.

Please make Enter Slip and Enter Slide mode selection available for mapping (to buttons or KB) via the Command Palette.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller