Latest post Wed, Jan 26 2011 12:55 PM by Larry Rubin. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jan 10 2011 9:24 AM

moving a project to a new harddisk

hello guys,

we have a finished project in avid located on a certain hardisk, however we have been told that they will bring us a new external hard disk to completely move the project and copy it to... this project on the new hardisk must open on any comp in avid.... what shlal i do , consolidate or transcode? + what additional files i need to copy to the hardisk (ex files in avid project folders...)

thx

• Mon, Jan 10 2011 9:29 AM In reply to

Re: moving a project to a new harddisk

Hi,

Consolidate all the project's media to the external hard disk, and copy the project folder from the Avid Projects folder on your system (usually in the Documents folder), and you'll be good to go.

ciao,
    Carl 

Media Composer 2018.12.5 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Mon, Jan 10 2011 9:38 AM In reply to

i consolidate everything including effects ....? so i select everything in each bin one at a time and do a consolidate?? 9depending on nb of bins?)

• Mon, Jan 10 2011 9:51 AM In reply to

Hi,

Alain Yahchouchi:
    i consolidate everything including effects ....?

Yes.

Alain Yahchouchi:
    so i select everything in each bin one at a time and do a consolidate?? 9depending on nb of bins?)

You could do it that way, but I'd suggest using the Media Tool.  Open it, select the project you want to move, all media types, and all your hard drives.  Select all the media in the tool and consolidate.

ciao,
    Carl 

Media Composer 2018.12.5 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

• Tue, Jan 25 2011 8:37 AM In reply to

Hi, I still have some questions....

1) the avid project folder in my documents shld be copied to the external hardrive at root level, what if for example i copy/paste it inside a certain folder?

2)what about the rendered effects, i think numerous effects are rendered on diff drivers not on  a certain one, does using the media tool as u described previously guarantee that the project will be successfully moved completely to the new hardrive? becz i was told becz rendering occured on diff drives, call the avid supporter to consolidate ur project since he is expert and will use a certain additional software...?

what do u think?

thx, Alain

• Tue, Jan 25 2011 8:56 AM In reply to

Hi Alain,

Alain Yahchouchi:
    1) the avid project folder in my documents shld be copied to the external hardrive at root level, what if for example i copy/paste it inside a certain folder?

You're only moving the project folder to the external drive temporarily.  When you are ready to attach the external drive to a new system, copy the project folder from the external drive to the Avid Projects folder on the new system.

Alain Yahchouchi:
    2)what about the rendered effects, i think numerous effects are rendered on diff drivers not on  a certain one, does using the media tool as u described previously guarantee that the project will be successfully moved completely to the new hardrive?

When you open the Media Tool, it will show you a list of drives.  If you make sure to select all of the drives, you'll see all the media, including the rendered effects.

Alain Yahchouchi:
    becz i was told becz rendering occured on diff drives, call the avid supporter to consolidate ur project since he is expert and will use a certain additional software...?

There is software available to help with this process.  I haven't used it, but some people like it better than the Media Tool.  It's called Media Mover.  I can't tell you if you should use it, or if you should call someone for help.  If you're unsure about all this and you won't get a second chance to do it again if there's a problem, maybe you should get some help.

ciao,
    Carl 

• Tue, Jan 25 2011 11:05 AM In reply to

thx a lot for ur help, actually u made evryth clear to me!

I have a quest out of topic but doesent deserve opening a new thread:

I was in a hurry when i did some imports and builded my sequence in a new bin inside an existing project, later i created a new project and imported that bin from the previous project. Now i need to remove the previous project but deleteing the bin will disable my recent new project. what can i do to completely move or cut paste the bin int its correct new project. thx.

• Tue, Jan 25 2011 12:17 PM In reply to

You need to consolidate the material in that "borrowed" bin from the old project while you are inside the new project so that all the .new clips created are linked to the new project. You can then delete the old project and it's media without losing the material you consolidated from it into the new project.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Jan 25 2011 1:54 PM In reply to

so i select the content of the imported bin in my new project and perform a consolidate?? and what about the 2 options when consolidAting 1- keep master clip linked to media on orig drive or 2- relink master clip to media on target drive ??

• Tue, Jan 25 2011 2:02 PM In reply to

For the purposes of media management and safe deleting, stay with option 1 - keep master clip linked to media on original drive. What this means is you will have two identical, discreetly separate sets of master clips and linked media files: one pair with your original project and the other with the new project. So that way you can safely delete the original without any affect on the new "cloned" set in the new project.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Jan 26 2011 8:08 AM In reply to

Hi, it didn't work........

i did the following: i opened the new project, opened the imported bin and selected it content and do a consolidate and selected 1rst option and went to test. i opened the previous project selected a title from that bin and deleted it with its associated media files then reopened the new project. i cheked the imported bin, this title is missing!!!!

whats wrong?

• Wed, Jan 26 2011 12:49 PM In reply to

If you are not consolidating a finished sequence, there can be some issues regarding title clips and imported matte key files. The imported matte key clips apparently do not duplicate - the single original media file remains and the link to the master clip in the bins is changed from one project to the other project. In that case, you may need to reimport the matte key clip from the original source file it came from. In the case of title clips, those are easily restored using the "re-create title media" function that you'll find in the clip menu.

Here's the process I use regularly to consolidate finished timelines:

Project A = original project   Project B = new project

Open Project B

Create new bin

While in Project B, open the bin containing the sequence to be consolidated from Project A using the "open bins" function.

Duplicate the sequence and drag it into the new bin in Project B.

Close the bin from Project A with the original sequence in it.

Consolidate the sequence in the new bin in Project B. A series of source clips that represent all of the media used in the sequence will be created with a .new suffix. These clips are now linked to Project B. Deleting material from Project A will not affect these new clips.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Jan 26 2011 12:55 PM In reply to

And since you're on PC, if your intent is just to move all the media in one specific project from one hard drive to another, you can bypass the need to consolidate by using a freeware program called MDV which can cluster media files by project at the folder level. Also, keep in mind that you should always be writing media files to a different drive than the system C: drive, either internal, external, or a RAID array. After moving media files from one drive to another you will need to rebuild the media database files so the system gets updated as to their new location.

First, when moving media files, be sure to follow the Media Folder Management ground rules.

1) The "Avid MediaFiles" folder (for MXF media) and the "OMFI MediaFiles" folder (for OMF media, if you have any) MUST reside at the root level of the media drive, not inside any other folders or the system will not be able to find the media.

2) The folder names must always be the factory default names listed above (minus the quotes) or the system will not be able to find the media.

3) There can be only one of each folder type on any given media drive.

Then, rebuild the database files. Quit the application, and in each numerical folder inside the MXF folder inside the Avid MediaFiles folder, delete the two files that identify as "msmFMID.pmr" and "msmMMOB.mdb". If you have an OMFI MediaFiles folder, delete the same two files. On re-launch, the system will detect the missing files and build new ones at the "Initializing Media Streams Manager" stage. You will see the system go into a scanning and indexing mode at this point.

And your specific project folder should always live inside the master "Avid Projects" folder that you'll find on your C: drive. You can place it on an external drive for the purposes of moving from one platform to another, but it should always be placed into the master folder on the C: drive to run the project.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller