Latest post Tue, Dec 28 2010 10:03 PM by beazer. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Dec 26 2010 6:08 PM

• Jupiter97
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Dec 26 2010
    • Posts 3
    • Points 65

Total annoying newbie here. Mini Mac question.

Hi Guys, 

I am looking to set up a proper Avid suite at home and was wondering if I could get some assistance from you all. I am a complete novice at this kind of thing and am looking at really doing everything as cheaply as possible (aren't we all) but obviously want something that won't be outdated in 6 months time.

I've been sussing out the new Mini Mac and it appears the latest version of Avid will run on it so no real problem there. As far as I can tell because it has a HDMI output, I should just be able to connect up a decent size (27' plus) tv to it and negate the need for having 2 monitors. Does this sound correct?

The systems at my place of work now are quite old so initially I will be using it more as a training unit to get myself up to speed on the latest Avid changes (and will probably do the same eventually with Final Cut) and to catch up on a lot of effects training etc which I don't really need to use where I currently work, but would like to know.

My main problem is that I would like to use it eventually for other professional at home off-lining jobs etc loading rushes etc so I want something that will be capable of doing that further down the line. Since I am used to just walking into edit suites and doing off-line cuts, I have very little knowledge how to set this kind of thing up for a working home system and was wondering what other equipment I would need. Is the mini Mac going to be compatible connectivity wise with such things etc

I don't really want to do it all through a laptop and the Mac Pro's are obviously a hell of a lot more expensive, but obviously if I need to go down that route so I don't waste money I would go that way. 

Any advice you have would be welcomed.

Cheers

Rich

• Sun, Dec 26 2010 8:25 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,948
    • Points 214,875
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Total annoying newbie here. Mini Mac question.

Rich,

I can certainly check with the test engineers BUT... I know the Mac Mini wasnt tested and doesnt have enough beef to support what we need for 3 years.  We test and those we approve normally stay on our recommended list for 2-3 years.  So while you may think the MC v5 software works... what about what comes next?  We look at that which is why we test and support what we outline in the knowledge base.

You want a system capable of handling the versions we ship moving forward then yu are best to stick with what we have tested and approve.

I'll ask about the Mini but it might take a few days - a lot of folks are out due to the holidays.

If you dont hear from my by say Thursday, ping me directly at my email.

marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Sun, Dec 26 2010 9:09 PM In reply to

• Jupiter97
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 65

Thanks for your reply Marianna.

So what would you suggest is best and will keep me going the longest, a Mac Pro? If so do I need any modifications or would it be fine straight out of the box? Also it appears the graphics card in the newer ones is not Nividea. Do you know if the card it comes with is ok.

Thanks again.

• Sun, Dec 26 2010 9:21 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,948
    • Points 214,875
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Let me ask Matt tomorrow and see what both he and Dave in testing recommend. 

Stand by......

marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

mobile 813-493-6800

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Sun, Dec 26 2010 9:36 PM In reply to

• Jupiter97
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 65

• Mon, Dec 27 2010 5:08 PM In reply to

• wdln
    • Not Ranked
    • Peoria, IL
    • Posts 15
    • Points 185

I can report that although it is unsupported, I'm using MC5 on one of the new Mini's and it runs reasonably well.  It takes longer than normal for it to initialize the AMA manager on launch (maybe 2 minutes) and certain operations take a bit longer than they would on a Mac Pro, but I'm knee-deep in a 30-minute 720p project with very few problems.  I'm running two 4:3 monitors at 1280x1024... I've got the HDMI output adapted to DVI and I bought the mini display port to DVI adapter for the second output.  The graphics card is an NVIDIA GeForce 320M with 256MB of VRAM.  All in all, it runs pretty well.  I didn't pop for 8GB of RAM but did upgrade it to 4.

To answer your question, I think the problem you'll find with using a TV on the HDMI output is that your resolution will be capped at 1920x1080 (or 1280x720 if your 27" can't display 1080i natively).  That's a decent amount, but you may find it to be not very sharp when viewed at desktop computer distances.  If you're trying to do an Avid setup on the cheap though, it would probably do.

Media Composer 2.8.4 (5 systems) (20" Intel Core Duo iMacs) Media Composer 5.5.3 / Mojo (3 systems) (4-core Mac Pros) Symphony 6.0.3 / Motu HDX-SDI... [view my complete system specs]

Dave Lennie

Director of Instructional Technology

Slane College of Communications and Fine Arts

Bradley University

Peoria, Illinois

• Mon, Dec 27 2010 8:43 PM In reply to

Got MC4 to run on a Mac Mini but after I installed BCC, it failed to launch (graphics card issue, I think).

iMac i5 27", 24GB RAM, OS 10.11.6 with Symphony 8.10., BlackMagic mini monitor. MacBook Pro, 16GB RAM with OS 10.12.5 with MC 8.10 and BMD Ultrastudio... [view my complete system specs]

With best wishes, Roger Shufflebottom

ACI, Technical Tutor (Editing), Faculty of Media and Communication, Bournemouth University, Dorset, UK

• Mon, Dec 27 2010 9:32 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,948
    • Points 214,875
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Jupiter97

Dave got back to me and and while the Mac Mini looks alot like the old iMac or Mac laptops (It has core 2 duo (low end CPU) and Nvidia GeForce graphics (also low end consumer).), it is definitely not on the qualified list and not on our roadmap.  There are certain aspects of it that just dont and wont cut it with the editing software now and in the future.   If you want a cheap system on the qualified list, why don't you consider the iMac.   Marianna

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Tue, Dec 28 2010 10:03 PM In reply to

• beazer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 12 2006
    • Posts 14
    • Points 190

is there testing going on with the newest iMacs?  I have the 21" 3.2 Ghz Intel Core i3, 4GB, 10.6.5. 

Will these be qualified for MCv5?

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller