Latest post Thu, Dec 16 2010 5:50 PM by Kevin Klimek. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Dec 15 2010 12:27 AM

• mjc
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Los Angeles, CA
    • Posts 146
    • Points 1,745

AMA and Working with Stills

Is there any way to have the Avid honor import settings when linking to ama still files?  

I have a boatload of images that I'd like to link to (as opposed to importing) which will be serving as reference files for animations being created.

I know I can import them all, but that takes a lot more time and uses up space.  The AMA linking works really well for images that are at smaller than 1920x1080, but anything bigger crops out the image.

Thanks.

Nitris DX Symphony Option / MC 7.0.4 | Mac OS X 10.8.5, Dual 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon MacPro, 10GB RAM | Facilis Terrablock 24D [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Dec 15 2010 5:32 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,355

Re: AMA and Working with Stills

Interesting use of Ama linking of stills, I can see both ups and downs with it.

After that you have placed your clips on your sequense and maybe made a rough cut, add the Avid P & Z or ( better ) BCC P & Z if you have it, to all clips and relink to the origin stills, will give you correct aspects for all stills, even large ones.

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Wed, Dec 15 2010 3:22 PM In reply to

Check the "reformat" column in the bin.  You should be able to change it to a setting shows the entire image (although it may have a letterbox or side bars).

This only works in the bin; any clips you have in the sequence don't change.  (You have to re-edit them in.)  But future edits will include the change.

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Wed, Dec 15 2010 3:38 PM In reply to

• Mark Renz
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 21 2006
    • Kansas City, MO
    • Posts 1,043
    • Points 12,980

Kevin Klimek:
    any clips you have in the sequence don't change. 

Can't you modify the clips in bin then use the refresh sequence command to update clips already cut in?

Media Composer Nitris DX 2018.8 with Symphony option Win10 64Gb Ram * Media Composer 8.8 with Symphony option Nitris DX Dual 2.66GHz "Westmere"... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Dec 15 2010 5:23 PM In reply to

• mjc
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles, CA
    • Posts 146
    • Points 1,745

mjolnarn:

Interesting use of Ama linking of stills, I can see both ups and downs with it.

After that you have placed your clips on your sequense and maybe made a rough cut, add the Avid P & Z or ( better ) BCC P & Z if you have it, to all clips and relink to the origin stills, will give you correct aspects for all stills, even large ones.

Yeah, that was my workflow in the past (using Avid P&Z), however this project is a bit different and I was hoping to save time and space importing a bunch of stuff that is just reference anyway.

We're building a cut of all stills that are just serving as placeholders and some much more detailed animations are being done on each still (in after effect and a 3D box off site).  They'll all come back as "shots" that I'll just replace.

But showing the client the cuts, I'd like to keep the stills in the right aspect ratio (or, at least, "clean") as we're locking the timing cut, transitions, etc.

Nitris DX Symphony Option / MC 7.0.4 | Mac OS X 10.8.5, Dual 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon MacPro, 10GB RAM | Facilis Terrablock 24D [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Dec 15 2010 5:24 PM In reply to

• mjc
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles, CA
    • Posts 146
    • Points 1,745

Kevin Klimek:

Check the "reformat" column in the bin.  You should be able to change it to a setting shows the entire image (although it may have a letterbox or side bars).

That would be great if it works... I'll get into that today and see if I can make it work.  Thanks for the idea!

Edit- I couldn't wait, so I tried it.  WOW!  It works.  That is VERY helpful. Thanks Kevin.   How did you find this? (or, where should I have read to know that this could be done?)  

I have two follow up questions now that I can do this... 

1.) Is there a way to set "Pillarbox/Letterbox" as the default for AMA imports? (I'll re-look at settings to see if I can find)
    2.) This seems like we're almost close to resolution independence with that little trick.  Is there any method (in the timeline) to scale up without losing resolution (obviously to the "Center Keep Size" level)?

Thanks much!

• Wed, Dec 15 2010 9:55 PM In reply to

This was a new feature of v5, so that you would have options as to how to handle AMA clips.  (Like the import settings that we currently have.)

mjc:
    1.) Is there a way to set "Pillarbox/Letterbox" as the default for AMA imports? (I'll re-look at settings to see if I can find)

Not to my knowledge.  But it's easy enough to select all of the clips and change the reformat column to the setting you want.

mjc:
    2.) This seems like we're almost close to resolution independence with that little trick.  Is there any method (in the timeline) to scale up without losing resolution (obviously to the "Center Keep Size" level)?

Also no.  You can only use one of the preset options to determine what is shown.  There is no way to alter those options or do any sort of repositions or anything with the clips.

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Thu, Dec 16 2010 1:13 AM In reply to

• mjc
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles, CA
    • Posts 146
    • Points 1,745

Kevin Klimek:

mjc:

Not to my knowledge.  But it's easy enough to select all of the clips and change the reformat column to the setting you want.

Yup, I tried that just to check and found that it worked.  It is also letting me go back and forth without having to re-mount the AMA - which is nice.

I wonder how hard it would be for avid to add an AMA scaling "effect" (real time or not, it would be helpful).

• Thu, Dec 16 2010 5:50 PM In reply to

I won't speculate, but remember this is the first full-blown version of AMA.  I'm sure other features will follow.

-- Kevin

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller