Latest post Wed, Dec 1 2010 2:51 PM by Joe M. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Dec 1 2010 2:51 AM

• Joe M
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Sep 9 2006
    • Southwestern part of US
    • Posts 952
    • Points 12,705

Transcode Consolidate with AMA and non-AMA clips

When I try and Consolidate all clips in a bin... I get the... "You can not transcode both AMA and Non-AMA Clips together" pop up window... which is understandable... BUT... I am not trying to transcode... I want to simply consolidate the clips.

How do you consolidate clips in a bin without having to seperate the non-AMA and AMA clips? 

It seems like the "You can not transcode both AMA and Non-AMA Clips together" window should not pop up until you decide to transcode.  What am I missing?

WinXP,ASUS W6T6 WS Rev.,Intel i7 3.2Ghz8X32,6G Corsair DDR3(low lat.),Quatro FX 3800(190.38),Adaptec 5405 RAID 0 SAS-2 Stripes 2x15K RPM Fujitsu 300G ea... [view my complete system specs]

• Wed, Dec 1 2010 3:43 AM In reply to

• silver101
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jun 14 2007
    • Auckland New Zealand
    • Posts 171
    • Points 2,085

Re: Transcode Consolidate with AMA and non-AMA clips

Had the same problem, we ended up down-mixing the timeline as one can virtually do noting with AMA clips, they even need to render if mixed with other media on the timeline. 

Media Composer 5.5 on HP Z400 & XW8600 9G Ram Win7Pro Nvidia Quadro 2000 & FX1700 [view my complete system specs]

http://invesure.co.nz/style/images/InvesureLogo.png

• Wed, Dec 1 2010 4:05 AM In reply to

• Joe M
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 952
    • Points 12,705

silver101:

Had the same problem, we ended up down-mixing the timeline as one can virtually do noting with AMA clips, they even need to render if mixed with other media on the timeline. 

How about putting all AMA's in seperate bin?   On second thought, that would make a mess of my organization of my clips based on how they are used in the project... ugh... the fact that MC5 ability to organize clips has some serious lackings rears it ugly head - again.

Question... doesn't doing a mix down make the ability to edit the project problematic... if you want to back track your edit you can't if you are working from a consolidate mixed down?

As it stands, the only solution I can think of is to highlight/activate the non-AMA clips and then consolidate the bin clips.  Followed by a second consolidation to get the AMA clips.  Any other suggestions?   Do you do TWO consolidations to get both the non-AMA clips and AMA clips?  

WinXP,ASUS W6T6 WS Rev.,Intel i7 3.2Ghz8X32,6G Corsair DDR3(low lat.),Quatro FX 3800(190.38),Adaptec 5405 RAID 0 SAS-2 Stripes 2x15K RPM Fujitsu 300G ea... [view my complete system specs]

• Wed, Dec 1 2010 5:01 AM In reply to

• silver101
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jun 14 2007
    • Auckland New Zealand
    • Posts 171
    • Points 2,085

AMA workflow is 300% more work in the end, just import the media files from the very beginning I say.

I finish my sequence completely then make a copy and mixdown, if you need to make changes, go back to the unmixed sequence. 

We finish 100% the mixdown to get the sequence out of avid. 

AMA will not Perform good, respond on the timeline good, wants to render if mixed in the TL, cannot QT export. my suggestion is to start your workflow with importing the clips not linking AMA.

Media Composer 5.5 on HP Z400 & XW8600 9G Ram Win7Pro Nvidia Quadro 2000 & FX1700 [view my complete system specs]

http://invesure.co.nz/style/images/InvesureLogo.png

• Wed, Dec 1 2010 5:12 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 11,827
    • Points 140,705

Joe M:

As it stands, the only solution I can think of is to highlight/activate the non-AMA clips and then consolidate the bin clips.  Followed by a second consolidation to get the AMA clips.  Any other suggestions?   Do you do TWO consolidations to get both the non-AMA clips and AMA clips?  

It was a while ago that I did this but isn´t transcoding a Sequense working any longer even if it has mixed media on it.

So, just right click on the Seq and select transcode to the codec you want it to be transcoded to.

If that doesn´t work, I just got me some new knowledge

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW W8,1 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas

• Wed, Dec 1 2010 6:16 AM In reply to

• Joe M
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 952
    • Points 12,705

silver101:

AMA workflow is 300% more work in the end, just import the media files from the very beginning I say.

I finish my sequence completely then make a copy and mixdown, if you need to make changes, go back to the unmixed sequence. 

We finish 100% the mixdown to get the sequence out of avid. 

AMA will not Perform good, respond on the timeline good, wants to render if mixed in the TL, cannot QT export. my suggestion is to start your workflow with importing the clips not linking AMA.

I think you just might be correct... I have been doing some non-vital projects in MC using AMA linking... and, it appears to me it is a bit over hyped... specially if things go wrong - like offline issues, some lagging in previews and render issues... and, now you can add consolidation as another AMA-linking method weak spot. 

I am going to revisit using a workflow that imports the video source as a DNxHD video...unfortunately, I really like Cineform for a lot of reason (more accurate color correction, more stable for AMA linking use and few others)... so, there might be a trade off going to the DNxHD vs. (IMHO) a far superior and multi-platform user friendly Cineform codec.

It's a shame that MC can not do a simple consolidate of all it's projects files... to me it should be as simple as picking what you want to consolidate and determining where you want it consolidate to... and MC5 takes care of the rest.

• Wed, Dec 1 2010 6:21 AM In reply to

• Joe M
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 952
    • Points 12,705

mjolnarn

I am not sure what you mean... but, if you mean transcode a AMA linked media in order to allow MC to consolidate... then, that sort of defeats the purpose of having an AMA linked media in the first place.

I am still unsure if 2 consolidation passes of a bin with mixed AMA and non-AMA clips  - one pass with AMA linked clips consolidated and another with non-AMA linked clips - would truely consolidate the entire project.  When I get the chance, I am going to give this a try...until then, perhaps someone who has already done this can tell if a two pass consolidation will work.

• Wed, Dec 1 2010 6:29 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 11,827
    • Points 140,705

Joe M:

mjolnarn

I am not sure what you mean... but, if you mean transcode a AMA linked media in order to allow MC to consolidate...

No, that was not what I meant, to specify:

Do a duplicate of your Sequense, Ctrl-d will do that for you.

Move that Sequense to a new empty bin.

Rightclick on it into that bin and select transcode, you have the possibilities to also select the length of the handles if my me serves me well.

Doesn´t Avid " take care " of it all for you or am I mistaken ?

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW W8,1 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas

• Wed, Dec 1 2010 2:51 PM In reply to

• Joe M
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 952
    • Points 12,705

How does transcoding a copy of the projects sequence consolidate all the original project clips used to create the project? 

All I want to do is make a copy of every clip used in the project to a new location... if it means I have to transcode a copy of the sequence before I consolidate this transcoded copy of the sequence... how do I maintain an AMA linked clip still located in the original sequence?

It seems I am definately missing something pretty fundamental here...

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller