Latest post Tue, Sep 6 2011 9:46 PM by lawsonr. 18 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (19 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Mar 24 2011 6:59 PM In reply to

Re: Interplay Search Engine Frustrations

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} p {mso-margin-top-alt:auto; margin-right:0in; mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto; margin-left:0in; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

Naming Convention!

This is truely the only way to maximize searching within Interplay. The Extended search inside of Access is great for Media Managers and searching the archive and or remote databases. But search results can improve even more with extended searching if you have a consisitant naming convention.

Now realistically, the vast majority of clients are NOT doing extended searches in Access. Most of the time users are doing Simple Searching within Instinct, Assist and the Interplay Window (NC and MC). So if media captured consists of either a prefix, date, type or combination of all, you can always find what you need even in the event of mispellings based on the constants provided winthin the naming convention.

Example Raw Material:

Set up your Airspeeds inside of Capman or Interplay Capture to have a default name of ENG. If all records are label, ENG slug name, then in the event of incorrect slugging you can always search for just ENG (Time: Last 10 mins, Last hour, Last 24 hrs). Also if you search the Incoming media folder as compared top level searches of the entire databse, this will also reduce the amount of results.

For file based downloading from places like PathFire or in my case CBS Newspath, we relabel when saving the file as NP slug name (NP for NewsPath). For Pathfire you could use PF slug name. Or you could have everything captured regaurdless of Edit station, Capture Manager, file based imports (Flip Factory), could be called RAW slug name. Now you can search for RAW (Time: Last 10 mins, Last hour, Last 24 hrs). Its up to you on how simple or complex you want your naming convention to be. Here's a more complicated naming for captures:

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Format:   SOURCE SLUG TYPE DATE.1(Date Structure: YYMMDD) Date is done this way so you can sort by name and still be in order by date.

Examples:             ENG HOUSE FIRE RAW 100721.1

ENG HOUSE FIRE RAW 100721.2

For Edited Sequences:

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 Naming Convention: SLUG TYPE DATE SHOWTIME (Date Structure: YYMMDD)

Examples:

LEXINTON CRASH VO 100602 5P

BOSTON FIRE PKG 090906 6P

Whereas typing the above slugs will take longer at the onset, it will save considerable amounts of time in the following situations:

- When searching for day of stories

- When finding material to be archived

- When looking for clips to restore from archive

- When searching for stories in iNews

TYPE ABRIVEATIONS :

PKG – PACKAGE

VO – VOICEOVER

SOT – SOUND ON TAPE

RAW – PRIMARY FOOTAGE 

BROLL–SECONDARY FOOTAGE

PHONER–RECORDED PHONE CALL

MUZ – MUSIC

TRAX – RECORDED VOICE TRACKS

GFX – GRAPHICS

TZ – TEASE

PITCH–PITCH REEL

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 Searching Interplay:

In the end, by default you can still search for the slug name first, but when that does not work, the constants in the naming convetion will fix this problem. Of course, a more complicated name will provide more ways to search when the slug does not work.

There are multiple ways to do a simple search with naming convention:

Example Slug:       HOUSE FIRE PKG 110321 6P

Simple Searching methods:

Slug                                                        HOUSE FIRE

Slug type                                               HOUSE FIRE PKG

Slug type date                                      HOUSE FIRE PKG 110321 (Date: YY or YYMM or YYMMDD)

Slug type date show time                 HOUSE FIRE PKG 110321 6P

Type                                                       PKG

Type date                                              PKG 110321 (Date: YY or YYMM or YYMMDD)

Type date show time                         PKG 110321 6P

Date                                                        110321 (Date: YYMM or MMDD or YYMMDD)

Date show time                                   110321 6P  (Date: DD or MMDD or YYMMDD)

Showtime                                             6P

Trust me I could go on and on with this. You can apply multiple methods of logging for sports, which is another whole discussion for some other time. But I hope by now you get the general idea.

Now some may argue, who's going to enter all that extra info.  Well, even data like DATE and SHOWTIMES can be entered in iNews using a combination of templates and keyboard macros, which is how we designed our system, so producers can click a macro that enters the date and showtime and leaves the cursor at the beginning of the name to enter the slug and type. Overall it is up to everyone from Producers, Editors, Photogs, and ENG operators to be on board with a namaning convention or else it will fail.

When all said and done, yes Interplay does not have a "Did you Mean" function, and the searching is only as good as the info you put into it. Knowing this, just work with the product as it is designed. If you do so, the system will work for you. Honestly, there is no media in Interplay that I cannot find!

I hope this helps!

• Sat, Mar 26 2011 2:45 AM In reply to

A simple approximate string matching data base engine would do the trick, aslo know as fuzzy string searching. At the end of the day it's a DB and it should pull up anything.

• Sat, Aug 13 2011 1:35 PM In reply to

• SteveK
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London
    • Posts 310
    • Points 3,475

A problem I had yesterday was searching for clips just sent to me from an adjacent IP director.

A search in the last 10 minutes, or hour produced nothing.

A search in the last 24 hours did!

I supspect it is a BST (British summer time, GMT+1) and GMT problem.

Where does interplay search get its time form? the server or computer?

Steve

Numerous clients mojo to Nitris PC systems 6.5 to 2018.3 with interplay with ISIS/UNITY, EVS transfer/w IP director At Home: new 2017 15" i7 MacbookPro... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 6 2011 9:46 PM In reply to

• lawsonr
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jun 8 2006
    • CBS News
    • Posts 313
    • Points 3,655

The answer is, "it depends".

Interplay Time Sync is very important, as you might imagine. There's a very thorough KnowledgeBase article about setting up good Interplay Time sync, located here:

http://avid.force.com/pkb/LegacySearch?DocId=369915&ssdFilterCommunity15=1408&ssdFilterCommunity13=0&ssdFilterCommunity11=0&ssdFilterCommunity10=368&ssdFilter_SearchKeyWord=interplay+time&page=1&ssdSearchOperator=0&ssdFilterCommunity3=0&Hilite=interplay+time

sorry if the link gets mangled. Just search the knowledgebase for Interplay + Time and it'll pop up.

Avid NewsCutter v10.5.4, ISIS 7000 v4.6.1, Interplay 2.7, Interplay Central 1.8 [view my complete system specs]

--- Rob Lawson System Administrator, ACSR CBS News

Filed under: ,
Page 2 of 2 (19 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller