Latest post Thu, Apr 18 2013 4:23 PM by Matt Wielgos. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Nov 19 2010 7:26 PM

• PatRich
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 19 2010
    • Posts 1
    • Points 30
    • Avid Authorized Developer - MetaSync

Sorenson Squeeze Workflows - Create Once, Publish Anywhere

To see this video in HD visit us here

Avid Media Composer 5 as well as previous versions has tight integration with Sorenson Squeeze. With Squeeze you have access to the highest quality encoding and a complete publishing and distribution solution. Squeeze is bundled with Media Composer to help you get the most out of the hard work you’ve poured into your edits. In this video, I will walk through how to export from Media Composer 5 as well as answer a few common workflow questions such as publishing and using filters.

Here I am in Media Composer 5. I have my project loaded and my video on the timeline. First I’ll select the timeline I want to export then for to File -> Send To -> Encoding -> Sorenson Squeeze. A dialog box will come up. If this is your first integration with Squeeze, then you must first set up Media Composer to send to Squeeze. Settings are mostly in place, but I’ll need to direct Media Composer to where Squeeze is installed on my machine, and tell it to open after send to. First check the Auto Launch button to make sure the project loads into Squeeze. Choose “Add Item”. Now I need to locate Squeeze. On a Mac it will be in the applications folder, and on Windows it will be in your program files, or program files x86 for 64-bit systems. Now I’ll save this profile. I’ll just overwrite the existing Squeeze template, and the next time I use Squeeze, it will be ready. Now click “OK”. Squeeze will auto-launch and the video will auto-populate as a QuickTime reference movie.

In this example, I’ll encode this project to local network storage so it can be grabbed by editors on different systems. I want to make it universal so that the audio editors or compositors have easy access to it. Here in Squeeze there is a tab called “Editing” in the Presets window. I can see “Motion JPEG”. Motion JPEG is a highly universal, highly editable, low-loss codec that is also fast to encode. To apple the preset I can either click it and click apply, or drag-and-drop it into the job window. Now I need to define an output path. In the job window, there are three columns—settings, destination, and progress. In the destination column it says “default” for the job in dark grey. In Squeeze there are three ways to specify a destination for your output video.

The first way is found in the preferences menu in the Squeeze drop-down on a Mac, or the File drop-down on Windows. Here on the Output tab you can set the default output location. The default setting is same as source, but I have mine set to a Squeeze folder on a local drive.

The second way is to right-click on the destination column. I can either specify a new output location for each video or for the job as a whole.

The third way is to add a publishing preset. The publish presets act differently than the first two methods in that Squeeze will publish to your default or specified location and your publish destination. They also have the added benefit of being presets. So if I’m not pushing to a specific network all the time I don’t have to fuss over setting it as a default or changing it manually each time. To add a new preset, I click the plus sign and this dialog appears. Since this is local network area attached storage I choose the “Send to Folder” and choose the network location. I’ll call it “NAS” and click OK. Add this preset the same way you’d add any preset by clicking Apply or dragging-and-dropping. Now my file will compress to the local drive and the NAS. I click “Squeeze It” and let it go.

With Squeeze 6 and higher you can publish locally to various destinations including local directories as in the previous example or directly to applications for further processing. In addition, Squeeze has many online publishing options including Amazon Web Services, YouTube, Akamai, Limelight, FTP, Sorenson 360 and many more. Let’s run through what you can do with these publishing presets if you’re connected to the Internet.

One of the biggest challenges many editors face is the timely review and approval of edits—either completed deliverables or just dailies. In the past this has meant burning DVDs or sending files via FTP or sending via email. There is an easier way, let me show you how it’s done.

Before we begin we need the optional companion to Squeeze—Sorenson 360. 360 is a full-featured online video platform, and as an Avid customer you get special pricing starting at just $36 USD per month. Visit http://www.sorensonmedia.com/avid to get started.

Now that I have my account information, I’ll add it to Squeeze by adding a new preset. Click the plus icon, and then choose Publish to Sorenson 360. Enter your credentials then click “Verify this account”. Squeeze will then add a new set of presets to my Web tab. If I check in Web -> Destinations -> Sorenson 360, I can see that it did. If I go back into my Media Composer project, I can send to Squeeze as I did before. What I want to do is send this daily to the project manager in the creative department for sign-off on the graphics. First thing is to create notifications for these people. In the lower-left is the notifications window. Just like adding a preset or publish destination, I click the plus icon to bring up the dialog. I’ll set-up the project manager first. Enable review and approval, and if I want to I can password protected as well. I’ll also add myself so I know when the job is complete. This can be a lifesaver if you have a long project and don’t want to sit around the office waiting on an encoding job. Now I want to add all these notifications to my project. I also want to add a timecode for reference. Over in my filters is a timecode filter. I can double-click it to make changes to the font, the background color, the transparency and more, but I’m going to leave it as it is and click apply and drag-and-drop it over. Now I’ll add an encoding preset and click “Squeeze it”. Now that it’s done encoding, I’ll get an email. My project manager and creative team get similar messages. Clicking on the link takes me to a page to view the video and add notes. I have a “Please Revise” notice with timecode notes right here in the window. I also get emails with any comments that have been made. Now I can go right back into my Media Composer project and make the changes saving me time and effort.

These are just a few of the many advantages of using Squeeze in the Media Composer workflow. For more information including tutorials and videos, visit http://www.sorensonmedia.com.

• Tue, Mar 13 2012 12:55 PM In reply to

• Matt W
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 11 2012
    • Posts 7
    • Points 95

Re: Sorenson Squeeze Workflows - Create Once, Publish Anywhere

Thanks for the nice tutorial.  Does squeeze work with Kaltura like it does with 360?

• Fri, Apr 27 2012 3:39 AM In reply to

• dustinalan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, May 3 2011
    • Posts 6
    • Points 40

Try this tutorial to let squeeze upload anywhere you want:

http://www.dustinalan.com/sorenson-squeeze-sftp-upload/

I needed ssh and sftp functionality so I ported this through a batch file I wrote.

• Thu, Apr 18 2013 4:23 PM In reply to

• Matt Wielgos
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jan 6 2012
    • Cincinnati, Ohio
    • Posts 30
    • Points 390

Has anyone answered this question for you yet?  We also use Kaltura and would like to upgrade our workflow efficiency if possible.

System 1: Avid Media Composer 7.0.3, Windows 7 64 bit Pro, SP1, Intel Core i7-2720QM CPU @2.20 Ghz. 16 GB ram. NVidia NVS 4200M w/drv. 9.18.13.2078. Dell... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

Avid Technology, Inc. brands:
M-Audio  |   Sibelius  |   Pinnacle Systems  |  

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller