Latest post Fri, Oct 22 2010 9:25 PM by thesillyrabbit. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Oct 19 2010 9:32 PM

Connecting to Unity on 12 core Mac running OSX 10.6.4

I am having trouble connecting to our unity space on our new 12 core Mac. Fibre Manager and Administration tool can't seem to see unity. The disk utility recognizes the fibre drives and so does the ATTO card but no luck with the unity MediaNetwork Client. Any suggestions?

12 core Mac OSX 10.6.4

Atto Celerity FC-42ES

Fibre Manager 5.2

App Congiuration tool 316

Celerity driver version 3.2.1

• Wed, Oct 20 2010 6:06 AM In reply to

Re: Connecting to Unity on 12 core Mac running OSX 10.6.4

Hi,

would you supply a bit more info on your unity system?

Has this system ever worked or did you try to add it to the system?

With the info you gave I would first check if user settings in the  administration tool and in the windows user management tool are correct.

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Wed, Oct 20 2010 5:59 PM In reply to

The unity system has been working and has 4 other Mac Avids (not 12 core or 10.6.4) connected to it running fine. I am running File manager version 4.2.4. I don't know what would need to be different on OSX 10.6.4 but neither the administration tool on the mac or the fibre manager will connect thus i can't get into their settings on the mac.

• Thu, Oct 21 2010 3:49 AM In reply to

There is a newer version of the FC client that has fixes for Snow Lepopard that might help: version 5.3.1

Macintosh Snow Leopard (10.6.2 and higher) clients require the newer 3.42 driver bundle according to a tidbit buried on page 49 of the 5.3.1 readme.

Hopefully one of these will solve your problem.

• Thu, Oct 21 2010 5:20 PM In reply to

I have installed everything suggested and read through most of the readme file, but no luck. It seems like the Atto card is set up and running fine. it recognizes the drives but for some reason the medianetwork software has a "problem connecting to the server". I have installed and tried several different version from 5.3.1, as suggested, down to 5.1.3. Has anyone else run into any problems like this? 

• Thu, Oct 21 2010 10:08 PM In reply to

• AvidHammer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 13 2006
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 170
    • Points 1,925

Are the other systems (that are able to connect) Snow Leopard of any variety?

Also, what does your Unity look like...it's a 4.2.4 server, but what is the hardware?  Do you have "dumb storage" chassis attached?  If so, perhaps they need a higher IBOD version in order for 5.3.1 to be able to see them as part of the filemanager?  I know that there's a 4.2.5 IBOD out there now, that we've needed to use to allow proper connectivity (for other instances, such as Vista 64 connecting to 4.2.4...perhaps this is similar?)

NOTE: I wouldn't jump into upgrading the IBOD service willy-nilly without researching it first.  

~Hammer

• Thu, Oct 21 2010 10:41 PM In reply to

Any chance the port on the switch is configured for storage instead of an editing client?

That is a long shot since disk utility is seeing the drives, but as a test it would be interesting to switch the fiber connections on the switch with a working system.

And I hate to ask, but do you have enough fiber client licenses available on the File Manager? I've had cases where the FM wasn't releasing licenses quickly and refusing connections with a very ambiguous error message.

• Thu, Oct 21 2010 10:48 PM In reply to

• AvidHammer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 13 2006
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 170
    • Points 1,925

vinofan:
    I've had cases where the FM wasn't releasing licenses quickly and refusing connections with a very ambiguous error message.

Very good point--as this is a new "build" it possibly has a different computer name.  And it is possible that there was another system that was connected, crashed, and left its name "logged into" the unity, but not actually connected.  This can occupy your remaining seat on the unity and not allow the correct number of actual computers to connect.  You just need to go to the list of "attached clients" (in the Monitor Tool) and disconnect any "phantom" clients.  

It would be great if it's something that simple.

~Hammer

• Fri, Oct 22 2010 7:57 PM In reply to

• Onodrim
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Oct 22 2010
    • Posts 12
    • Points 130

Definitely stick with Fibre Manager 5.3.1.  It's a necessity for 10.6.4 (Snow Leopard).

Also, be sure to check your Mac's computer name.  I've seen countless systems unable to connect because they were named 'thesillyrabbit's Mac Pro' or somesuch.  Ditch the spaces and apostrophe, and you're way ahead.

If your client was in an improperly zoned port on the fibre switch, it likely would not be seeing all the storage - the FM port sees everything, the client ports see the FM and storage ports, but not each other, and the storage ports see the FM and client ports, but not each other.  on 4.2.x, if you had a client in a storage port, you'd never see the unity drives in the config tool.

I do concur with checking the available fibre licenses - Active clients Tab of the Monitor tool.  Make sure the dongle allows at least 5 workstations.  The File Manager will show up on the Active Clients list, but does not occupy a license (note it says 'no' in the workstation column).

• Fri, Oct 22 2010 9:25 PM In reply to

Thanks everyone for all your help. Turns out the port that the fibre was plugged into was not setup correctly. We switched out the port it was plugged into with one that we knew was working and there it was. Of course it would be that easy. So far it seems to be running perfectly. Again thanks for all the help.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller