Latest post Sat, Oct 23 2010 4:30 PM by AvidHammer. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Oct 18 2010 2:43 PM

• mikel
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 19 2005
    • Toronto
    • Posts 56
    • Points 670

no option for picking client or server

hello, simple problem here:

We just upgraded our Unity Medianet to 4.2.4 and all of the clients have been updated except for one. For some strange reason, the option pick either a 'client install' or the 'server install' doesn't come up - and It forces the server software on the system, and not the client software. Clearly, this is not what I need.

I've tried running the MN.dbd installer on the top level and selecting 'install fibre based client' but it installs the server. I've tried going into the folder unity\WINXP\ and running it there, but there's no pop-up to select client or server.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

The system is running winXPsp2 with MC4.

• Thu, Oct 21 2010 9:46 PM In reply to

• AvidHammer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 13 2006
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 170
    • Points 1,925

Re: no option for picking client or server

Are you running the exact same installer?  From CD or have you downloaded it and you're doing it from a folder?

5.x has separate client or server installers, but I don't see that they have separate installers at 4.2.4.  I think Mac is mac client, and PC is both client and server...and you select which.  

I do know that we've had issues before with someone inadvertently selecting a "setup" file from within the 4.2.4 installer folder (not knowing which one he selected).  While running it, he got several "strange" errors, and then stopped and tried to run the software the correct way--I usually just drag the mn.dbd file onto the "demo32.exe" file.  Somehow the filesystem had gotten messed up in the initial process, and it would never install correctly after that.  We had to reimage the hard drive.  

This incident was actually involving 4.2.4 as well, although it was actually an upgrade of a unity server from 4.2.3 to 4.2.4.  

Is it possible that someone else has accidentally run the wrong installer already, and you're stuck in limbo-sville? 

~Hammer

• Fri, Oct 22 2010 2:02 PM In reply to

• mikel
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 19 2005
    • Toronto
    • Posts 56
    • Points 670

thanks for the info hammer!

The thing that was odd, was that I have 6 or so clients who all gave the option to select client OR server when I installed 4.2.4. I tried running 4.1.6 just for kicks (mainly to see if it would work) but ran into the same issues, so I'm thinking whatever was happening was caused by the client itself.

I've ended up solving the problem in a strange (but clear) way - running 5.1.3 that has a client only install. And yes, it's running just fine with 4.2.4 on the server.

• Sat, Oct 23 2010 4:30 PM In reply to

• AvidHammer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 13 2006
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 170
    • Points 1,925

Good idea; yes, that should work.  It's interesting that it took the 5.1.3 client installer but never allowed you a client install with the 4.x software.

I can only assume there's some type of registry item that was blocking you from installing what you needed.  But I'm glad you're up & running now.

~Hammer

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller