Latest post Mon, Oct 25 2010 4:01 PM by George Loco Angeludis. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Oct 5 2010 8:33 PM

• L_TownAO
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Oct 1 2010
    • Posts 25
    • Points 395

Slow-Motion Effect

Hey guys.  I have a video shoot tomorrow and we be filming an airbag deploying.  Cool huh?  I know! I will be using a Panasonic HPX170 P2 camera.  I was thinking of shooting this air bag deploy at 720/60p.

Two questions:

1) What camera setting should I use for this to capture the airbag properly?  The airbag will be deploying extremely fast so I want to capture the motion as best as we can.  I know the camera has overcranking capabilites but not sure if I should change my current camera settings.

2) I did slow down a test file of 720/60p and slowed it down using the timewrap effect within Avid.  It looked good but when slowing it down to play back at 15%, it was a little choppy.  I also tried using the FluidMotion option.  It smoothed the clip but introduced some weird image artifacts around my talent.

Just curious what you would do.

-Brian

• Tue, Oct 5 2010 8:43 PM In reply to

• Zac Hogle
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 30 2010
    • Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    • Posts 788
    • Points 9,705

Re: Slow-Motion Effect

I don't want to give you any bad advice re: camera settings, so I won't.

My go to slo mo effect in Avid is to use the timewarp, set to blended VTR or blended interpolated (test to decide which), then set my input to Film with 2:3 pulldown, detecting the pulldown rate, and set my output to Film with 2:3 pulldown as well.

Hope this helps!

Z

• Tue, Oct 5 2010 8:50 PM In reply to

• L_TownAO
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 25
    • Points 395

Zac Hogle:

My go to slo mo effect in Avid is to use the timewarp, set to blended VTR or blended interpolated (test to decide which), 

Zac,

Why should I choose blended VTR or blended interpolated?  Is their a reason to choose one over the other?  I see there are lots of choices in that drop-down.  The help file doesn't explain it in layman terms nor does it tell you to choose one over the other if your source footage is progressive.

• Tue, Oct 5 2010 8:59 PM In reply to

• Zac Hogle
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Posts 788
    • Points 9,705

The reason to go with one of those two is just personal experience. I find those two give me the most consistent smooth image quality, without artifacting, which is why I stay away from Fluid for the most part.

I've never heard a layman version of the differences between each, my preferences come mostly from testing and seeing how they look.

For footage that is already progressive, I've had the same results with the aforementioned settings.

Z

• Tue, Oct 5 2010 9:02 PM In reply to

• L_TownAO
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 25
    • Points 395

Ok cool thanks!

-Brian

• Tue, Oct 5 2010 9:46 PM In reply to

• Zac Hogle
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Posts 788
    • Points 9,705

Let us know how it goes, and what worked best for you!

Z

• Tue, Oct 5 2010 10:06 PM In reply to

L_Town:

The deployment of the airbag is so extremely fast that I believe you will need a high speed camera (at least 300 fps) to capture anything that won't look like a blur. It's alot like trying to film the impact of a bullet on a target. Any chance you can rent one?

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Oct 5 2010 11:05 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 4,565
    • Points 53,895

Larry Rubin:
    The deployment of the airbag is so extremely fast that I believe you will need a high speed camera.....
    I totally quote this very sensible post from Larry.

MC 7 MXO2, P9X79 Pro i7-3930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro 600, StarTech PEX1394B3 FW controller, two 2x1TB raid 0 stripes + MC 3 on G4 MacBook 17" [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Tue, Oct 5 2010 11:22 PM In reply to

If you can I suggest getting either a Phantom camera and operator, which will shoot 720P at 2000fps, or 1080 at 1000fps TOTALLY smooth, no effects requires, or a Weisscam, virtually the same performance, but you could operate it yourself with a touch of training. Using the Avid to get you slow motion is a bandaid for what you are apparently trying to do. With Avid and the Pany, you still only get 60 fps, and just basically multiply frames you already have to make it APPEAR slow. With the other cameras you actually DO have the frames you need to make it slow and all the detail you could ever want.

System 1: HP Z400, 3.20G Quad Core, Quadro 4000, 250G SSD system drive,Windows 7 64, MojoDX w/active hib, 6G ram, Cal Digit VR ESATA Raid, Recommended... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Oct 6 2010 12:00 PM In reply to

• L_TownAO
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 25
    • Points 395

Ok yeah that makes sense.  I have heard of the Phantom camera shooting at 2000 FPS.  I will just film it at 60 FPS and slow it down in Avid.  I will post my findings.  Thanks!

-Brian

• Wed, Oct 6 2010 12:44 PM In reply to

• Tugger
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Champaign Illinois USA
    • Posts 638
    • Points 8,275

Only other thing you can try (other than getting a true fast over-crank camera) is set the shutter speed as high as possible on the pany (or if you're in "film camera" operation set the shutter angle as low as it goes)

good luck

MediaComposer 7 on HP8770 Windows7 pro64 / MediaComposer 5.5 on HP8740.eSATA external media drives. Samsung 24" computer monitors when in office.... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Oct 25 2010 3:54 PM In reply to

• L_TownAO
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 25
    • Points 395

Hey guys.  Sorry it has taken me so long to respond back with my findings.  I just ended up shooting the airbag at 720/60p.  I will slow it down within Avid.  The first airbag we were far away and the second one, we got closer.

I agree in that if we wanted a high-rez slo-mo we would have to rent a different camera.  Thanks!

• Mon, Oct 25 2010 4:01 PM In reply to

If you got MC5 open the file from a bin on a lower framerate project as 24.

This will give you a better start.

Desktop
    Zalman 600W/Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)/i7 2600K@4.5/Corsair 16G DDR3/PNY Quadro 2000D(320.78)/Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS)/ 2x2TB WD RE4@RAID 0/LG BH16NS40/W7 Pro 64bit/Media Composer Software 8.0 with Symphony Option/Matrox MXO2 Mini/2xHP 22'' Monitors/M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

IMDbLinkedInTwitterYouTubeFB

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller