Latest post Thu, Sep 16 2010 6:58 PM by Jayanta. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Sep 16 2010 3:02 PM

• Atomike
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Nebraska
    • Posts 730
    • Points 11,135

The Blue Line

After working with MC5 for a few weeks now, I've decided that I absolutely hate the new way the blue line acts. I'm really used it it staying where I put it when moving clips around. Currently, it jumps to places it has no right to be. I know that by holding down "CNTL", I can get it to act correctly, but this seems to be a useless change to the AVID interface without any benefit at all. At any time. In any way. Ever.

At first, everyone just assumed this was a very bad bug and would be fixed - and yet here we are several patches later with the same extremely bizarre behaviour. I'm starting to think that perhaps this is going to stay the way the blue line works, and that makes me incredibly sad, and quite confused. Has AVID officially said that this new behaviour is now the proper behaviour? If so, I wonder if they've ever used their own interface. I really like just about everything else about MC5.

Media Composer version: usually newest release, or 1 behind. Nvidia GTX 1070Ti Windows 10, Core i7 8700K processor, ASRock GA 1151 Z370 Motherboard... [view my complete system specs]

I spend most of my time between New York and Los Angeles.  In Nebraska.

• Thu, Sep 16 2010 3:34 PM In reply to

• Zac Hogle
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 30 2010
    • Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    • Posts 788
    • Points 9,745

Re: The Blue Line

While I don't think I hate it quite as much as you, I do find it frustrating when I have the line at a designated point and I select a clip with the overwrite tool. All of a sudden I don't have the line to snap the clip to, as it has jumped to wherever I clicked while selecting a clip.

Not a massive problem, per se, but definitely frustrating at times!

Z

• Thu, Sep 16 2010 3:47 PM In reply to

Just going off memory here since I'm not in front of my system... could this be a user setting? I don't recall seeing this behavior? The position indicator/playback head/blue line doesn't jump around like that for me when selecting clips.

:: Work - Symphony Nitris DX 3.5.1, HP xw8600 :: Home - Intel 3.0Ghz Quad CPU 8GB G.Skill DDR3 7-7-7 1600 Ram Asus P5E3 Pro NVidia Quadro FX... [view my complete system specs]

"Don't go by my script, they're always wrong." - producer to me while editing

• Thu, Sep 16 2010 3:49 PM In reply to

go to your timeline settings

under the EDIT tab, un-highlight the "Default Snap to Edit"

Social Media Manager at Avid
    Editor-in-Chief avidblogs.com

Got a great story to tell for #TimelineTuesday?
    Want to share a Media Composer Tutorial on #TutorialThursday?
    Contact me!

Twitter: @editorbelga
    Facebook: fb.com/editorbelga 
    WWLD

• Thu, Sep 16 2010 3:54 PM In reply to

• Zac Hogle
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 30 2010
    • Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    • Posts 788
    • Points 9,745

Thanks for the tip, but the snap to edit isn't the issue (at least not for me). The line will jump into the middle of a clip or wherever I click with the overwrite or splice tool instead of staying where it is,

I haven't seen a setting to turn this off. But like I said, it's a little frustrating at times, but not a huge issue for me. I've learned to work with it.

Z

• Thu, Sep 16 2010 4:46 PM In reply to

• johnnytex
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Apr 18 2006
    • Dallas
    • Posts 152
    • Points 1,890

I agree. Same issue here. The blue line jumps to where I click!

Sys 1: z800 Windows 10 Pro 64 48g Ram Quadro P4000 MC 8.9.3 QT 7.7.9 Nvidia 385.08 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Sep 16 2010 4:53 PM In reply to

yes... you are right... see it here too, haven't noticed if that was different than in previous versions..

Social Media Manager at Avid
    Editor-in-Chief avidblogs.com

Got a great story to tell for #TimelineTuesday?
    Want to share a Media Composer Tutorial on #TutorialThursday?
    Contact me!

Twitter: @editorbelga
    Facebook: fb.com/editorbelga 
    WWLD

• Thu, Sep 16 2010 6:58 PM In reply to

• Jayanta
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 6 2007
    • India
    • Posts 1,504
    • Points 16,255

Yeah definitely very frustrating!

All Sorts of System as I am a freelance Editor [view my complete system specs]

"Out of mud the lovely Lotus Blooms, Out of Strife something higher vies "

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller