Latest post Sat, Aug 7 2010 5:56 PM by gswilson. 23 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jul 31 2010 6:06 PM

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,326
    • Points 53,475

Is Avid DVD up to the standards of MC?

There have been a number of posts lately regarding Avid DVD.

1. The transcoding issue. Avid Dvd is supposed to pass thru DVD and BD compliant files. Tons written about this,  no definative answers to this point.

2.  Now Gi files are created rather than the familiar .iso files which are easily mounted and viewed without actually creating a DVD.

3.  An apparently dead support system. Sonic/Roxio is completely disconnected from its customers.

4.  Stagnant development. A low cost vendor - Pegasus has a product Authoring Works 4 that has tools that allow more finesse in even menu text like shadows, bevels, all sorts of stuff. No transcode issues either.

5. BD audio encode options are extremely limited. The higher Dolby bitrates are not supported.

This app does not meet, in my opinion the performance standards that a purchaser of MC expects from the Avid Name, and the relationship that exists between Avid and Sonic should be re-evaluated.

Avid has opened MC up to a client base that considers output to final user just as important as the editing process. Outputted media should fairly represent the work and quality that preceded the Disk authoring process.

TV John

Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, Quadro K620/GTX260/core 216, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 8.4. Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 15/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

• Sat, Jul 31 2010 6:17 PM In reply to

Re: Is Avid DVD up to the standards of MC?

If Avid were to partner with somebody other than Sonic to provide DVD authoring software, who should it be?

ciao,
    Carl 

Media Composer 2018.12.5 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sat, Jul 31 2010 6:38 PM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,326
    • Points 53,475

I think a little worry on Sonic's part would not be a bad thing.

Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, Quadro K620/GTX260/core 216, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 8.4. Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 15/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

• Sun, Aug 1 2010 12:05 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,267
    • Points 218,975
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

camoscato:

If Avid were to partner with somebody other than Sonic to provide DVD authoring software, who should it be?

ciao,
    Carl 

Carl,

If your "up to the standards of MC" means professional, then you would either have to stay with Sonic or Go to Sony.

Sony has "Blu-Print" for Bluray

Sonic has Sonic Scenarist.

However both of the above have professional prices!

Sonic BD Powerstation (which I use) comes in just under 2,000 usd.
    It has the "dreaded" Sonic DVDitProHD as the centrepiece.
    However it included the industry standard Sonic Cinevision which is an encoder dedicated to DVD and Blu-Ray production.
    The 3rd application in the Suite is Scenarist QC (Quality Control) which is used to preview your work and debug the encodes.
    If you would like to take a closer look at those products in action, I could send you to some tutorials I have made on them.

Encore is from Adobe, DVD architect is from Sony (coupled with Vegas) so they would probably not be willing to co-operate.

TAW4, is a possibility though!
    It has a lot of good stuff.

But regardless of which authoring software is used THERE WILL ALWAYS be complaints from people who cannot get it to work.
    Those who are finding problems today may solve their problems, but a whole new group of people who are happy today would probably be on the forums saying the new application did not work.

It is like queue jumping. Change to a queue that seems to be moving quicker..... and it will stop moving...... whereas the one you left will suddenly speed up.

I vote for keeping with Sonic and getting problems solved so that as many people as possible are happy.

Regards,
    Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Sun, Aug 1 2010 12:54 AM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,326
    • Points 53,475

With all Respect, if the CEO of Avid can address clients of a sub-group of its customers, recognize a deficiency, and come up with a resolution that surprised many, I believe a representative of Sonic/Roxio can make a case before its customers that their business is important, and the company is listening, and working to solve some vexing issues.

I think we deserve no less.

• Sun, Aug 1 2010 1:55 AM In reply to

We found Avid DVD too limited for our purposes.  At $249, DVD Lab Pro does what we need.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Sun, Aug 1 2010 2:10 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,267
    • Points 218,975
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Randall L Rike:
    We found Avid DVD too limited for our purposes

I can believe that Randall, but many of us around the world are moving on to Blu-Ray.
    When I used DVD Lab Pro , many years ago, it did not do Blu-Ray.

Has this changed?

If not, I would find using DVD Lab Pro to be crippling for my purposes.

Regards,
    Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

mobile 813-493-6800

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Sun, Aug 1 2010 2:23 AM In reply to

• Tim
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Dec 18 2009
    • Australia
    • Posts 562
    • Points 7,495

Adobe Encore is the best! heaps of options, easy to use, creates dvd images really fast, & 100% reliable!

• Sun, Aug 1 2010 2:52 AM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,326
    • Points 53,475

As I recall, the folks at Media Chance (Dvd Lab) used to recommend Dvdit for professional work.

• Sun, Aug 1 2010 3:01 AM In reply to

• MondoNo5
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Aug 10 2007
    • Posts 62
    • Points 795

I've used Encore once for a project that I needed slightly more advanced Menu structure for than what Liquid was able to provide for me.  It worked nice and I was able to figure it out very quickly.  It was not my copy though and I no longer have access to it.

In comparison to AvidDVD, I haven't been able to make a simple two title disc (with one Menu button per title) reliably yet.  It's very frustrating!

I think as an alternative to Sonic, Avid should look at using their own software...the DVD creation engine from Liquid (which I believe is still being updated/developed for Studio).  In 5 years I have not needed to go outside Liquid except for one project, and I usually do two a month.  And after the project I used Encore for, I finally sat down and learned how to do menus from Photoshop.  It's been easier than ever to get a very high quality menu system out of Liquid.

One thing I have never understood about Avid...after they bought Pinnacle, they acquired the rights to Liquid and all of its technologies.  While Liquid is done and over with, the few ideas that made it very powerful (background rendering / built in DVD-authoring / ability to open, not just import media...finally fixed with MC5) are ideas Avid owns!  Let's see them put to even better use than they were before by being paired with MC!

Gigabyte Gaming 7 Z170; Intel Core i7 6700; 16GB DDR4 2100; XFX Radeon R390 8GB; Win 10 Education; Avid MC 8.WhateverIsLatest (perpetual); Adobe CS [view my complete system specs]

-Jonathan

Technical Director / Instructor
    Department of Communication
    University of Toledo

Freelance Videographer / Producer / Director

• Sun, Aug 1 2010 3:02 AM In reply to

"... many years ago,  it did not do Blu-Ray. Has this changed? ..."

My editors says yes, and more.  The have a free trial.  Check it out.  I'd like to hear other evaluations as well.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Sun, Aug 1 2010 3:06 AM In reply to

TVJohn:
    the folks at Media Chance (Dvd Lab) used to recommend Dvdit for professional work.
    Only for the first version of DVD Lab. Long before DVDLab Pro was introduced they stopped doing that.  I dumped DVDit Pro the day DVDLab came out. FWIW DVDit had very similar problems back then that it does now. 

I dont think DVDLab has adopted BluRay yet I still use it for all quick SD DVD's. Encore is more flexible for outputting both SD DVD and  BR's from the same project.

• Sun, Aug 1 2010 3:07 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,267
    • Points 218,975
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

TVJohn:

As I recall, the folks at Media Chance (Dvd Lab) used to recommend Dvdit for professional work.

Interesting John.
    That is what happened to me.

About 4 or 5 years ago I was using DVD lab Pro. It was a good piece of software.
    I wanted to get into Blu-ray back then.
    I asked Media Chance when they would include Blu-Ray authoring in DVD Lab Pro.
    They said they had no plans then, and did not think it likely they would ever include Blu-Ray (That was about 5 years ago..... they may have changed course since then)
    THEY recommended I try Sonic DVDitPro HD

Regards,
    Douglas

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Sun, Aug 1 2010 10:34 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,267
    • Points 218,975
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Randall L Rike:

"... many years ago,  it did not do Blu-Ray. Has this changed? ..."

My editors says yes, and more.  The have a free trial.  Check it out.  I'd like to hear other evaluations as well.

Randall, I took a look over at MediaChance site and there was not any mention of Blu-Ray support.

In the days of yore, when I did use DVDLabPro I liked it.
    It was straightforward and easy to learn.
    But I would be wary of going for a product today that does not seem to support Blu-Ray authoring directly.

Regards,
    Douglas

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Sun, Aug 1 2010 3:55 PM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,326
    • Points 53,475

My experiences mirror Douglas'. Five or six years ago the author was absolutely prolific in revising, and promoting this fine work. Lately there has been little activity of note. They are a VERY small organization, and it is likely that the cost of licencing BD is something that would present a considerable obstacle for them.

Rather unfortunate, I am sure they would have come up with something solid. They did not include an mpeg encoder with their product, they recommended TmpGe. Thats where I started as a TmpGe customer.

I own DVDlab-Studio, so I am familiar with their work

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller