Latest post Sun, Aug 1 2010 6:56 PM by Larry Rubin. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jul 28 2010 10:05 PM

• Camilo
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 23 2010
    • Virginia
    • Posts 966
    • Points 12,125

How to capture a still clip?

Does anyone know if it is possible to capture a still snapshot in MC5?  In Liquid there is a camera icon that will take a still image of the clip you are on at the time.  I Would like to know if MC5 has a similar feature.

Thanks for your help!

SemperFi,

Camilo

Intel i7-980x Hexacore water cooled by Corsair H-50 on EVGA Classified 762 with 12Gigs RAM and Quadro FX3800 Video Card. Sound Blaster X-fi Titanium Sound... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 28 2010 10:11 PM In reply to

Re: How to capture a still clip?

You can create a freeze frame clip of any length from the image in the source monitor. Park on the frame you want and go to freeze frame in the clip menu. Set the clip duration and, if there is motion in the frame, choose "interpolated field" - if the frame is static, choose "both fields". All the dialog disappears. Choose freeze frame once more, float over the duration and release. A clip will now be generated, placed in the bin and in the source monitor when complete.

{EDIT} And if you're looking for picons above the clips in the timeline, go to the timeline fast (hamburger) menu, go to "show track" and choose "film".

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Jul 28 2010 10:12 PM In reply to

Hi,

You mean make a freeze frame from a video clip that is already in the system?  If so, yes.  Load the clip into the source (left) monitor, park on the frame you want to freeze, and select Freeze Frame from the Clip menu.

[Edited to add] Stupid Larry beat me!!  :)

ciao,
    Carl 

Media Composer | Software (8.1) w/Symphony option, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 8.1 Pro 64, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Wed, Jul 28 2010 10:18 PM In reply to

Hey ya know, sometimes, even Santa Clause a gotta get wacked!Stick out tongue

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Jul 28 2010 10:26 PM In reply to

• Camilo
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Virginia
    • Posts 966
    • Points 12,125

Thanks for the replies!  I watched a tutorial on creating the freeze frame effect, but in liquid you could actually capture the image and save it as a jpg for use in other applications like creating menus or disk labels, etc.  Can the freeze frame clip in MC5 be saved in such a manner?

Thanks!!!

SemperFi,

Camilo

Intel i7-980x Hexacore water cooled by Corsair H-50 on EVGA Classified 762 with 12Gigs RAM and Quadro FX3800 Video Card. Sound Blaster X-fi Titanium Sound... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 28 2010 10:27 PM In reply to

Yes, easily. Park on the frame in the source monitor, right click and choose export. Set up an appropriate profile. Done.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Jul 28 2010 10:30 PM In reply to

• Camilo
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Virginia
    • Posts 966
    • Points 12,125

Again, THANK YOU!!!  With a little (lot) of help and some patience I WILL learn this application! LOL.. Big Smile

• Wed, Jul 28 2010 10:35 PM In reply to

• drbgaijin
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Kumamoto, Japan
    • Posts 6,638
    • Points 83,290

Camilo:
    but in liquid you could actually capture the image and save it as a jpg for use in other applications like creating menus or disk labels, etc.

Hello and welcome to the MC forums, Camilo

I understand your line of thought and when I came from Liquid to MC, I had similar thoughts.

But very soon after I arrived (about 3 or 4 days to be precise) I realised that I was not working with Liquid anymore..... I was working with MC.

The ONLY way to harness the full power of MC is to use it as it was intended.
    Forget what you could do in Liquid.
    Now you have to start looking at what you can do in MC.

Good luck,

Douglas

System 1:AMC 6.5.4, Edius Pro 7.31 - Windows 7 64 bit Pro SP1 - Nvidia Quadro FX3700, 331.65 driver - Quicktime 7.7.5 - 24GB memory, i7 980 3.33GHz CPU... [view my complete system specs]

Creator of Video Tutorials that mere mortals can understand

douglas@gaijin-eyes.com     Gaijin-Eyes Tutorials

• Wed, Jul 28 2010 10:53 PM In reply to

• Camilo
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Virginia
    • Posts 966
    • Points 12,125

Thanks for the comment!  I realized as soon as I opened MC5 that I was not in Liquid... LOL.  I'm in the process of looking hard at what I can do in MC5 and appreciate all the help and great tutorials!  I'm working on a simple graduation project right now trying to learn the basics, but I have only a few weeks left to learn how to do some multicam editing as that is what I do mostly and will be bombarded with multicam projects by the end of August.  I no doubt will be asking many more questions on here and can't thank all of you enough for the help.

SemperFi,

Camilo

• Sun, Aug 1 2010 6:39 PM In reply to

• Lance
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 16 2006
    • Michigan
    • Posts 77
    • Points 1,085

Camilo,

Did you ever figure out how to export a single frame as a jpeg?  I put the clip in the source monitor, set the marker on the frame, right-clicked and chose "export," but there was no "jpeg" or "tiff" choice.  Are any of the choices there compatible with what I think of as a "picture?"  In "export setting," they all seem to be video formats.  In clicking on "Options.." I get a different list of export settings, again none of which are jpg or tiff or other picture format.

Thanks, 

Lance

Dell T3500 Quad Core Intel Xeon 2.8 GHz, 6 GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro FX3800, 320 GB hard drive, 1TB hard drive, Windows 7, 64-bit, Firewire, MC 5.0... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Aug 1 2010 6:47 PM In reply to

• Lance
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 16 2006
    • Michigan
    • Posts 77
    • Points 1,085

Oops, never mind.  I found it.  For others, with the clip in the source monitor, right click and select "Export..."  Then click "Options..." then next to "Export Method" click the drop-down box and select "Copy all Media," then select "Graphic."  Under "Graphic Format" are all the jpeg, tiff, etc. settings!

Dell T3500 Quad Core Intel Xeon 2.8 GHz, 6 GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro FX3800, 320 GB hard drive, 1TB hard drive, Windows 7, 64-bit, Firewire, MC 5.0... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Aug 1 2010 6:56 PM In reply to

Lance:

On the export tool, first choose a profile "untitled". Then, choose "options". From the export as tab, choose "graphic". Then choose what ever file format and other details you want, and do a "save as" to add that profile to the list. Be sure to immediately do a "save" after the "save as". This is how you custom create any profile you want. Always start with the untitled profile.

{EDIT} Looks like we were cross posting at the same time. Glad you found your way!

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller