Latest post Wed, Jul 14 2010 4:04 PM by Metomunc. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jul 14 2010 1:46 AM

• Metomunc
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 14 2010
    • Posts 5
    • Points 55

8mm Sony Camcorder tapes hate avid

Hi,  I'm new to the Avid forums and somewhat new to Avid.

I'm trying to capture a wedding that's on a 8mm tape through a little Sony Digital8 Handycam (DCR- TRV460 NTSC).  The first time I tried, the head was dirty on the camera.  I could get audio and video captured, but both were stuttersome and messy. (Using Composer v4.04)

I've since cleaned the head on the camera and tried again to capture.  The video looks good as new, but now I'm getting no audio into the computer at all.  The camera will play back the audio, but not avid.  Avid reads both the audio and video as 1394 generic device and I am transferring from the A/V port of the camera to the firewire port of the computer via a firewire.

The question is how do I get that audio to capture?  I've messed with all the camera menu settings dealing with audio, but alas ... well ... you know.

Thanks for reading this and thanks for any help on this. Smile
    - METOMUNC -  

• Wed, Jul 14 2010 5:14 AM In reply to

• Vidiot Tech
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 6 2006
    • South Carolina
    • Posts 155
    • Points 1,815

Re: 8mm Sony Camcorder tapes hate avid

Make sure both AVID & the cam have the same audio rate. Most of the consumer Sony cams default to 36(?)K audio, AVID my be looking for 48K.

System Specs: Dell M90, 4GB Ram (3GB Avid Enabled), nVidia FX 1500 w/ driver 8.4.2.9, MC 2.8, QT 7.2, External WD 750 GB eSata Drive [view my complete system specs]

Steve Godsey, CLVS

Some producers are like slinkies: Completely useless, but you can't help but smile when you push one down the stairs.

• Wed, Jul 14 2010 4:04 PM In reply to

• Metomunc
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 14 2010
    • Posts 5
    • Points 55

Re: 8mm Sony Camcorder tapes hate avid

That sounds like good advice, however I must follow that with a stupid question:  Where do I find the audio rate in Avid (PC) or on the camera?

I've changed things in Avid under settings for capture audio and nothing seems to be changing anything.
    Here's what I've got for AudioProject Settings:

-MAIN-
    sample rate: 32 kHz
    Audio file format: PCM (MXF)
    Sample bit depth 16
    DV audio pattern: unlocked audio
    Convert rates: Always

-INPUT-
    Host 1394

-OUTPUT-
    Stereo -- mix to 1 and 2

-HARDWARE- (can't change this stuff)
    Direct sound Audio & 1394 Audio
    peripherals: Avid OHCI
    sync: Automatic

I've also gone through every setting on my camcorder.  The weird thing is that the audio will playback through the camera and that it was working at one time playing through the computer before I cleaned the heads on the camera.  No settings have been changed since then.  Do I need something other than a Firewire to transfer audio?

Thanks for reading this. :)    

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller