Latest post Wed, Nov 24 2010 7:00 PM by hagi. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jul 13 2010 1:59 PM

• PeteEdit
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, May 20 2006
    • Posts 74
    • Points 1,190

Major audio problems with MC 5

I dont know if anyone else is experiencing these audio problems with mc5

When restarting my computer and re-opening a project, all audio using the audio mixer returns all audio back to dead 0.

This is a long project (over 2 hours) with over one hundred of audio tweaks and cuts, every one has returned to zero.

There are also many other audio problems I am experienceing like, audio just stops playing, then returns. Audio gets louder and lower randomly.

P2 Footage - 4 channel 48k - 720p

Dell T3400 - core 2, 4 gigs RAM, Sound Max ESP onboard sound

• Wed, Jul 14 2010 12:06 AM In reply to

• wkumingo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Chicago
    • Posts 93
    • Points 1,140

Re: Major audio problems with MC 5

PeteEdit:
    There are also many other audio problems I am experienceing like, audio just stops playing, then returns. Audio gets louder and lower randomly.

I haven't had my audio "zero" out on me, but I am experiencing the same random audio "dropouts" and level changes that you're experiencing as well. For me it's on a number of DV25 projects (SD, both 32kHz and 48kHz media) and it's been happening since day one of MC5 upgrade. It seems to be more prevalent on clips with multiple audio adjustments going on, such as Clip Gain, Auto Gain and around realtime audio dissolves. But it happens on simple tracks too... so maybe scratch that idea. Stopping playback and starting again right away "fixes" it, but this obviously negates the possibility of playing out to tape.

Exported Same as Source QTs are all perfectly fine so I haven't tried to troubleshoot too much. I was hoping for it to be a known issue, since it's really quite obvious (and alarming) if it's happening.

I thought it might have been my motherboard's Realtek HD Audio, but maybe not, since you've got the same problems with SoundMax. I will try the MC 5.0.1 update but there's no indication of this being fixed or being a known issue in the ReadMe. If I get adventurous I may try popping in an old Creative SoundBlaster PCI card at some point.

Another thought may be that my projects were started under MC v4, so I have not yet tried with media captured in a newly created MC v5 project. I can't imagine this being a problem though...? (Famous last words.)

My system is not "authorized," so I understand the difficulty of finding a solution. Can anyone else shed light on this?

Self-built -- MC: v6.0.1 software only, OS: Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit, Motherboard: EVGA X58 3-way SLI, Processor: Core i7 920, Graphics Card: Gigabyte... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 14 2010 1:52 AM In reply to

• Metomunc
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 14 2010
    • Posts 5
    • Points 55

I've got the same problem.  Lack of authorization limits lots of things. 

My guess would be that the problem lies somewhere between the soundcard and how avid is using/reading from the soundcard ... but ... that's only a random guess.

• Wed, Jul 14 2010 2:42 AM In reply to

• newshound
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 13
    • Points 175

When adding or replacing an audio clip in the timeline a couple of times, I've noticed there was no sound on playback.  (PC, MC 5.0.1)  The audio mixer still shows 0 VU, and bumping the level control brings back the audio.

This only happens occasionally and not sure what the circumstances are to reproduce it.

Weird.

Dell T3400, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro FX 3700 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jul 17 2010 10:56 PM In reply to

• wkumingo
    • Not Ranked
    • Chicago
    • Posts 93
    • Points 1,140

I replied earlier (see above) about spotty audio playback, such as random dropouts and sudden loud/soft audio issues.

I wanted to update this thread on my troubleshooting to say that the update to MC 5.01, and the disabling of Realtek HD Control Panel still did NOT solve the problem.

I also tried opening the same project on a dual-core Gateway laptop with Vista 64 Home that has Conexant audio (not Realtek). And although audio playback was much better at first, eventually the same problems began surfacing. Albeit slightly less frequently it seemed.

I checked the specs for a few of the officially qualified Avid workstations from Dell and HP, and Realtek audio is in use on those too, so Realtek codecs would not seem to be contributing to this problem. I'm beginning to think this is an Avid bug that will eventually (hopefully) need ot be addressed. Please post if you're in a similer boat.

Self-built -- MC: v6.0.1 software only, OS: Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit, Motherboard: EVGA X58 3-way SLI, Processor: Core i7 920, Graphics Card: Gigabyte... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Sep 18 2010 11:18 PM In reply to

• misterben823
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Oct 17 2009
    • Winston-Salem, NC
    • Posts 7
    • Points 105

I'm also struggling with intermittent and odd audio problems in my MC5 project. Sometimes everything is fine. But most of the time, there are entire tracks that just don't want to work. It's odd, as if those tracks somehow aren't "activated". I can hear tracks one and two, but not three and four, or I can hear three and four, but not five and six, etc. 

This is a project that I moved from MC 4 to MC 5. I have a feeling it has something to do with that, but I've been using MC 5 for a bit now and don't want to go back to 4. 

Anyone have any clues as to what's going on here? 

MacBook Pro, 2.4ghz Intel Core2Duo, 4GB RAM. Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard). Avid Media Composer 5 MacPro, 8-core, 8gb RAM, Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Sep 18 2010 11:49 PM In reply to

Any other users with these issues please report in IF you can reliably replicate a specific malfunction over and over again, and please provide your correlations when you do. We need to establish patterns that Avid engineering can replicate. The more experimenting and detail you can provide, the better.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Sep 20 2010 7:07 PM In reply to

• wkumingo
    • Not Ranked
    • Chicago
    • Posts 93
    • Points 1,140

Hi Larry-

There's another thread here http://community.avid.com/forums/t/88008.aspx

...with a few more recent and varied posts of essentially the same audio issues. The really interesting bit is that Mac users are chiming in, as well as Nitris, Symphony, Mojo SDI and software only. 64-bit OS (Vista 64, Win 7 64 and OS X) does seem to be a common denominator though...

Speaking from experience, the audio fluctuations are seemingly random and nearly impossible to reproduce with any consistency. But once it starts happening, it tends to keep happening.

-wayne

• Mon, Sep 20 2010 7:21 PM In reply to

wkumingo:
    Speaking from experience, the audio fluctuations are seemingly random and nearly impossible to reproduce with any consistency.

And until users can replicate the problem reliably and consistently on supported systems, I cannot escalate it.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Thu, Oct 28 2010 3:54 PM In reply to

• Don
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, May 24 2007
    • Potomac, MD
    • Posts 102
    • Points 1,280

I'm using MC 5.03 and having similar audio problems as described in this post. 

I have the Nitris with a 2x3 GHZ Quad core Intel Xeon Mac with 4GB of Ram. 

Here's what I'm doing.  I'm linking to Cannon 5D quicktimes on a firewire 800 drive.  The drive does not supply it's own power.  I got it form the client so I'm trying to use it instead of moveing 250GB to our local drives.  I think this may be part of the problem, not sure.

I've cut 3- 2 minute sequences with music that was imported from uncompressed wav files.   These are basically interviews.  In order to get the synced audio I first made reference movies in FCP.  I know that's probably an issue to.  But should it be? 

Basically, I didn't have time to go back and resync all these shot so I decided to take advantage of the new AMA capabilities.  The cool thing was all 5 tracks of audio from FCP came over with the Quicktime references. 

The uncool thing is I have this audio play back problem.  The audio seems to lag behind the video and thus I get some audio hits as well.  Once I export the final version I'm fine, so this will not affect the final output.

The problem is explaining the problem to my client.  I can deal with it to save a bit of time, but maybe there's an answer I'm not seeing that's out there.

If so please let me know. 

Thanks.

DL

iMac 3.5ghz i7 Core. 24GB Ram. MC 7.03 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Oct 28 2010 4:00 PM In reply to

Sorry but how it is possible to link H264 from a drive that has no power?

H264 are very heavy files.

Desktop
    Zalman 600W/Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)/i7 2600K@4.5/Corsair 16G DDR3/PNY Quadro 2000D(310.90)/WD VelociRaptor 300@10K(OS)/ 2x2TB WD RE4@RAID 0/LG BH16NS40/W7 Pro 64bit/Symphony 7.0.3/Matrox MXO2 Mini/2xHP 22'' Monitors/M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

IMDbLinkedInTwitterYouTubeFB

• Thu, Oct 28 2010 4:09 PM In reply to

A drive that is not self powered is being powered from an external power supply, like a Seagate 600.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Thu, Oct 28 2010 4:11 PM In reply to

If he means that OK.

But again H264 should not be linked and worked by there.

Even on my 1TB/s RAID 0 they are failing to be smooth.

Desktop
    Zalman 600W/Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)/i7 2600K@4.5/Corsair 16G DDR3/PNY Quadro 2000D(310.90)/WD VelociRaptor 300@10K(OS)/ 2x2TB WD RE4@RAID 0/LG BH16NS40/W7 Pro 64bit/Symphony 7.0.3/Matrox MXO2 Mini/2xHP 22'' Monitors/M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

IMDbLinkedInTwitterYouTubeFB

• Thu, Oct 28 2010 8:12 PM In reply to

• Don
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, May 24 2007
    • Potomac, MD
    • Posts 102
    • Points 1,280

I noticed that if I render a color effect on a top track the performance does get better, but it still lags. 

So am I right to think linking to H264 files is not perfected then?  It seems that the lagging happens on the cuts.

Any suggestions ont his issue? 

Thanks.

DL

iMac 3.5ghz i7 Core. 24GB Ram. MC 7.03 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 23 2010 3:15 AM In reply to

• hagi
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 291
    • Points 3,895

newshound:

When adding or replacing an audio clip in the timeline a couple of times, I've noticed there was no sound on playback.  (PC, MC 5.0.1)  The audio mixer still shows 0 VU, and bumping the level control brings back the audio.

This only happens occasionally and not sure what the circumstances are to reproduce it.

Weird.

I am still on 5.01 and experiencing NO audio playback when I drop an audio file in the timeline. This is random and most of the time, when I import the audio and preview, it plays fine, but as soon as I drop it in the timeline and hit play, the VU remains at 0 and the progress bar seems to be moving, and it also locks out the preview audio. In a nutshell, as soon as I drop the audio in the timeline, all audio do not play

HP Z800 2.9Ghz(2x) 12GB Ram, Nvidia Quadro 4000, HP workstation xw8200 4Gig Ram No Mojo Canon xl2/ HMC150 Media Composer 6.0.0 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >

Avid Technology, Inc. brands:
M-Audio  |   Sibelius  |   Pinnacle Systems  |  

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller