Latest post Tue, Aug 10 2010 6:33 AM by daylife. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jun 15 2010 3:20 AM

• mb123
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 15 2010
    • Posts 13
    • Points 170

default Composer window width

Hi There,

Long time reader, first time poster!

And I have an odd first question... it's not particularily mission critical but it's just been bugging me for a long time and I thought someone out there might have a quick and easy fix for me.

I have a dual monitor setup with a 22"  1680x1050 LCD on the left and a 19" 1280x1024  LCD on the right. Works (mostly) fine for me as the vertical height of each monitor is roughly the same. The problem when running Avid is that I like to keep my Composer window and my timeline on the left (primary) monitor as it's wider and keep my bins and all my other junk on the right screen. This setup works alright except that the composer window seems to always default to the width of the right screen (1280 pixels) even though it's always sitting on the wider screen. I feel like this is because the software expects you to keep the composer window on the right and so it measures that monitor's resolution and adjusts the width of the composer accordingly. Dragging it out won't make it any bigger and it always seems to snap back to the same 1280 wide resolution. I realize I could just switch my monitors so it seems kind of silly but I prefer having the wider screen as my primary windows monitor. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to convince the Avid that the composer window can be bigger by default on the left screen. Or convince it that the left screen is the right screen or something along those lines. I've managed to coax it around if I try to resize it enough and get it to be bigger briefly but when I try to save the workspace with the bigger composer window, it immediately snaps back to default width. I've been having this annoyance for many many versions now and having just upgraded to v5 with no change, I thought I would reach out to other users who might have an answer....perhaps a console command or something? I was sifting through there as well.

Oh yeah, running MC v5 on an i7 system with an Nvidia card. But it also happened on my older system with the same monitors.

Thanks,
    Michael

• Tue, Jun 15 2010 6:36 AM In reply to

Re: default Composer window width

did you check what your primary monitor is in windows/nVidia driver. You might want to experiment with that.

Dell Precision 670, Xeon 3Ghz 3GB Memory 1 x 250 systemdisk, Gb 2x500 Gb datadisks, 4x 1Tb datadisks, Soundblaster Audigy, Quadro FX 1400, MC latest, Mojo... [view my complete system specs]

http://www.AvidUserGroup.NL fcp2avid

"The Technology Is Not Guilty" - Nicolas Philibert quoted in "Documentary in the digital age" by Maxine Baker (2006)

• Tue, Jun 15 2010 6:45 AM In reply to

• mb123
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 13
    • Points 170

Thanks for the quick response....I have tried the nvidia driver both ways (with left as 1 and right as 2 and vice versa)...i think as long as my Windows primary monitor is the big one and the secondary one is the small one, Avid seems to default the width to the secondary monitor width.

• Tue, Jun 15 2010 7:53 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,551
    • Points 65,105

mb123:
    as long as my Windows primary monitor is the big one and the secondary one is the small one, Avid seems to default the width to the secondary monitor width.
    Yes it does, MC always defaults to the smaller resolution when using monitors of different size/resolution; the only thing I can think of is getting another 22" 1680x1050 monitor, sorry about this; moreover, the application defaults both the timeline and the composer window on the right (secondary) monitor, of course You can save a toolset/workspace with the timeline and the composer windows placed whrerever You like, but I personally prefer to stick to the application default, not knowing if there's some technical reason for this.

Symphony 2018.12.3, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Tue, Jun 15 2010 10:51 PM In reply to

• mb123
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 13
    • Points 170

Thanks!  Yeah, I had a feeling I was up the creek on this one. I don't know why I can't just resize the windows regardless of the monitor's resolution, but I suppose there's some underlying technical reason. One of these days it'll frustrate me enough to go out and get a new LCD. Right around the time Avid gets a new feature to allow for arbitrary resizing of the composer window Smile

• Sun, Aug 8 2010 4:59 PM In reply to

• daylife
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Aug 8 2010
    • Posts 4
    • Points 60

I'm currently exploring Avid Media Composer 5 using the trial version because I'm considering the switch from Premiere Pro. But the GUI is a nightmare. I have one large widescreen display, resolution 1920x1200. Then a second one at 1280x1024. I want to use the second monitor for panels only, viewing the Composer window at my primary screen.

Now here's the thing: the composer window width is stuck at 1280 pixels, leaving a whole lot of gray on my screen while keeping the viewers way too small. And it won't resize!

This is a major issue for me. Why o why won't Media Composer allow me to enlargen the composer window?! Seriously, you can't expect everyone to just buy a new second monitor that has the same resolution, that's insane. Isn't there any way to fix this (perhaps by hacking config files)?

• Sun, Aug 8 2010 7:40 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,551
    • Points 65,105

Welcome to the forum daylife, I'm afraid that Avid will stick to one of the available resolutions for both monitors, and there's no way around it that I know of (I wish I knew).

Symphony 2018.12.3, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Mon, Aug 9 2010 2:21 PM In reply to

• daylife
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 60

Thank you for your reply luca.mg.

This is very unfortunate. I think this, and a second (different) problem, will prevent me from switching to Avid for now. Too bad, because I like the Avid workflow using more keyboard less mouse. I'll look into the upcoming Lightworks open source package.

• Mon, Aug 9 2010 2:26 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,551
    • Points 65,105

daylife:
    second (different) problem
    What is that?
    daylife:
    I'll look into the upcoming Lightworks open source package.
    Very curious to see that too, but it's been upcoming for a while and it's not coming up...

peace luca

• Mon, Aug 9 2010 4:38 PM In reply to

• daylife
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 60

luca.mg:
    What is that?

That's a bit outside the scope of this topic but I'll explain briefly: I can playback DV projects on my external attached Canon XL1 cam, but I can't playback HD projects because it wants to do so using the DVCProHD format; it won't downscale. I use the camera to pass through the video signal into a laptop for real-time waveform monitoring and displaying vectorscopes. Now of course displaying DV output signal information from HD source footage gives low resolution monitoring, but it's a cheap solution for color correction.

luca.mg:
    Very curious to see that too, but it's been upcoming for a while and it's not coming up...

It'll be revealed at the IBC2010 next month in Amsterdam. Release date is sometime Q3, so probably by the end of september.

• Mon, Aug 9 2010 7:37 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,551
    • Points 65,105

As for monitoring You can switch the project to an SD resolution, feed that to Your camera, and send it to the monitor; or better yet get the cheap Matrox box...

peace luca

• Mon, Aug 9 2010 7:49 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,405
    • Points 41,095

Back to the original question.

You have described my setup almost exactly.  Except I am using an even bigger difference.  Nice new LCD on left, old small CRT on right.

My solution was to modify all the Tool settings.  Now any time I start a new project things are where I like them.  No issues.

I am on Mac, so I do not know if that applies here.

Have you tried that?

I do see the issue is one of size of the windows.  I think I set the right monitor to a high rez.  That works, though, because it is a CRT.

Cheers,

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.10.0 but playing w 2018.11| OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Mon, Aug 9 2010 8:00 PM In reply to

• mb123
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 13
    • Points 170

Hey folks,

Thanks for resurrecting my old thread.... I'd still love to solve this one. Jef, what do you mean by modify all the Tool settings?

Thanks,

Michael

• Tue, Aug 10 2010 1:14 AM In reply to

• Jill
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, May 4 2010
    • Posts 13
    • Points 175

I'm running Avid Media Composer 5.01 registered, and have the same monitor configuration as you describe. I have one large widescreen display, resolution 1920x1200. Then a second one at 1280x1024. I use the second monitor for panels only, and viewing the Composer window on my primary screen.

When AVID starts up, I have some gray real estate on the bottom of my composer window, and all I have to do is drag the composer window down so it fits the whole screen.

I have an Nvidia 3800 graphics card, and run Windows 7 Professional.

Jill

Media Composer 7, Dell Studio XPS 435MT (i7-920), Windows 7 Professional 64bit, 15GB Ram, Nvidia Quadro FX 3800, QT 7.6.8, Canon HV30, Sony NEX-6. [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Aug 10 2010 6:33 AM In reply to

• daylife
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 60

OK, great. I found a little workaround that isn't very pretty, but seems to work temporarily. Not what you can call a solution, but definetely a step forward. It's a bit more complicated than what Jill describes, but the first part is the same. Here it goes: it'll resize fine when I first drag the bottom border of the composer window (that controls its height) to the bottom of the screen. The window will then become either bigger, displaying only one viewer (in source/record mode) or smaller (in color correction mode). Make sure that in any case it doesn't overlap with the timeline or any other window. Then drag the right border to the right of the screen, and voila: bigger sized composer window.

Of course, once you switch to a different Toolset or mode you're back where you've started. But at least I'm only two click/drags away from a bigger sized display.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller