Latest post Tue, Jun 8 2010 1:33 AM by Larry Rubin. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jun 5 2010 8:10 PM

• micha2489
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jun 16 2008
    • Posts 14
    • Points 210

Getting ready for MC 5 - Uninstalling/deinstalling old version

Hello everyone! Huh?

Does any of you know the best way to prepare one's system for upgrading especially to MC 5 (running MC 4). I do not want to reinstall Windows XP prior to an upgrade. However I have in mind that deinstalling before installing a new MC version might require manual changes to the registry. Does this still hold true?
    I could not find any information on Uninstalling/deinstalling in the Avid Media Composer/Basic Guide, nor Avid Installation Guide nor could I find much information in the forums (eg "Posting Suggestions & General Information").

Please help or tell me if I have overseen important information.

Thank you very much in advance!

Micha

• Sat, Jun 5 2010 8:22 PM In reply to

Re: Getting ready for MC 5 - Uninstalling/deinstalling old version

The ReadME for v5 (when released) should have instructions on Installation procedure.

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Sat, Jun 5 2010 8:37 PM In reply to

Kenton.VanNatten:
    The ReadME for v5 (when released)
    Until then the readme that came with MC 4 should give you a fairly good idea of what night be needed

• Sat, Jun 5 2010 9:01 PM In reply to

Here is the Avid officially recommended uninstall/reinstall procedure.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sat, Jun 5 2010 10:09 PM In reply to

• yon1
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 15 2006
    • Posts 317
    • Points 4,540

Hi

I have the trial version of MC installed and have not yet installed the version I've Bought

Should I wait to install MC 5 ? Does it need to be installed ont top of 4 ?

Thanks

MC 5.04 windows 7, Core i7 CPU, MoBo Asus P6X58D , 6GB RAM, Quadro 2000D, 512GB & Raid 0 1TB, [view my complete system specs]

Yonatan

• Sat, Jun 5 2010 10:14 PM In reply to

Each version of Avid is an entity unto itself. It is never installed on top of an existing version. The existing version must be uninstalled first. If you can wait a few more days, I would, if I were you.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sat, Jun 5 2010 10:19 PM In reply to

• micha2489
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jun 16 2008
    • Posts 14
    • Points 210

Larry Rubin:
    icially recommended uninstall/reinstall procedure.

That was the information I was looking for but somehow was unable to find.

Thank you all!!

Micha

• Sat, Jun 5 2010 10:25 PM In reply to

You're quite welcome, Micha. We're always glad to help out.Yes

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Jun 7 2010 5:18 PM In reply to

• Jill
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, May 4 2010
    • Posts 13
    • Points 175

I have a dual-boot/dual drive computer with a separate Windows 7 Professional boot running off each drive. I am currently running MC 4.05 under one of the Windows 7 boots. I know MC 4 is not supported on Windows 7, but I bought and installed MC 4 last month so I could upgrade to MC 5 for free, and MC 4 has worked well for me under Windows 7.

I'd like to be able to test MC 5 in trial mode on one boot, with my working/activated MC 4 on the other boot. Is this possible? 

When I decide to activate MC 5, I assume that all I need to do is deactivate MC4 on the other system boot. Is this assumption correct? 

Thanks,

Jill

Media Composer 7, Dell Studio XPS 435MT (i7-920), Windows 7 Professional 64bit, 15GB Ram, Nvidia Quadro FX 3800, QT 7.6.8, Canon HV30, Sony NEX-6. [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 7 2010 5:27 PM In reply to

Jill:
    When I decide to activate MC 5, I assume that all I need to do is deactivate MC4 on the other system boot. Is this assumption correct? 

Yes, that is correct. You must deactivate MC 4 first.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Jun 7 2010 11:59 PM In reply to

• JohnnyReboot
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Southern CA
    • Posts 771
    • Points 9,415

Larry Rubin:

Here is the Avid officially recommended uninstall/reinstall procedure.

I downloaded v3.5.9...Is it necessary to perform all the steps in that link when going from v3.1.1 to v3.5.9?

Or can I just follow these directions as stated in the 3.5.9 Readme...

If you are updating from a previous release, you should uninstall the existing editing application. You should also uninstall Digi Drivers using Add/Remove from the Control Panel. Reboot the system and then install the new editing application.

Thx, JR

Media Composer v3.5.9.15-HP xw8000-TYAN Mobo S2663-Dual 2.8 Xeons-Windows XP Pro SP3-Hyperthreading On-3G RAM-Executed Install3GB.bat-Page File Initial... [view my complete system specs]

That's right...an xw8000.

• Tue, Jun 8 2010 12:26 AM In reply to

JR:

That procedure is meant for full clean installs of a new version replacing an old one (MC 3 to 4, for example). In your case you can defer to the readme instructions.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Jun 8 2010 12:45 AM In reply to

• JohnnyReboot
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Southern CA
    • Posts 771
    • Points 9,415

Larry Rubin:

JR:

That procedure is meant for full clean installs of a new version replacing an old one (MC 3 to 4, for example). In your case you can defer to the readme instructions.

Thanks Larry...

I don't recall seeing that link and info when I went from Xpress Pro to MC so I probably never ran through it.  Would there be any harm in following that procedure now, before going to v3.5.9?

Also, is there a "Avid folder hierarchy" list somewhere that would show where the various Avid folders (Attic, AVX2, etc) should be located?  I seem to have a few duplicate folders on my system that might not need to be there.  Thx.

Media Composer v3.5.9.15-HP xw8000-TYAN Mobo S2663-Dual 2.8 Xeons-Windows XP Pro SP3-Hyperthreading On-3G RAM-Executed Install3GB.bat-Page File Initial... [view my complete system specs]

• Tue, Jun 8 2010 1:07 AM In reply to

JohnnyReboot:
    Would there be any harm in following that procedure now, before going to v3.5.9?

No, it can't do any harm, but I'd go ahead and follow the readme instructions first, and if everything works normally as expected, you've saved yourself significant work and time.

JohnnyReboot:
    ...is there a "Avid folder hierarchy" list somewhere that would show where the various Avid folders (Attic, AVX2, etc) should be located? 

Not that I've seen. But I believe the path is C:\program files\Avid\Avid Media Composer\Avid Attic. I'll double check on the AVX folder tomorrow, but most everything Avid specific is in the main Avid Media Composer folder.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Jun 8 2010 1:27 AM In reply to

• JohnnyReboot
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Southern CA
    • Posts 771
    • Points 9,415

Larry Rubin:

JohnnyReboot:
    Would there be any harm in following that procedure now, before going to v3.5.9?

No, it can't do any harm, but I'd go ahead and follow the readme instructions first, and if everything works normally as expected, you've saved yourself significant work and time.

I'll do that.

JohnnyReboot:
    ...is there a "Avid folder hierarchy" list somewhere that would show where the various Avid folders (Attic, AVX2, etc) should be located? 

Not that I've seen. But I believe the path is C:\program files\Avid\Avid Media Composer\Avid Attic. I'll double check on the AVX folder tomorrow, but most everything Avid specific is in the main Avid Media Composer folder.

My Avid Attic resides in C\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Avid Media Composer...and 9 other Avid specific folders also reside there...which is why I'm mildly concerned.

Thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller