Latest post Tue, Apr 1 2014 5:13 AM by luca.mg. 35 replies.
Page 3 of 3 (36 items) < Previous 1 2 3
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jun 22 2010 10:02 PM In reply to

• dermot
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Vancouver, Canada
    • Posts 524
    • Points 6,220

Re: Red and rescaling

OliverPeters:
    My preferred route is to use the RED tools, because you have better access to all the raw data, such as curves and various scaling algorithms. This is missing from most SDK implementations. Not sure on DS, with the SDK

All those "RED tools" are avb at any time in DS...  all the gamma curves, camera color space, all the scaling, all the camera data, metadata, defaults, OLP and on and on... and i can change any of those paramiters at any time, all the time... having the best debayer can make a huge diffrence to the noise in the image, plus the ablity to work with the files once debayered and being able to change the settings n a shot by shot basis when issues arrise is a huge one...

Add that to the ablity to edit with it, and if you can afford the price of entry it clearly wacks CS5 about the head & shoulders for workflow, speed & flexiablity.. and FCP is so far behind it's ri-donk-U-lus, it still can't run r3d native...

<sigh>

d.

8600 - 3700 - AJA 2Ke - u320 array - Dream Color [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: ,
  • Sat, Mar 29 2014 12:49 PM In reply to

• editmk
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 10 2007
    • London
    • Posts 244
    • Points 3,365

BOOM! Frame Flex is exactly this product feature request asked for in May 2010. Only 4 years late but still! 

Thanks Avid for finally listening!!!

Now if only we could get grouping fixed and macros added, I would be in heaven. 

HP XW8600 Dual Quad Core 3 Ghz Windows 8 16 Gigs of Ram 24TB of Raid 10 sata storage Media Composer 7 Matrox MX02 Mini [view my complete system specs]

www.mikegreen.tv

• Sat, Mar 29 2014 1:20 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,550
    • Points 65,100

Well Mike, four years and we're almost there, but not there yet, since zooming in into larger than HD footage works well with AMA linked clips BEFORE transcoding/consolidating, while it's not quite there in the timeline with already digitized stuff. Search the forums for recent posts on Frameflex to find out more. This feature request for full access to the footage full resolution is tied up to the (older) request for resolution indipendence, see http://community.avid.com/forums/t/59857.aspx. We'll never get there unless Avid extensively rewrites the DNxHD codec, or totally drops it in favour of a new codec, since DNxHD is tied down to broadcast only resolutions. Avid perhaps will eventually deliver resolution indipendence, and it'll be well implemented, but it will arrive when it'll be too late, when we all will be asking for true holographic footage compliance!

Symphony 2018.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Mon, Mar 31 2014 9:25 PM In reply to

• erik1185
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • USA
    • Posts 1,063
    • Points 13,095

Resolution Independence is coming...

http://community.avid.com/forums/t/126607.aspx

Late 2013 MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB RAM, Intel Iris 1536 MB Graphics [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 31 2014 10:34 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,386
    • Points 97,010

In fairness, it isn't a trivial matter to rewrite a core component of an NLE, which is what would be involved in rewriting the render engine to handle resolution and frame rate independence.  I suspect that where Avid fell over on this was back when they were winding up the last incarnation of Xpress.  That was the time to be making the move to resolution independence across their post tool range.  But it's very easy to assess with 20/20 hindsight.

It would probably have taken them a good few years and involved a fair outlay of time and money.  And the money men would have argued very strongly against doing it when they already had a successful product range.  Why they didn't just leverage the DS technology is probably more due to the "not invented here" syndrome than anything else.

Why have they now EOL'd DS at just the time when resolution independence is becoming a serious issue?  Who can say?

Meanwhile Adobe already had a working resolution independent engine in their stable - inside After Effects.  Move it into Premiere and they were cooking.  All that they then had to do was pass across some of the functions from that engine to the display card.  The sales team sold that product as the Mercury engine, and the rest is history.

Avid are starting from a long way back.  Depending on when they started work on this they may have a jaw dropper to show at NAB.  But the problem is that because they've started from so far back all the others out there who have nailed that aspect of post are going on to the next big thing while Avid appear to be still playing catchup.

It's very worrying when you're trying to make future post purchase decisions.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 1 2014 5:13 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,550
    • Points 65,100

erik1185:

Resolution Independence is coming...

http://community.avid.com/forums/t/126607.aspx

That doesn't sound like true resolution indipendence, it's more like FrameFlex 2.0, too little, too late IMO. If I am wrong, then I'd like to know when will Avid deliver, "Future versions of Media Composer will be resolution independent, supporting more than just large rasters like 4K" doesn't mean anything to me, it could be ten years from today, at the pace Avid innovates... and I need to be able to work on custom frame sizes, not only to manage bigger than HD footage inside the HD frame. Let's see what they show at NAB, but I'm not expecting for groundbreaking news, the focus has been on the ACA bla-bla-bla rather than on research and development. Like jwrl said rewriting the core of the system it's not a simple task, and if the company wastes time and resources on a questionable marketing initiative they obviously have no time and resorces to improve the product. We do not have resolution indipendence, or at least a fully working FrameFlex, but the ACA aristocrats will have a party with a seasoned pop star, soon after they'll waste some more time, on top of the large amount of time already wasted, to restate once more what we all already know: we need resolution indipendence, and a lot more; the company need to deliver all that stuff, it's a matter of publish or perish.

Symphony 2018.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

Page 3 of 3 (36 items) < Previous 1 2 3

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller