Latest post Wed, Apr 28 2010 12:40 AM by dermot. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Apr 23 2010 7:26 PM

• pianoman72
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 9 2006
    • Dallas, TX
    • Posts 518
    • Points 5,945

Working from .r3d files question

Ok here's my question:

One of our clients want to work directly from .r3d files in FCP.  They want 2k .r3d files to cut down on processing time. Does that mean we have to shoot at 2k?

I thought surely there was a way to downconvert from 4k to 2k and keep the .r3d format but is there not? 

What is a good solution?  Our director does not want to shoot in 2k.  I'm happy to transcode but how do I keep the raw data?

Right now I am trying a QT export in Redcine-x using the REDCODE codec at half resolution - full quality.  Any reason why that won't work?

Media Composer 8.3.1, OSX 10.9.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Apr 23 2010 10:42 PM In reply to

• pianoman72
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Dallas, TX
    • Posts 518
    • Points 5,945

Re: Working from .r3d files question

Yeah so that doesn't work - it just regenerates a quicktime proxy that appears as a gray screen. Helpful.

Why would a post house ask anyone to shoot at 2k...This is crazy.

• Sat, Apr 24 2010 1:33 PM In reply to

• dermot
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Vancouver, Canada
    • Posts 524
    • Points 6,220

pianoman72:
    One of our clients want to work directly from .r3d files in FCP.

FCS does not work with the native r3d files, but it can work with the Qt proxies the camera generates

pianoman72:
    I thought surely there was a way to downconvert from 4k to 2k and keep the .r3d format but is there not?

Any system capabile of running r3d native (other than Scratch) all have the same options, as they all use the same SDK from RED, and yes, scaling from 4K to 2K is included in the options...

pianoman72:
    Our director does not want to shoot in 2k

In my opnion it's NOT a good idea to shoot 2K on that camera unless you need the highspeed, listen to the director..

pianoman72:
    I'm happy to transcode but how do I keep the raw data?

You don't if you transcode obviously, but if you keep the metadata intact then you can re-link to the r3d files when finishing

pianoman72:
    Right now I am trying a QT export in Redcine-x using the REDCODE codec at half resolution - full quality.  Any reason why that won't work?

Should work just fine for off-line, and look great while doing so. Not what I would want to see for finishing tho, what i would want is either a ducked XML to AFE, or a MC generated AFE & the r3d files for finishing in my DS.

I have done a fair amount of finishing RED shows by now in DS, some of the Q's are a cause of concern, mainly the first one;

pianoman72:
    One of our clients want to work directly from .r3d files in FCP

As that is clearly wrong, and planing a workflow that can't work is a bit of a problem eh?

d/

8600 - 3700 - AJA 2Ke - u320 array - Dream Color [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: ,
  • Mon, Apr 26 2010 10:35 PM In reply to

• pianoman72
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Dallas, TX
    • Posts 518
    • Points 5,945

Hey dermot and everyone,

Here's the latest:

Shoot at 4k

Deliver raw .r3d files and transcoded quicktimes (uncompressed).

My only choice for uncompressed is 10-bit 4:2:2...does this sound okay to anyone who cuts on FCP?  I expected that they would ask for Prores HQ or 4444 so I made mention of those options which were not received well.

• Tue, Apr 27 2010 4:47 PM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,994
    • Points 37,755

If you can wait for V5, you can edit RED natively in MC.

Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Terence Curren Alpha Dogs, Inc.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.digitalservicestation.com

www.editorslounge.com

• Tue, Apr 27 2010 5:20 PM In reply to

• pianoman72
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Dallas, TX
    • Posts 518
    • Points 5,945

Thanks, but I'm not cutting this one.  I'm more of the RED data manager/post consultant.  I have to transcode tonight so I just want to make sure going to uncompressed 10-bit quicktimes at 2k 29.97 isn't a huge mistake.  This will be cut on FCP and finished in Flame.  I know if I was cutting it I would ask for ProRes.  There will be a lot of keys, so maybe they are afraid that ProRes is too "compressed."

Of course the quicktime proxies and .r3d files will be provided in addition to any transcodes.

• Tue, Apr 27 2010 9:39 PM In reply to

• dermot
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Vancouver, Canada
    • Posts 524
    • Points 6,220

it's been more than decade since i last touched a Flame, i would ask the Artist if i could.. i would ask for the raw files myself, but last time i loked autoscreet could not use r3d files, and needed them transcoded to DPX first.. this may have changed, or may change soon...

good luck

d/

8600 - 3700 - AJA 2Ke - u320 array - Dream Color [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 27 2010 9:59 PM In reply to

• pianoman72
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Dallas, TX
    • Posts 518
    • Points 5,945

According to Autodesk's white papers it can process .r3d files.  For Final Cut they suggest transcoding to the DVCPROHD Codec, then exporting an XML from FCP for conform, which is handled by "wiretap central."

• Wed, Apr 28 2010 12:40 AM In reply to

• dermot
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Vancouver, Canada
    • Posts 524
    • Points 6,220

pianoman72:

According to Autodesk's white papers it can process .r3d files.  For Final Cut they suggest transcoding to the DVCPROHD Codec, then exporting an XML from FCP for conform, which is handled by "wiretap central."

i belive "wiretap" is really a mac creating DPX in the BG for flame, but if it works, then giveing them the r3d files and an XML would be the way to go, at least then the flame artist can make or change the choices in the SDK as needed... 

At least that's what would i try to do first

d/

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller