Latest post Sun, Apr 25 2010 8:22 PM by Tommyp. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Apr 23 2010 7:43 AM

offline and online with xdcam footage in DS Nitris v10

As a Ds Nitris editor i am used to offline and online my self on Ds.  With the Red and XDcameras we bought this process has become a lot more complex and time consuming. The Red workflow  we solved by cutting my offline on FCP and converting our files with Discreets WiretapCentral to whatever format i want to work in (painfull editing but it works).

Because i am used to having all my footage (in low quality) available to me for last minute changes the process becomes a bit of a hassle having to jump backwards and forward to get some extra shots because a client did not like a shot etc. The xdcam made this work flow not easier.  

I tried the convertions with MC but it did not allow me to send and convert AAF/MXF files straigh from my linked AMA volume with the Send to comand, to convert all the files. I got around by transcoding the footage through the transcode/consolidate option, the converted files linked fine in DS except for audio....have not figured this one out! Although i do not need the audio for this specific project  i am curious to know what i am doing wrong that the audio is not linking.

My biggest problem is that i am sitting with 8 hours of XDcam footage which i would like to use in DS in low quality to be onlined when finishing. I have no clue how to go about this. I do not mind converting all the footage overnight but it does not look like i can go any lower than DNxHD 120 and the files are only marginaly smaller than 185. But thinking i was clever in finding the solution in going the 120 route and later reconverting the files i used to 185 and Ds reading the new files i discovered that MC changed the last letter of each file. Editing in MC is out of the question as i have no experience in editing on MC and most other footage is dumped in Ds 20:1 and there is no time to get all this footage over to MC (besides the crash course MC editing i have to go through).

How have other editors solved this problem or at least made it a less painfull process. 

Thanks Buzz

• Fri, Apr 23 2010 12:15 PM In reply to

• tonyjover
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Birmingham UK
    • Posts 389
    • Points 4,585
    • Moderator: Avid DS

Re: offline and online with xdcam footage in DS Nitris v10

Hi,

For the Red stuff, that's native to DS so you can follow any 'normal' offline workflow and capture 20:1 SD (or a low-res DNxHD) for the offline and then recapture at whatever res in an HD sequence when you're done.

The XDCam media is more problematic due to DS's ongoing inability to handle long-gop material.  This is a huge problem for many of us.

Your solution above of re-transcoding to DNxHD 185 once you're done sounds to me a workable one, but will require a couple of manual steps.  Firstly, delete the original DNxHD 120 media, and then do the 185 transcode.  If MC still changes the last character of all the files, I'm thinking that File Renamer could be used to correct this.  I'm guessing that the only reason it changed it the first time was to differentiate it from the original transcodes (but it is only a guess because I know about as much about MC as you do), so Renamer may not be required.

Good luck - let us know how it works out.

Tony

• Fri, Apr 23 2010 3:02 PM In reply to

• Tommyp
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jan 25 2006
    • Ann Arbor, MI
    • Posts 74
    • Points 880

Actually, you don't need to change the file name. With the MXF transcoded material, the metadata is more important. You can go back and transcode to 185 and drop that into your MXF storage and DS will use that, as long as your seq settings tell it to.

We've used this method for sending footage to Color and getting final CC'd MXF files back, drop them in the folder and DS will read them as if they are the original. Kinda fun to sit and watch the color just jump in your shots as you are copying it over and it gets indexed.

Without being able to send a usable edl or AAF to MC to know exactly what shots you needs, you might be best to just transcode it all to the higher res and bring it over. 

We were dealing with hours and hours of XDCAM this past year, cutting all on DS, and we made the choice to transcode to a high enough quality so that we didn't have to go back. Might not work for all though.

Tom

Filed under: ,
  • Fri, Apr 23 2010 3:27 PM In reply to

• tonyjover
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Birmingham UK
    • Posts 389
    • Points 4,585

Tommyp:
    We were dealing with hours and hours of XDCAM this past year, cutting all on DS, and we made the choice to transcode to a high enough quality so that we didn't have to go back.

That struck me as the most elegant workflow but I guess that storage could be a problem for some.

Tony

• Sun, Apr 25 2010 4:59 PM In reply to

Although i think the workflow with xdcam into nitris need some good improvement, i decided to convert all the footage with MC to AAF / MXF files and in all fairness MC did this in a reasonable amount of time.

What still bugs me is that my audio does not link to the converted files, am i doing something wrong here?

Thanks for all the imput.

Buzz

• Sun, Apr 25 2010 7:13 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,375
    • Points 40,765

The first question about audio linking - did you originally capture / convert the audio to MXF (PCM) format or the older OMF when in the MC?

DS can not use the OMF files in the workflow you are useing.  Must be MXF.

If this is not the case, then I would say hope that Sylvain hopes on with some info.  I have seen other folks complain of similiar issues.  I have not had this issue yet.  I have had other issues with MXF video linking but I feel they may be software version related.

Good luck,

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.10.0 but playing w 2018.11| OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Sun, Apr 25 2010 8:22 PM In reply to

• Tommyp
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jan 25 2006
    • Ann Arbor, MI
    • Posts 74
    • Points 880

Jef is right on with the audio answer. If you go back to MC and transcode thew audio as well to MXF (PCM) and then relink the clips to the audio and video in MC, then make a new AAF/AFE and open that in DS you should be all set. There is a chance that you can just transcode and DS will see the new audio once it's in an indexed storage.

HTH,

Tom

Filed under: , ,
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller