Latest post Wed, Jun 16 2010 6:35 PM by OliverPeters. 25 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Apr 12 2010 1:27 PM In reply to

• Butcher
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 17 2006
    • Jacksonville, FL
    • Posts 1,426
    • Points 18,310

Re: Arri Alexa - where is Avid in this?

MC5 looks amazing.  Big kudos to everyone at Avid who helped make it possible.  Pretty clever to incorporate support for the competitor's codecs - let them hash out deals and work with implementing their codecs with different cameras, then support the media it produces!  Especially if ProRes Quicktime playback via AMA is smooth, reliable, and capable of multiple layers of realtime.

Well done, and the mystery of supporting the Alexa camera has been solved!

• Thu, Apr 15 2010 1:09 PM In reply to

• switthaus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Cobbs Creek, VA
    • Posts 2,097
    • Points 28,335

but, like with r3d files, if you use AMA to cut around on some ArriRaw, can you export an EDL or AFE that can get back to the raw files for finishing? 

Scott Witthaus

Owner/Editor/Post Production Supervisor 1708 Editorial

http://vimeopro.com/1708editorial/1708-editorial

• Sat, Apr 17 2010 3:44 PM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,893
    • Points 36,640

switthaus:
    if you use AMA to cut around on some ArriRaw, can you export an EDL

I haven't been able to produce an EDL with imported files, have you?

Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Terence Curren Alpha Dogs, Inc.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.digitalservicestation.com

www.editorslounge.com

• Sat, Apr 17 2010 5:14 PM In reply to

TCurren:

I haven't been able to produce an EDL with imported files, have you?

But from what I heard, that is one of those things that are addressed in MC5. Modify imported clips, assign tapenames and additional metadata, and use any metadata from any column as a source in the EDL.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | Decklink Studio |... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jun 13 2010 5:58 PM In reply to

Job ter Burg:
    Modify imported clips, assign tapenames and additional metadata, and use any metadata from any column as a source in the EDL.

Sitting in front of MC5, I don´t seem to be able to do just that? Any hints?

Symphony 6.0.3 | i7 2.8 GHz | Asus P66X58-DE | 18GB Ram | Quadro FX 4500 | Nvidia driver 296.35 | SB X-Fi Music WIN7 64bit Pro | classicshell [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 15 2010 4:13 PM In reply to

• OliverPeters
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Orlando, FL
    • Posts 494
    • Points 6,645

There's still a problem with QT files. AMA as well as regular imports don't seem to pick up reel names/numbers, even when present.

- Oliver

• Tue, Jun 15 2010 4:15 PM In reply to

• OliverPeters
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Orlando, FL
    • Posts 494
    • Points 6,645

PS: You can use Modify to add/alter tape names in AMA files. Doing so only makes this change in the AMA bin and doesn't alter the media file itself, from what I can tell.

- Oliver

• Tue, Jun 15 2010 4:31 PM In reply to

Can you not use something like QTChange to alter the source metadata (TC and source reel) and then manually Clip>Modify in the bin to match? It's a bit of a pain but surely that would allow a finish in a different system (via EDL or similar) even after a transcode to DNx or any .mxf-based media?

It would be better if AMA could read QT source reel info, of course...

1xMacPro dual quad 3.0Ghz 10GB RAM with Symphony6 + Mojo DX; 1xMacPro dual quad 3.0Ghz 8GB RAM with MC6+ Kona LHi; 1xMacPro dual quad Westmere 2.4GHz with... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 15 2010 8:17 PM In reply to

• OliverPeters
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Orlando, FL
    • Posts 494
    • Points 6,645

Post Republic:
    Can you not use something like QTChange to alter the source metadata (TC and source reel) and then manually Clip>Modify in the bin to match?

I have done that and it worked, however, I didn't subsequently export an EDL. I did this with ProResLT files that were converted first from Canon H.264 prior to AMA. I had originally used QtChange on these files, but AMA only saw the TC and not the reel number. I was able to modify the reel number in the bin, but I received a DF/NDF error message for the exact same reel name, so I used a modified name.

I also tried a test to bring in an FCP sequence and then relink to the source MOVs via AMA. I used an EDL to get the FCP sequence into MC5. I finally got this to work by decomposing the sequence (from the EDL) and then modifying BOTH the AMA clips and the decomposed clips to a new and common reel name. This eventually allowed a relink, but I really wouldn't trust it as a reliable, predictable workflow.

Clearly it's a trial & error process at this point.

- Oliver

• Wed, Jun 16 2010 6:06 PM In reply to

Interesting. MC5 goes onto the first of our main suites tomorrow and we have a 5D job on the horizon, which we'd like to cut in MC, grade in Color and finish/master back in MC. I'll run some tests ASAP and report on all findings!

Clearly, MC needs to be able to read QT source reel data for an elegant workflow even to be possible on anything beyond the most simple edit.

1xMacPro dual quad 3.0Ghz 10GB RAM with Symphony6 + Mojo DX; 1xMacPro dual quad 3.0Ghz 8GB RAM with MC6+ Kona LHi; 1xMacPro dual quad Westmere 2.4GHz with... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 16 2010 6:35 PM In reply to

• OliverPeters
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Orlando, FL
    • Posts 494
    • Points 6,645

Post Republic:
    we have a 5D job on the horizon, which we'd like to cut in MC, grade in Color and finish/master back in MC

You might look at Offloader - a new app that Bouke just put out (VideoToolShed.com).

- Oliver

Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2

Avid Technology, Inc. brands:
M-Audio  |   Sibelius  |   Pinnacle Systems  |  

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller