Latest post Wed, Mar 10 2010 6:18 PM by Kenton.VanNatten. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Mar 9 2010 3:32 PM

• nysteve
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 23 2009
    • Posts 10
    • Points 160

Blur effect

I have a Sympony Nitris Clasic, ver 3.5.9.  The bur effect does not work, nor the bur in the paint effect.  I do not get the sliders to adjust the blur.

I unistalled the software and reinstalled and same problem.  Does anyone have an idea why this would be the case?  I am on a 9300 with the clasic hardware.

Thanks,

Steve Hoppe

MOTIVENYC.com

• Tue, Mar 9 2010 3:39 PM In reply to

Re: Blur effect

When you draw the shape that you want to be blurred, you have to select it in the Composer window to get the sliders to appear.

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Tue, Mar 9 2010 3:49 PM In reply to

• nysteve
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 10
    • Points 160

I have tried that.  If I draw a shape that is solid, I do not even get the feathering sliders. 

What is more an issue is the traditional Blur Effect does not have any sliders for feathering or the blur.   I do have a slider for the acceleration.  Kind of strange, but all the other effects seem to work.

-steve

• Tue, Mar 9 2010 4:07 PM In reply to

• DMcL
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jan 3 2006
    • Posts 252
    • Points 3,235

Is it the blur using Boris BCC effects or Paint?  I notice when you load the software for Symphony it gives you BCC effects and BCC4 effects.  The Boris BCC effects don't seem to work correctly but the BCC4 do.  BCC4 lets you change value for key frames and BCC doesn't.  Cheers.  

• Tue, Mar 9 2010 4:11 PM In reply to

• nysteve
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 10
    • Points 160

I am not using BCC or BCC4.

I am using the standard avid blur effect  (same place as the pan & zoom).

• Wed, Mar 10 2010 4:28 PM In reply to

• mmullen
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 13 2008
    • Haverhill, MA
    • Posts 553
    • Points 6,355

DMcL:

Is it the blur using Boris BCC effects or Paint?  I notice when you load the software for Symphony it gives you BCC effects and BCC4 effects.  The Boris BCC effects don't seem to work correctly but the BCC4 do.  BCC4 lets you change value for key frames and BCC doesn't.  Cheers.  

This isn't entirely correct information.  Because of some nuances with the way AVX 2 keyframing is set up some BCC effects give you the initial appearance that keyframing does not work.

I don't want to completely hi-jack this thread, seeing as the end user isn't even using BCC, but if you want more info on this shoot me a PM and I can explain it further.

-Matt M.

• Wed, Mar 10 2010 4:30 PM In reply to

• mmullen
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 13 2008
    • Haverhill, MA
    • Posts 553
    • Points 6,355

nysteve:

I am not using BCC or BCC4.

I am using the standard avid blur effect  (same place as the pan & zoom).

Steve,

Maybe a full screen shot of your Avid displaying the issue will help us diagnose what might be happening.

-Matt M.

• Wed, Mar 10 2010 4:33 PM In reply to

Steve,

Sometimes when parking on a blur effect that's already in the timeline, you need to click on the record monitor screen in order to get the sliders to appear in the effects editor tool.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Mar 10 2010 4:56 PM In reply to

• nysteve
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 10
    • Points 160

This is a screen shot of the effects editor.   As you can see there are no sliders for the feather & blur function.  I did have the record monitor selected as some else has sugested.

• Wed, Mar 10 2010 5:03 PM In reply to

nysteve:
    I did have the record monitor selected as some else has sugested.

Simply having the Record monitor "selected" won't do anything.  You need to select the shape of the object that you've drawn INSIDE the Record Monitor.

For example, if I want to blur out a guy's head, I draw a circle around his head.  If I click off of the circle so it becomes "inactive" then the sliders will disappear.  Select the circle shape, it will become active again and the sliders will appear.

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

• Wed, Mar 10 2010 5:15 PM In reply to

• DMcL
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jan 3 2006
    • Posts 252
    • Points 3,235

Yes, I did get that wrong.  I forgot that adding keyframes is different than the Avid add keyframes.  Also, you have to add to all parameters to make it work.  I had figgered this out about 2 months ago with another editor.  my bad.    

• Wed, Mar 10 2010 5:56 PM In reply to

• nysteve
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 10
    • Points 160

Kenton,

I see.

If you want to blur the whole image do you need to draw a shape around the whole raster. 

I do not recall ever having to do this.  When I get a sequence from an offline, usually an adrenailine, and the Blur effect is used as a transition that too does not work.    Is this something new that I may have missed?

-steve

• Wed, Mar 10 2010 6:13 PM In reply to

nysteve:
    If you want to blur the whole image do you need to draw a shape around the whole raster.

Yes you do. The easiest way to do it is to choose the rectangle shape, reduce the size of the effects window to 75% (CTRL + K) and draw a rectangle upper left corner to lower right corner. CTRL + L will restore the effects window to it's normal size when you're done.

The standard Avid blur effect is a segment effect, not a transitional effect. You can create a blur dissolve by keyframing the blur at the end of clip 1 and the beginning of clip 2 for a length equal to the transition rate you want for the dissolve, then apply a dissolve at the transition point. So, for a 15 frame transition, clip one would blur out for 15 frames, clip two would blur in for 15 frames (between keyframes), with a 15 frame centered on the cut transition applied.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Mar 10 2010 6:18 PM In reply to

nysteve:

Yes, and to make sure I've got it all the way the edges, I'll zoom out of the image a bit so that in Effects mode I see all the way around the image.  As far as I remember, (or at least as long as I've been using Paint/Blur effects) it's always been that way.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller