Latest post Mon, Dec 11 2017 3:03 PM by Vidosick. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Feb 19 2010 2:18 PM

A Tutorial for Pan and Zooming Stills with Boris Red

Hey guys, I just posted a Video tutorial on how to do Pan and Zoom type moves on Hi-resolution stills using Boris Red and the Avid on my blog. If you want to check it out, that would be great!

http://www.bit.ly/cXXG4b

Follow me at www.twitter.com/redarrowryan Avid 1- z400 6-Core, with Nitris DX Symphony 6.0.3 Win 7 64 Bit [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Feb 23 2010 1:52 AM In reply to

Re: A Tutorial for Pan and Zooming Stills with Boris Red

Nice Ryan, and great timing considering the Avid P&Z issues people are having at the minute.

I know you touch upon Keyframes in an earlier tutorial, but I might have mentioned the Interpolation settings needed, as in my experience this is what messes people up the most when first getting their heads around Boris - the default something weird if I remember correctly.  And maybe the 'deflicker' setting in the render options.

Nit-picking here, and I love the other examples you showed.  I'd would to see how you created the very AE splitting of Foreground and Background with the move (especially if you managed to avoid using PS in the equation); and the Angled Text with soft blurs and highlights.  Hopefully both of these will be future Tutorials!

Great work.

Ra-ey

Symphony Nitris v7, Media Composer v7, Artist Color, ISIS v4.1, Unity MediaNetwork v5.4, Sapphire v6.1, Boris Continuum Complete v8.1.1, AvidFX... [view my complete system specs]

Media Composer 6 Certified User

Media Composer 6 Certified Professional

ra-eysaleh.com

LinkedIn

Showreel

• Tue, Feb 23 2010 2:30 PM In reply to

Thanks so much for the kind words. I just posted a new blog showing how to use the Ease In/Out Keyframes. You can check it out here...

http://bit.ly/aUmLzL

And for sure setting the 1:2:1 deflicker setting on is very important. It's hard to go over everything in a short video tutorial like that. I could talk for days about Boris Red, but I'm trying to keep it simple at first to perhaps encourage people to start using this powerful plug in.

I've gotten requests from other folk too asking for instructions on the "AE splitting foreground and Background" effect. I've started work on it already, but just so you know, it does involve Photoshop.  But depending on the photo, it could be done completely in Boris Red.

Follow me at www.twitter.com/redarrowryan Avid 1- z400 6-Core, with Nitris DX Symphony 6.0.3 Win 7 64 Bit [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Feb 23 2010 8:51 PM In reply to

Ok, now that was hands down the best explanation of Boris Keyframing (and it's 'weirdness') I've ever seen - and I'm including the good (if dry) tutorials by Steve Oakley.  You'll be giving Douglas a run for his money...

Kudos Ryan.

And I know what you mean about only concentrating on only certain aspects in a tutorial - you can't talk about everything.  I actually mentioned it more for those people who ran into issues with keyrames/flicker, so that they'd know it's not them and that's there's something they can do.

As for the AE-esque tutorial, well a lot of people have Photoshop (or Gimp or something on they're machines), so that's not a problem - and they have the best 'selection' tools out there.  It's always cleaner to try and stay in the one app, but as we all know, that's often just not possible.

Looking forward to it Ryan!

Ra-ey

ps. Let me know if you want anymore 'suggestions' for Boris Tuts!

Symphony Nitris v7, Media Composer v7, Artist Color, ISIS v4.1, Unity MediaNetwork v5.4, Sapphire v6.1, Boris Continuum Complete v8.1.1, AvidFX... [view my complete system specs]

Media Composer 6 Certified User

Media Composer 6 Certified Professional

ra-eysaleh.com

LinkedIn

Showreel

• Tue, Feb 23 2010 9:44 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,185
    • Points 205,170
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Ra-ey Saleh:
    You'll be giving Douglas a run for his money...

And that is something I welcome.

I am not very skilled in using AvidFX (Boris Red) so Ryan's excellent Tutorials on using it are like a breathe of Spring!

I have posted some tips to Ryan to help him upload to the Tips & Tutorials Area.

http://community.avid.com/forums/p/80605/450226.aspx#450226

Looking forward to the next one!

Regards,
    Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Wed, Feb 24 2010 2:09 PM In reply to

Thanks guys!  I've almost completed my next tutorial, although it may be a day or two before I post it. I've had a slow week so I've been able to crank a few of these out lately. But actual paying work starts coming in again for me next week, so it may be a week or two before i get another tutorial done.

Seriously, if you have any questions or suggestions, I'd be glad to hear them.

I imagine the majority of my tutorials will end up being about Boris Red. I love that plugin and use it for so many different things. It surprises me that very few other people use it, considering it basically provided for free with Avid. I honestly believe it's the best plugin out there for doing Pan and Zoom on Hi resolution stills. The abilty to keep it all in the avid and not have export QT's and then re-import QT's from AE is a huge time saver. I just wish more people knew about it. Hopefully, that's something I can change.

If you want to follow me on twitter, you'll be the first know when I update my blog with new tutorials.  You can find me at http://www.twitter.com/redarrowryan

• Wed, Feb 24 2010 2:14 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,185
    • Points 205,170
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

A tip for your next tutorial...make sure you select the checkbox for "Avid FX" on the Relevant Products list when creating the tutorial on Video Community. That way customers following Avid FX tuts will be sure to see yours.

Adam

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Wed, Feb 24 2010 2:23 PM In reply to

Thanks, I'm fairly new to this and all this help is greatly appreciated!

• Mon, Dec 11 2017 3:03 PM In reply to

• Vidosick
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 9 2009
    • Posts 38
    • Points 335

Hello,

Links to tutorials do not work. Can anybody update? Sometimes it is quite difficult to achieve a smooth movement through photos. In key points, a motion rebound occurs, despite any selected types of interpolation. At the same time, the movements themselves often have a curved trajectory. How to achieve a smooth pan and zoom inside Boris RED(AvidFX)? Thanks in advance!
    HP Z800 workstation, Win7x64bit, Avid MC on Nitris DX, NVIVIA Quadro FX 3800, RAM 24 GB [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller