Latest post Wed, Jan 27 2010 1:16 AM by soxfan692. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jan 26 2010 3:34 PM

• soxfan692
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jan 30 2009
    • North Carolina
    • Posts 21
    • Points 295

ALEX and Certifications

Hey everyone,

So I've done some browsing around and didn't find the answer I was looking for, so I figured why not come to the place where all the knowledge is passed out anyway. I've been thinking about Avid certification for a while now. I'm sure it can only help me in my career, but my main question is if I purchase the Media Composer course from the webstore, does that give me access to purchase an exam and potentially become certified? The certification page lists training centers, but I didn't see an online option for that. Online would work much better for me.

So.. if anyone has any links or can point me to the place my eyes aren't seeing (thanks to not enough coffee) or has any hands on experience, I would be grateful! Thanks a ton!

Media Composer 3.0, Quadro FX570, 4GBDualChannel Ram, XP Pro SP2, [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 26 2010 8:40 PM In reply to

• rogershuff
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Bournemouth UK
    • Posts 128
    • Points 1,440

Re: ALEX and Certifications

I think that certification is being worked on by the training people but probably only as a result taking an Avid numbered course at a centre (101, 201 etc). Not sure about Alex.

Mac: 2.33Ghz Macbook Pro, OS 10.5.6, 3GB RAM, Media Composer 4.0.5, analogue Mojo, 320GB internal HD, Sony DSR-45P deck, etc etc [view my complete system specs]

Roger Shufflebottom Bottom Line TV +44 7973 543660

• Tue, Jan 26 2010 9:42 PM In reply to

• jakeheat
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Sep 3 2006
    • London
    • Posts 491
    • Points 5,905

This is a tricky question. In my experience, I found the one Avid course I did (Advanced Effects... nearly 10 years ago) a waste of (my employers) time and money.  There was little or nothing that couldn't be learned from reading the manual and playing about with the system for a while.  And now that Avid allows a free trial, this is something most can do from the comfort of their home.  Also there are hundreds of online tutorials and videos to be had (just click on the 'Videos' link at the top of this page.  The course will determine nothing about your ability as an editor.  I've worked with a guy who did about three of the course, but he can still barely turn a machine on - and I guarantee that most of the best editors in the industry have never been near one.  Although I did meet a production manager once who found it impressive (and that's quite useful I guess).

Probably your best bet to get into the business is to get a job far down the chain and make your way up - or put together a portfolio/showreel of you work and try and impress the right people.

good luck.

Media Composer 2018.9 MacPro 6 core - 32 GB RAM - OS:10.13.6 3.33Ghz iMacs, Macbook Pros. BM, AJA, Matrox After Effects, etc [view my complete system specs]

@jaketheeditor 

• Wed, Jan 27 2010 1:16 AM In reply to

• soxfan692
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jan 30 2009
    • North Carolina
    • Posts 21
    • Points 295

Thanks for the info. I'm actually an editor at a small house right now. The only reason I kept thinking about it, was because just recently, a HR rep for a larger house said that I had the goods, but I wasn't certified and therefore lost out on the job. Now they could just be pullin' my leg, but I have seen some job listings that specifically call for certified editors. Are these just few and far between?

I really need to bang out a portfolio/reel and get it out there. I have one now, but I haven't spent nearly enough time on it shown what I can really do, I just have so much on my plate at work that when I get home I don't even want to look at a computer, much less edit for hours. I love editing, but the house I'm in now has gone downhill quite a bit and it's just sucking the life out of me.

Again, thanks for the info, and I will get that reel out! Sorry for the bit of a rant there.

Media Composer 3.0, Quadro FX570, 4GBDualChannel Ram, XP Pro SP2, [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller