Latest post Sat, Jan 23 2010 4:34 AM by Jayanta. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jan 21 2010 8:50 PM

It Would Be Nice!

It would be nice if Avid supported mpeg and AVCHD importing. I say this because many cameras record in these formats. As a result, people tend to shy away from Avid and turn to FCP, Premiere, and others.

We are well vested in Avid products here and are looking for cameras the Avid will play nice with without having to use this encoder or that encoder to get into a Quicktime. I mean, if other software makers can do it, why can't Avid?

Just a thought!

Thanks

Steve

Avid MC 5.5.1 - Operating SystemMS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit - CPUIntel Core 2 Quad Q8400  @ 2.66GHz 55 °CYorkfield 45nm Technology - RAM8.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24) - MotherboardIntel Corporation DP45SG (CPU 1) - GraphicsSyncMaster @ 1280x800NVIDIA Quadro FX 580 (version 266.35) - DeviceAudioCreative Audigy Audio Processor (WDM) - Operating System MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit - CPUIntel Core 2 Quad - Socket 775 LGATechnology 45nmSpecification Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8400 @ 2.66GHzFamily 6Extended Family 6 and Quicktime 7.6.9

• Thu, Jan 21 2010 8:54 PM In reply to

• CreativeControl
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Dec 10 2007
    • Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    • Posts 410
    • Points 5,190

Re: It Would Be Nice!

I've asked many times as well (for MPEG) but you should also post it in the feature request section.  Maybe if enough people request it....

2 MC4.0.5 systems, both self built Intel Quad Core PC's. Asus P5n32-e motherboards. One with NV GTX 470 - 275.33 drivers and one with NV 7800GT card... [view my complete system specs]

Editor/Shooter/Animator - www.creativecontrol.ca

WWII Aviation Artist - www.actionart.ca

• Thu, Jan 21 2010 9:23 PM In reply to

It is up to camera manufacturers to develop AMA plug-ins for their formats.  Once that happens, then the future is wide open with regard to whatever particular format is fashionable at the time.

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Thu, Jan 21 2010 9:48 PM In reply to

• gumbycat99
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 6 2008
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 574
    • Points 6,850

Kenton.VanNatten:
    It is up to camera manufacturers to develop AMA plug-ins for their formats.  Once that happens, then the future is wide open with regard to whatever particular format is fashionable at the time.

That's true but if FCP and Premiere add support for those formats themselves (and I suspect it's easier for them to do that, because of how they deal with media), then you're asking the camera manufacturers to do extra work just for compatibility with Avid.

That might be fine for professional formats where Avid will be a pretty common system used for editing, but for consumer/prosumer formats where Avid may only make up a small share of the editing systems used there will be less incentive for camera manufacturers to do the extra work.

That said, AMA is still in early days and once it becomes more established with more formats then perhaps developing plugins for it will become a standard part camera format developing.

cheers

Campbell

8.5 on a mongrel PC, Win 7, QT7.5, Nvidia GTX 970, 16Gb RAM, SSD, NAS for raw media and a Macbook Pro [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jan 21 2010 9:49 PM In reply to

• CreativeControl
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Dec 10 2007
    • Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    • Posts 410
    • Points 5,190

Could we at least get MPEG as an AMA format.  I'd be happy with just being able to import it.  That's not up to a camera manufacturer.

2 MC4.0.5 systems, both self built Intel Quad Core PC's. Asus P5n32-e motherboards. One with NV GTX 470 - 275.33 drivers and one with NV 7800GT card... [view my complete system specs]

Editor/Shooter/Animator - www.creativecontrol.ca

WWII Aviation Artist - www.actionart.ca

• Thu, Jan 21 2010 10:22 PM In reply to

CreativeControl:
    Could we at least get MPEG as an AMA format.  I'd be happy with just being able to import it.  That's not up to a camera manufacturer.

I have to agree. Any camera company approached with this will certainly want to know "What's in it for me?" So, hypothetically, would could Avid offer?

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Thu, Jan 21 2010 10:32 PM In reply to

And now, Sony announces NXCAM .... yet another flavor for Avid to add to their list.

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/micro-nxcamsite/

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Fri, Jan 22 2010 1:53 PM In reply to

(That might be fine for professional formats where Avid will be a pretty common system used for editing, but for consumer/prosumer formats where Avid may only make up a small share of the editing systems used there will be less incentive for camera manufacturers to do the extra work.)

This is what bothers me. Avid is not the commone system anymore in the professional or broadcast world. If you check out the latest Broadcast Engineering where they highlight several newly rennovated major broadcast stations, the majority of NLE systems is FCP. Additionally, the broadcast industry is hurting just like everyone else. Reporters have to carry around their own (lightweight) gear, edit their own packages, etc. As a result, many of the cameras they're using are the lower end cameras with great quality recording in mpeg and AVCHD formats.

As far as camera manufacturers making codecs or whatever, how about Avid reaching across the isle to these manufacturers and striking up relationships? The whole "we'll make it and they'll buy it" mentality has got to be tossed aside now. FCP and Premiere are major players and are taking customers right and left from Avid and I don't want to see that happen.

Finally, Apple and Adobe obviously have several other products out there whether they be software or hardware that sustain their existance. Avid has one thing to concentrate on and thats NLE systems and they'd better be good at it. If not, they're going to suffer greatly in the future. Please realize that this comes from a passionate Avid supporter who want the company to succeed.

Thanks

Steve

Avid MC 5.5.1 - Operating SystemMS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit - CPUIntel Core 2 Quad Q8400  @ 2.66GHz 55 °CYorkfield 45nm Technology - RAM8.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24) - MotherboardIntel Corporation DP45SG (CPU 1) - GraphicsSyncMaster @ 1280x800NVIDIA Quadro FX 580 (version 266.35) - DeviceAudioCreative Audigy Audio Processor (WDM) - Operating System MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit - CPUIntel Core 2 Quad - Socket 775 LGATechnology 45nmSpecification Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8400 @ 2.66GHzFamily 6Extended Family 6 and Quicktime 7.6.9

• Fri, Jan 22 2010 2:21 PM In reply to

stevedross:
    how about Avid reaching across the isle to these manufacturers and striking up relationships?

Do you have concrete inside information that indicates that this is NOT already happening?  

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Fri, Jan 22 2010 3:20 PM In reply to

• Haze
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 764
    • Points 10,205

stevedross:
    Apple and Adobe obviously have several other products out there whether they be software or hardware that sustain their existance. Avid has one thing to concentrate on and thats NLE systems and they'd better be good at it. If not, they're going to suffer greatly in the future.

Apple of course sells hardware as well (CPUs, iPods, iPhones).  I wasn't aware that Adobe sold hardware.  In addition to NLE's Avid has a substantial product line including:  Audio workstations, audio consoles for live events, playout servers for broadcast, world class storage systems, broadcast character generators and more.

I don't understand what it is your saying.  Apple and Adobe have other revenue streams to sustain the company.  But Avid needs to focus only on NLE systems?  Or are you simply unaware of Avid's product line up?

Avid DS 11 | Z800, Symphony 6.5 | HP xw 8600, MC 6.5 | HP Z400, Unity Storage [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jan 22 2010 9:49 PM In reply to

Do I have concrete evidence this is not happening? No, I don't. I only see what I see and that is many, many third party plugins, etc for FCP and Premiere. Perhaps there needs to be more catering to Avid's less expensive NLE market of clients.

• Fri, Jan 22 2010 10:02 PM In reply to

You're right Haze, Adobe doesn't sell hardware, but they sure sell a lot of long standing, time proven pieces of software that are ingrained in practically every business throughout this country if not the world.

I knew this would happen. Someone speaks out against Avid (even if it is someone who has 12 Avid systems at their facility) and the attacks begin.

I am aware of the other products Avid sells.  As I said in an earlier statement "I don't want to see Avid fall behind." So now with this once again said, lets concentrate on reality. The bottom line is whether you want to believe it or not, Avid is losing ground in the non-linear world. Avid is a great product, but, it needs to become more of a swiss army knife. Better CG, better importing or encoding support for as example; mpeg, AVCHD etc. Encoding from DVDs, burning to DVDs, There are several other items. So don't attack me. Realize that I am a staunch Avid supporter who wants to see the product grow and be better than the next guy.

• Fri, Jan 22 2010 10:18 PM In reply to

And I'm a staunch supporter of Avid as well, but they have three big weaknesses to overcome and overcome QUICKLY or they will continue to lose ground:

1. A streamlined capture,import and export process that is format transparent and reliable. Editing in Avid is one of the greatest experiences in the world, but the frustrating roadblocks and obstacles to getting material in and out of Avid must be eliminated. All it currently does is drive prospective customers away.

2. A cheap solution to lack of realtime, high quality HD monitoring. Doesn't have to be Mojo or Nitris DX, just some other interface that is priced competitively. The lack of this also drives customers away.

3. Support of 3rd party hardware BOBs, or drop the prices of Mojo and Nitris DX to competitive levels.

So, for better or worse, onward into the future we go...

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sat, Jan 23 2010 4:34 AM In reply to

• Jayanta
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 6 2007
    • India
    • Posts 1,504
    • Points 16,255

Larry Rubin:
    I have to agree. Any camera company approached with this will certainly want to know "What's in it for me?" So, hypothetically, would could Avid offer?

Yes Agreed. It would be nice if I dont have to Capture my Video through Edius or Premier and in order to get it into MC .Yes

All Sorts of System as I am a freelance Editor [view my complete system specs]

"Out of mud the lovely Lotus Blooms, Out of Strife something higher vies "

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller