Latest post Wed, Feb 3 2010 1:13 AM by Larry Rubin. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jan 2 2010 7:08 PM

• abernardi
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 26
    • Points 350

Editorial question --VERY BASIC

We have a facility with a Unity and 4 Avid MC's.  I've been wanting to move out of town and set up an office at home.  Has there been any solution to editing from a remote location, using the media stored on the Unity at the office in real time?  I've been reading thru the info and forum on Interplay and I doubt it can really do this.  Anyone know a solution?  THANKS

Avid MC 5.0.4, Adrenalin, Mac OS 10.6.8, MacPro 1.1, 2 x 3 GHz Dual-Core, EuControl 2.7.1 (latest version for Snowleopard), Unity [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jan 2 2010 7:17 PM In reply to

Re: Editorial question --VERY BASIC

The problem is bandwidth.  Neither the media or screen refreshes will be fast enough.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Sat, Jan 2 2010 8:32 PM In reply to

Best solution you'll find is to get external hard drives and copy the media from the Unity to them.  Once the media lives in both places you only need to transfer Bins back and forth, which can be done via email even. 

If you need real-time client/producer interaction you can setup Skype or iChat and be able to manage.

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Sun, Jan 3 2010 6:26 AM In reply to

• abernardi
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 26
    • Points 350

I thought by now we'd be able to have something in place that could do this in real time using some kind of compressed media.  There's a new web site in beta now, I don't remember the name, that can stream all the latest video games in full resolution over the internet and let you play them in real time.  That isn't any different than what I want to do, is it?

Avid MC 5.0.4, Adrenalin, Mac OS 10.6.8, MacPro 1.1, 2 x 3 GHz Dual-Core, EuControl 2.7.1 (latest version for Snowleopard), Unity [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jan 3 2010 5:39 PM In reply to

• Tom Pearson
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 1 2007
    • Los Angeles CA / Minneapolis MN
    • Posts 2,161
    • Points 23,185

yes it is  as the video games   cashe bg and play with layers as in photoshop  my mc 4 on a mac book pro cant play real time hd in full quality mode and my buss speed is faster than the net

Mac Pro 3.5 gig 6 core 64 gig ram D700 radons with ssd os drive with a 20 tb raid, Artist Mix and Artist color Artist control [view my complete system specs]

Tom Pearson

Director/Writer Big Picture Films

Sound Designer/Sound Editor Hollywood Sounds

WWLD

• Sun, Jan 3 2010 5:49 PM In reply to

abernardi:
    I thought by now we'd be able to have something in place that could do this in real time

lol... just because it's 2010 doesn't mean we live in pods in the sky and drive flying cars.

But you may be looking for something like "max-t" (which is now Avid owned) - or MediaSilo

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Sun, Jan 3 2010 7:31 PM In reply to

• lawsonr
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jun 8 2006
    • CBS News
    • Posts 313
    • Points 3,655

Are we allowed to speculate about non-Avid companies?

Avid bought Max-T recently. How long before some other Company-that-starts-with-A acquires MediaSilo...?

To the original question, the answer is "No", although with Interplay 2.0, you can connect to and browse lo-rez media via a WAN VPN connection.

Avid NewsCutter v10.5.4, ISIS 7000 v4.6.1, Interplay 2.7, Interplay Central 1.8 [view my complete system specs]

--- Rob Lawson System Administrator, ACSR CBS News

• Sun, Jan 3 2010 11:34 PM In reply to

• abernardi
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 26
    • Points 350

Kenton.VanNatten:
    lol... just because it's 2010 doesn't mean we live in pods in the sky and drive flying cars.

But Arthur C. Clarke said we'd be going back to Jupiter by now!  And I'm still waiting for the transporter beam!  Anyway, thanks for the tip on Max-T.  I sent them a note, it looks like something that could work for me if they integrate it into the avid.  I'm only looking to cut lowrez and then it can be uprezed or relinked at the office.

• Wed, Feb 3 2010 1:05 AM In reply to

• jqwang3392
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Nov 6 2005
    • Posts 1
    • Points 5

Maybe you can split your mc`s into two groups the one located near your media stored and the other three is in your remote location

You can use the proxy edit from the remote lcation whit the three mc`s .here is a tip "do not render the effect."

And then you can use the danamic relink in your the other one mc.

• Wed, Feb 3 2010 1:13 AM In reply to

abernardi:
    I thought by now we'd be able to have something in place that could do this in real time using some kind of compressed media.

This might present a solution.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller