Latest post Tue, Jul 13 2010 7:36 PM by Dave Messinger. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Dec 23 2009 1:51 PM

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,283
    • Points 219,180
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Fit to Fill - Revisited

It is a question that crops up quite often in the Forums.

I have a previous Tutorial on the topic, but this one is slightly different.

Regards,
    Douglas

This tutorial can be viewed at "Full-screen" by clicking on the icon on the toolbar

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Wed, Dec 23 2009 2:19 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,627
    • Points 60,455

Re: Fit to Fill - Revisited

Nice tutorial, Douglas. While watching, I was reminded of Liquid's 4-point editing where your source clip would be stretched or compressed to fit the in/out of the timeline by automatically applying a linear timewarp. This is definitely a feature MC could benefit from IMHO.

Thanks

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 6 Black | MC 18.12.1 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2019 | Sapphire 2019 | Mocha Pro 2019 | Titler Pro 6 | Windows 10 Pro x64... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Sun, Jul 11 2010 8:17 PM In reply to

In MC5, do you still get the same motion effect screen as you show in this tutorial at about 3 minutes ?

I am not getting that and I am wondering if that changed ?

Dell m4600, i7-2820qm, nvidia Quadro 2000M, driver 8.17.12.6696, 16gRam, Win7Pro [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jul 11 2010 8:37 PM In reply to

To invoke that Motion Effect editor, you need to be applying the Motion Effect to the Source clip.  It also will not invoke if you are using Mixed frame rate and the Source clip is not of the same frame rate.  (Avid applies an automatic TimeWarp effect to clips that don't match your project rate)

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Sun, Jul 11 2010 9:50 PM In reply to

are you ever not working or not on the internet ? 

Thanks.  I am glad you are !

One (of many) questions I have is knowing the properties of the clip I either have in the source monitor or on the timeline.  I have been experimenting with consolidate,  transcode, and mixed downs using a short project - and although I have some questions I want to ask once I get them formulated,  what is the best way of knowing the properties of a clip on the timeline or in the source monitor.   In Liquid I would right click on the clip and choose properties.  I am not finding it that simple in MC.

Dell m4600, i7-2820qm, nvidia Quadro 2000M, driver 8.17.12.6696, 16gRam, Win7Pro [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jul 11 2010 10:17 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,283
    • Points 219,180
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Dave Messinger:

In MC5, do you still get the same motion effect screen as you show in this tutorial at about 3 minutes ?

I am not getting that and I am wondering if that changed ?

Dave,
    Thanks to the wonderful guys that developed (?) MC5 and changed many keyboard shortcuts etc. I and others are finding that the information in my tutorials may no longer apply to the application.

But, how could you doubt that I would not correct something as important as "Fit to Fill" ?  Geeked

Regards,
    Douglas

Here you are......

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

mobile 813-493-6800

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Sun, Jul 11 2010 10:33 PM In reply to

A couple of notes:

Fit to Fill button exists in v4.0.5 (it may have existed earlier, but I can't verify)

Also, when you load the Filler and get the A3 Stereo track, you could just de-activate it before Inserting it into your Seq.  Rather than Inserting it then having to Delete the A3 track on the Sequence. 

But, I believe Dave's question was whether or not the Dialogue Box he posted in a screenshot still exists in MC5 and I believe that it does (or it should) as long as you apply the Motion Effect to the Source clip.

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Sun, Jul 11 2010 10:41 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,283
    • Points 219,180
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Thanks for the additional "filler", Kenton.

It is easier to see these things, now that MC5 has been out for a while.
    The tutorial reflects my surprise as I encountered some of those things e.g. A3 Stereo Track, for the first time.

Regards,
    Douglas

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Sun, Jul 11 2010 11:00 PM In reply to

Thanks for the update - actually I saw it, but sometimes I am getting to the point I am not sure I know which direction I am going.

Kenton.VanNatten:

....I believe Dave's question was whether or not the Dialogue Box he posted in a screenshot still exists in MC5 and I believe that it does (or it should) as long as you apply the Motion Effect to the Source clip.

I did have the question about the dialog box - which I did not post - but here it is...  from the first tutorial -

Above is the one I can't seem to get to - but I think it is because I may have 1080i footage in a 720p timeline.  Still trying to figure that one out.  But let me know if this dialog box is still in 5.0 - I may be wasting time.

This is the one I get,,,

My other question is :  How do I get to the properties of a clip on the timeline or in the source monitor.  I have many clips that have been created from transcodes and mixdowns - and when I have a clip on the timeline, I sometimes just want to know what it's properties are.

• Mon, Jul 12 2010 8:42 AM In reply to

Dave,

Are you sure you didn't actually apply the effect? Look in the source monitor and look at the name of the clip. Does it end w/ "(##.## FPS)?"

The dialog box you are getting is for editing a motion effect that has already been created.

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Mon, Jul 12 2010 2:15 PM In reply to

Thanks. You are definitely right that I have applied the time warp effect  - I just  can't get the lighter colored blue "Motion Effect" dialog box I posted earlier which has the "fit to fill" check box - and I think it may relate to what Kenton said....

Kenton.VanNatten:

.......  It also will not invoke if you are using Mixed frame rate and the Source clip is not of the same frame rate.  (Avid applies an automatic TimeWarp effect to clips that don't match your project rate)

I think I got the automatic timewarp effect Kenton is talking about - and that's why I have been asking for how to check the properties of a specific clip on the timeline because in experimenting with transcodes and mixed downs, I have several clips of the same video - and  I just want to know the acutal properties of a specific clip I have on the timeline that I put in the source monitor which I apply the effect to.  In Liquid, I would right click on the clip and choose "properties" - in MC I am not seeing how to get to the actual clip's properties.

• Mon, Jul 12 2010 3:34 PM In reply to

• bwilhelm
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 19 2009
    • Avid (Burlington, MA)
    • Posts 158
    • Points 2,055
    • Avid Employee

It sounds like Dave has loaded an interlaced clip into the source monitor in a progressive project.
    A motion adapter is added in this case, just as if the clip was crossing frame rates.
    You can confirm this by switching the Timeline to view the source composition as opposed to record.
    If there is a green dot on the video track, there is likely a motion adapter on it.
    There is an existing limitation that you cannot create source-side motion effects
    for clips that already contain motion adapters.
    However, if you switch back to the original interlaced project, you can do it there.
    Alternatively, you can edit the source with motion adapter into your sequence,
    promote it to Timewarp, and change the Edit Graph from Speed to Position
    to get the same Fit to Fill functionality and behavior.
    As for finding out the properties of a clip in a source monitor,
    try using the Find Bin icon button (from Other tab in Command Palette)
    to locate the clip in its bin and show various columns.

• Mon, Jul 12 2010 5:35 PM In reply to

Thanks - i am going to have to read this one a few times with experimentation.

Regarding... 

bwilhelm:

....As for finding out the properties of a clip in a source monitor,
    try using the Find Bin icon button (from Other tab in Command Palette)
    to locate the clip in its bin and show various columns.

That helps.  I tried it also with a clip on the timeline and it just gives me the sequence in the bin. So would I be correct in assuming you can't get a clip's properties from the timeline, and the best way if I want to see the clip's properties is  to ALT + CLRL +C it to get it into the source monitor and then use FIND BIN ?

• Mon, Jul 12 2010 5:59 PM In reply to

• bwilhelm
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 19 2009
    • Avid (Burlington, MA)
    • Posts 158
    • Points 2,055
    • Avid Employee

You can display some clip properties directly on the timeline via the selections in the Clip Text menu.
    But for most info, I typically use the Match Frame / Find Bin method.

• Tue, Jul 13 2010 7:36 PM In reply to

Thanks for adding the match frame comment.   I would load a clip into the source viewer and choose find bin - and nothing. I added a Match Frame before the Find Bin and it works every time.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller