Latest post Wed, Apr 20 2011 5:56 PM by Mary Jimenez. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Dec 4 2009 7:32 PM

• FJD
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • NJ
    • Posts 49
    • Points 685

pc media drive transfer to mac media drive

I have just switched form a pc axp4.6 based system to a mac mc4 based system.  I would like to copy drive A media (Lacie used on old pc system) onto Drive B ( g raid new mac based system) and transplant the  old project folders .

On the mac, my new media driveB ( g raid) after opening  has a media folder with only a MXP folder in it. No OMFI. I realize this is the new format I should use going forward. so I manually copied the whole drive A OMFI folder into the new Drive B media folder giving me an MXP folder and OMFI folder. I was under the impression mc4 could play both formats but do they have to be in the same folder???

The old project bins appear,  but do not link up with the copied media.  Even more strange when i connect drive A ( old pc configured media drive) to the mac as well as the new Drive B, MC links the old project with THAT media.

Is this an easier solution or can someone please help me understand my mistake in relinking the copied media to the old project files??

Final result needed: one new media (drive B) on new mac MC 4 system with all old video  to work on old projects in Sd until which time i can discard.

Please, any help would be greatly appreciated !!!!!!

Mac book pro Processor 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Memory 4GB 1066Mz DDR3 SDRM-2x2GB Hard Drive 250GB Serial ATA @ 7200 Optical Drive SuperDrive 8X DL ... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Dec 4 2009 8:08 PM In reply to

Re: pc media drive transfer to mac media drive

The newer versions of Media Composer use both OMFI and MXF media.  The system defaults to MXF, so that is why you are only seeing one type of folder.

OMFI Media is in the OMFI MediaFiles folder, MXF media in the Avid MediaFiles folder.  Both must be at the root level of the drive.

The easiest way to solve this is change your media creation settings to OMF.  (SD only, HD must be MXF.)  Then import a file and the proper folder structure will be made for you.  Copy or move your OMF media to that folder, and you should be all set.

Media Composer v8.2 (w/Symph Option) • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • OS 10.8.5 • 20 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Fri, Dec 4 2009 8:27 PM In reply to

• FJD
    • Not Ranked
    • NJ
    • Posts 49
    • Points 685

Thank you. i will try that!!

From that point on when importing HD media it will default to MXF even with the media creation change to OMFI or do i need to manually make the change each time i import HD footage?

Mac book pro Processor 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Memory 4GB 1066Mz DDR3 SDRM-2x2GB Hard Drive 250GB Serial ATA @ 7200 Optical Drive SuperDrive 8X DL ... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Dec 4 2009 8:56 PM In reply to

I should clarify...the video will default back to MXF.  Since OMFI isn't possible, you don't have anything to do.

There is a separate Audio Media Creation setting in the Audio Project Setting.  That will be PCM for MXF media, but could be AIFF or WAV for OMFI media.  You can mix OMFI audio media with MXF video media.

Media Composer v8.2 (w/Symph Option) • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • OS 10.8.5 • 20 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Wed, Dec 9 2009 8:42 PM In reply to

• FJD
    • Not Ranked
    • NJ
    • Posts 49
    • Points 685

worked like a charm! Thank you !!!!!!

• Wed, Apr 20 2011 5:56 PM In reply to

• Mary Jimenez
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 12 2009
    • Bruxelles
    • Posts 21
    • Points 265

I have a PC external hard drive formatted NTFS Lacie with a MC project  "A" and media files.

The media is DNXxHD 185. Can I import these media to an HDV porject "B" on a MAC ?

If you would be so kind to tell me how to do this I would greatly appreciate.

Mac OS 10.6.6 - Nehalen 8 cores - AVID MC 5.5.2 - 6GB - MOJO SDI - MATROX mini [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller