Latest post Fri, Jun 25 2010 9:38 PM by hands11. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Dec 4 2009 2:27 AM

• drbgaijin
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Kumamoto, Japan
    • Posts 6,663
    • Points 83,625

Media Management - Completely Deleting a Project using the Media Tool

If you delete projects daily and can do it with your eyes shut then this tutorial will be of little or no interest to you.

But, believe you me, if you are doing this for the first time, and you are ready to press the "OK" button, your whole life flashes before you!

This tutorial is a record of my very first complete deletion of a project.

Regards,
    Douglas

This tutorial can be viewed at "Full-screen" by clicking on the icon on the toolbar

System 1:Edius Pro 7.4, AMC 6.5.4, - Windows 7 64 bit Pro SP1 - GeForce GTX 970, 340.52 driver - Quicktime 7.7.5 - 32GB memory, i7 4790K 4GHz CPU - Asus... [view my complete system specs]

Creator of Video Tutorials that mere mortals can understand

douglas@gaijin-eyes.com     Basic MC Tutorials 1   Basic MC Tutorials 2

• Fri, Dec 4 2009 6:33 AM In reply to

Re: Media Management - Completely Deleting a Project using the Media Tool

Some thoughts on media management for non network based storage system.

To complete your project deletion you should find the Avid Attic and delete the project from there as well.It is well worth checking the Attic once a month as it can grow to many GB's if you let it save its default x number of copies of each bin.

I have never deleted a project file. They are normally less than 10MB's and you never know what the future may bring. Murphies law states that 2 days after you delete a never to be reused project you need it.  (hope you have not found the Attic yet Douglas  Big Smile

With hard drive space now so cheap I very rarely delete the original capture media either.  I use the media tool to delete all of the precomputes (except for Titles and graphics). Then delete all of the mixdowns. This usually brings even the most unruley projects down to a manageable size.

The Free Russian program MDV will search all Avid Media folders and give you a list of all the Projects it finds whilst showing how much media is attached to each project. (You can select to search just MXF or just OMFI folders if you want to archive your media properly.)  Clicking on a Project name will reveal all media files attached to that Project.  These can then be selected and deleted..... or for me more usefully copied, or moved to a folder of my choice.  (Usually a "projectname" folder that has all the file based sources (including graphics) in it along with a correctly setup Avid MediaFiles folder and OMFI MediaFiles folder)

Experience has taught me that having almost instant access to all the original captured media will often save my bacon or at least free up some extra time to eat it.. 

For example Sometime later a project, demo reel etc some needs a particular shot.    the diminishing old grey cells kick into action and I remember using the shot I want in XXX project.  Then simply bring XXX's media back on line.... (Its already in a proper Avid media folder structure. see 2 paragraphs above)  Open the Bin from XXX project with the final cut sequences in it.  Match frame the appropriate shot back into the source monitor and you are away..

Please make Enter Slip and Enter Slide mode selection available for mapping (to buttons or KB) via the Command Palette.

• Fri, Dec 4 2009 7:14 AM In reply to

• drbgaijin
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Kumamoto, Japan
    • Posts 6,663
    • Points 83,625

Great stuff, Andrew!
    A goldmine of tips!

Anyone else want to add their words of wisdom?

(Larry Rubin sent mr a long list of Media management ideas about 6 months ago.
    But I never got round to doing anything - see the reasons below)
    I will let the dust settle on this one, then do a couple of follow Tutorials to cover what you all add.

I have steered clear of Media Managament in my tutorials for 2 main reasons:

1. I have not had to use it in any big way myself, as my editing is very low level and basic.
    and

2. There is so much it can do and in so many ways that I hadn't a clue where to start.

Now things are looking up!

Thank you,

Douglas

System 1:Edius Pro 7.4, AMC 6.5.4, - Windows 7 64 bit Pro SP1 - GeForce GTX 970, 340.52 driver - Quicktime 7.7.5 - 32GB memory, i7 4790K 4GHz CPU - Asus... [view my complete system specs]

Creator of Video Tutorials that mere mortals can understand

douglas@gaijin-eyes.com     Basic MC Tutorials 1   Basic MC Tutorials 2

• Fri, Dec 4 2009 3:11 PM In reply to

Good job, Douglas!

One additional tip - always set up an "offline" view for the timeline display, so that any media that is offline will show up as bright red clips in the timeline. This makes it much easier to see at a glance whether or not you have media offline in any given sequence. For more complex and longer sequences, you may need to expand the timeline a bit to make sure that extremely short clips that may be offline are visible.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Fri, Jun 25 2010 9:38 PM In reply to

• hands11
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 2
    • Points 10

You could also download this program.

It scans your system for Avid projects.

Highlight the project you want to delete and hit delete and it will remove the project, media, attic, etc.  Well, once you get past the confirm delete screen.

www.oceansystems.com/avid/Archiving-Avid-Projects/index.html

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller