Latest post Thu, Nov 12 2009 4:35 AM by josephbarnes79. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Nov 10 2009 6:10 PM

Will there be licensing issues for Media Composer on snow leopard?

I recently bought a new iMac with Snow Leopard and I'm wondering if I should expect licensing issues or glitches if I am to purchase and install Avid Media Composer. I can tell you that I'm not 100% computer savvy, and that when I attempted to download and install the Media Composer trial run online, I received the message: 'FAILED TO MIGRATE LICENSE INFO.'

I've been using Avid Xpress Pro for years with virtually no issues, but all these technical hurdles makes me want to migrate to Final Cut or something with less hassle. If someone can't even open and run the free trial online without trouble, what's that say about the product? Any help or clarification is appreciated.

• Tue, Nov 10 2009 6:14 PM In reply to

Re: Will there be licensing issues for Media Composer on snow leopard?

The biggest issue right now is that there is no current version of Media Composer that is 100% tested and approved for use with Snow Leopard. 

There is a workaround that many people are using, but again it's not an official fix. 

Search the Forums here for Pixie and SWL and you will find threads regarding the temp workaround fix. 

But, I'm unclear exactly why you're under the impression that migrating to FCP will be less hassle?  This Snow Leopard licensing issue is temporary at best and there is a viable workaround. 

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Tue, Nov 10 2009 6:19 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Three posts up from yours....

http://community.avid.com/forums/48.aspx

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Thu, Nov 12 2009 4:23 AM In reply to

Thanks for the insight. As far as going with something else, I just don't remember having any trouble like this when I purchased Xpress Pro, but as you say, I suppose it's attributable to the new operating system. Any ideas as to when they'll provide the official version for snow leopard?

• Thu, Nov 12 2009 4:35 AM In reply to

Cancel that. I saw the prior post; still getting used to this. I'll keep an eye out for a new version. Could you clarify about opening folders and getting permissions for the workaround--In layman's terms. I'm a simpleton with the technical/computer end of this stuff. Thanks.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller