Latest post Wed, Jan 13 2010 4:17 AM by Kenton.VanNatten. 19 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Oct 28 2009 2:03 PM

• btwien
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jan 15 2009
    • Mali, West-Afrika
    • Posts 169
    • Points 2,575

Soft glow transition

Hello all,

Do not know if you are familiar with the serie " Burn Notice", but they use one transition quite often.

It is as if there is a lot of hightlight put in over time and then dissolves into a new shot kind of...

Hard to explain (in English) I guess...

Would that be done with one of the effects already in MC are should it be done with keyframes / time?

Thanks for your input!

MC 5.5.3 Academic Version QT 7.7 Working with: PC, Windows 7, SP 1 Intel(R) Core(TM)i7 CPU 950 @3.07GHz 3.06 GHz NVIDIA Quadro 2000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Oct 28 2009 2:09 PM In reply to

Re: Soft glow transition

I haven't seen the show, though there are a few ways to do this.

Quick way would be to use BCC "Glow" as a transition, fade it in and out. Another way is to use a dip to color and make the dip white.

:: Work - Symphony Nitris DX 3.5.1, HP xw8600 :: Home - Intel 3.0Ghz Quad CPU 8GB G.Skill DDR3 7-7-7 1600 Ram Asus P5E3 Pro NVidia Quadro FX... [view my complete system specs]

"Don't go by my script, they're always wrong." - producer to me while editing

• Wed, Oct 28 2009 2:25 PM In reply to

I use this sometimes. ProDAD's Vitascene has many excellent such effects.

Vitascene.

Desktop PC

Corsair RM750X|Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)|i7 2600K@4.4|Corsair 32G DDR3|PNY Quadro P2000(390.77)|Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB|2x2TB WD RE4@RAID 0|2x500GB Mushkin SSD@RAID 0|LG BH16NS40|W10 Pro 64bit|Media Composer Software 2018.12 with Symphony Option on Dongle|2xHP 22'' Monitors|M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

3 Heads Digital Films

• Wed, Oct 28 2009 2:26 PM In reply to

• AKA Dave
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Dec 3 2007
    • Raleigh, NC
    • Posts 227
    • Points 2,735

The Saphire 3 effects package also has a "DissolveGlow" transition that you can just drop onto the cut.  It's a nice one if you have the plugin.  If not as stated, the BCC Glow effect can be ramped up with dissolves or keyframed from within the effect itself.  You just have to add it to the next video layer above your transition point with add edits and then apply it to the clip of filler.

Dave

MC 8.4.0 with Symphony Option. 27 Inch iMac. 3.5 GHz i7, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB, OS X 10.10.3 - MacBook Air i5 4GB RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 2 2009 4:39 PM In reply to

• btwien
    • Not Ranked
    • Mali, West-Afrika
    • Posts 169
    • Points 2,575

Thanks guys for all the answers posted: I will definitely give it a try...

What about giving the shot as a whole : a soft, "dreamy" feel ...?

MC 5.5.3 Academic Version QT 7.7 Working with: PC, Windows 7, SP 1 Intel(R) Core(TM)i7 CPU 950 @3.07GHz 3.06 GHz NVIDIA Quadro 2000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 2 2009 4:45 PM In reply to

Hi,

Try the BCC Film Process with the Highlight Blooming preset.  See if that says soft & dreamy to you.  :)

good luck,
    Carl 

Media Composer 2018.12.2 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Mon, Nov 2 2009 5:22 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

sverkalo:

I use this sometimes. ProDAD's Vitascene has many excellent such effects.

Vitascene.

I still have the 90 days trials on my website in case someone wants to have more tools in the box to play with

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Mon, Nov 2 2009 5:27 PM In reply to

For "glow" transitions, I like to put a Color Effect over the transition point on Filler.  Then keyframe the White parameter under Luma Range down to about 32 @ the mid-point (where the cut occurs).  This causes the White to blowout at the cut.  Sometimes, I will also add a standard dissolve between the two clips.  So, if my Color Effect is 10 frames, at 5 frames in the White blows out and the dissolve I use under it would be 8 frames centered.

I often find that many of the places I work don't have Sapphire installed, or they don't even have BCC installed (even though it comes free with MC).  So, I've relegated myself to using Avid standard effects most times - the best reason for using the Avid standard effects is that they are Real-Time.

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Wed, Nov 4 2009 2:26 PM In reply to

• btwien
    • Not Ranked
    • Mali, West-Afrika
    • Posts 169
    • Points 2,575

@ Kenton.VanNatten

Thanks for the (hand made) answer... I will definitely give it a try!!

Me myself do not have both BCC and Sapphire installed...As you mention BCC is free to install, you might want to give me some directions as to where to get it??

Is this to be found under the download center of my avid (personal) page? Thanks!

• Wed, Nov 4 2009 2:42 PM In reply to

• btwien
    • Not Ranked
    • Mali, West-Afrika
    • Posts 169
    • Points 2,575

One more thing: you mention...

I like to put a Color Effect OVER the transition point on Filler

Explain the bold aspects a little more if you want, normally the Color Effect is "placed"  in one shot, not OVER the transition right?

• Wed, Nov 4 2009 2:53 PM In reply to

Hi,

btwien:
    Me myself do not have both BCC and Sapphire installed...As you mention BCC is free to install, you might want to give me some directions as to where to get it??

Sorry, I just noticed you're running the Academic version, which does not include BCC.  If you want it, you'll have to purchase it.

So follow Kenton's suggestions about doing it from within Media Composer instead.

btwien:

I like to put a Color Effect OVER the transition point on Filler

Explain the bold aspects a little more if you want, normally the Color Effect is "placed"  in one shot, not OVER the transition right?

Step 1. Press CTRL+y to add a video track.

You should now have a track named V2 above V1.

Step 2. Activate V2 only.  Turn off all other video and audio tracks.

Step 3. Put the blue position indicator on the edit point where you're going to make a transition.

Step 4. Press Go Back 10 Frames (1 key on the top row).

Step 5. Press Add Edit (h key.  May be different on some systems.)

Step 6. Press Go Forward 10 Frames twice (2 key on the top row).

Step 7. Press Add Edit

Step 8. Drag and drop Color Correction effect onto 20 frame filler clip you created in steps 5 - 7.

Now you have a Color Correction effect on a filler track (V2) over the transition point on V1.

good luck,
    Carl 

Media Composer 2018.12.2 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Wed, Nov 4 2009 7:37 PM In reply to

btwien:

I like to put a Color Effect OVER the transition point on Filler

Explain the bold aspects a little more if you want, normally the Color Effect is "placed"  in one shot, not OVER the transition right?

Not necessarily.

Nearly all of the effects (with the exception of some transitions) can be applied to a Filler track above all of the clips.  Let's say you have a group of 5 or 6 shots that you want to apply the same effect to.  You don't have to apply the same effect 5 or 6 times to each clip.  Just apply the effect once above the 5 or 6 shots on an empty Filler track.  So, for my Color Effect glow, I go to the cut point and back up about 5 frames, make an Add Edit onto the Filler then advance 10 frames and make another Add Edit on the Filler.  Then I drop the Color Effect on the section I've just isolated that sits over the clips and the cut point between them.

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Fri, Nov 13 2009 3:00 PM In reply to

• btwien
    • Not Ranked
    • Mali, West-Afrika
    • Posts 169
    • Points 2,575

@Kenton

Got you, thanks! It worked, now I need to play around with it a bit.

• Mon, Nov 16 2009 9:47 PM In reply to

• iedjie
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 236
    • Points 2,740

To get the BCC, (or any other plugin's), "glow-look" you can copy the video which is on v1 to v2. (For example with alt-C, than you load the selected videotrack from in to out point in the source monitor so you can place it unto another track or place in the timeline.)

Than add a 3dwarp, than nest a colour effect and finally nest a blur. Scale the 3dwarp to 101 or 103 or so, add white to the colour effect and add some saturation, blur the whole image a little and after this play with the 3dwarp foreground slider to mix v2 with layer v1 and you will get the "glow-look".

This nest on v2 can be alt-copied to the source monitor and applied to other places in the timeline. Offcourse you have to open the nest fully and replace the video with the video which is currently at v1. You can save the whole nest to a bin as a sub-sequence

mobo MSI P55-GD65, CPU Intel i5-750 @ 3.2 Ghz, memory G.SKILL F3-10666CL7D 2x4GB, Videocard Nvidia Quadro FX 3700, PSU OCZ 500MXSP, Harddisks; Crucial... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Nov 25 2009 2:50 PM In reply to

• btwien
    • Not Ranked
    • Mali, West-Afrika
    • Posts 169
    • Points 2,575

@ camoscato

I now have the BCC effects loaded in my Media Composer and am wondering about the "soft & dreamy" you mentioned via BCC Film Process with the Highlight Blooming preset.

I do see the BCC Film Process effect, but what about the 2nd part? Do I need to set these within the same effect or somewhere different?

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller