Latest post Fri, Sep 17 2010 11:04 AM by minothi. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Oct 12 2009 4:28 PM

AVCHD and Media Composer:

Hello,

I got a new camera from Panasonic (HMC-150). How does Media Composer deal with AVCHD? Do I need to convert it via MetaFuze?

How does MetaFuze compare to Cineform's codec? I am using Prospect HD and love it.

Presently I am using PPCS3 because PPS4 and Cineform don't work well together yet.

Avid Media Composer does sound interesting but need to know how it deals with AVCHD first.

Thanks for any advice in advance,

Simon

• Mon, Oct 12 2009 4:50 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 3,592
    • Points 47,455

Re: AVCHD and Media Composer:

Do a forum search for ACVHD - MC doesn't work with ACVHD natively. You'll have to transcode it into an MC supported format. I'm not sure if MetaFuze can perform this conversion (I suspect not but please do the search). This comes up regularly as a forum topic.

To Forum moderators: You might consider an ACVHD sticky if Avid has some officially perscribed workflow for this codec....

Camera(s) Sony HDR-FX1, Hero 3+ | MC 8.1 | QT 7.7.5 | BCC 8.2 | Boris RED 5.5 Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1 | System: P6X58D-E, Core i7 960, Quadro 4000 2GB (340... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

• Mon, Oct 12 2009 4:56 PM In reply to

I will do a search. That is too bad that it is not accepted natively. It is a pretty good codec.

Simon

• Mon, Oct 12 2009 5:20 PM In reply to

• Mark Renz
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 21 2006
    • Kansas City, MO
    • Posts 988
    • Points 12,265

Look for Panasonic AVCHD to P2 converter. It is a freebie from Panasonic.

Media Composer Nitris DX 8.1 Dual 3GHz Mac Pro 8GB Ram 10.8.5 * Media Composer 8.1 with Symphony option Nitris DX Dual 2.66GHz "Westmere" Mac... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Oct 12 2009 5:45 PM In reply to

Okay. That seems easy enough.

And once it is in P2 form, Media Composer has no issues with it?

thanks,

Simon

• Mon, Oct 12 2009 5:52 PM In reply to

• Mark Renz
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 21 2006
    • Kansas City, MO
    • Posts 988
    • Points 12,265

That is correct

Media Composer Nitris DX 8.1 Dual 3GHz Mac Pro 8GB Ram 10.8.5 * Media Composer 8.1 with Symphony option Nitris DX Dual 2.66GHz "Westmere" Mac... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Apr 17 2010 6:46 PM In reply to

• Wynn
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 17 2010
    • Posts 1
    • Points 0

Hi , I just joined the fourum....I have an HMC 150. I can use the panasonic P2 encoder and encode the.MTS filles to MFX file..But then the MFX files won't import into MC 4.05..I get an error saying check on how to transfer files. I have and still can't import the transcoded files...Any Ideas??? Thanks, Wynn

• Sun, Apr 18 2010 6:47 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 4,563
    • Points 53,885

How are You importing the files? Please describe Your workflow.

MC 7 MXO2, P9X79 Pro i7-3930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro 600, StarTech PEX1394B3 FW controller, two 2x1TB raid 0 stripes + MC 3 on G4 MacBook 17" [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Thu, May 6 2010 8:52 PM In reply to

To take AVCHD (Canon or Panasonic) you need the AVCHD to DVCPRO (P2) converter that is free from panasonic (let me know if you don't find it i will send it to you, it is like 4 MB.  after you convert it to P2 format you'll have a folder that is "Contents". in there is the media The "Contents" folder will be your "root directory"... remember this.  You cannot put other files or folders under this directory, but you can, if you have several cameras, or files that you want to be all in one folder, copy and paste the media from each folder (under "Contents" ) into which ever you decide to use as your main "contents" folder.  Ok, so after you convert, go into Media Composer, and choose under file "Link to AMA volume". (make sure you select a BIN prior to clicking on FILE)  it will give you an option to use current bin, or it will create one called AMA Bin, and the clips will be yellow.  everytime to open the project it will relink to the folders!  it's pretty easy, and saves on space (no AVCHD to P2 to MXF, it cuts out the MXF import, saving HD space)

Cheers

Mike

I Know a Guy LLC

• Fri, Sep 17 2010 11:04 AM In reply to

• minothi
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Sep 17 2010
    • Posts 2
    • Points 20

Hi!

Please send me the avchd to dvcpro (p2) converter thats compatible with canon HD cams. I use Canon HFS10. The latest version only support panasonic. The first version supports Canon, and is not available anywhere! How can you send it to me? You need me e mail?

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller