Latest post Sat, Jun 19 2010 4:30 PM by Job ter Burg. 53 replies.
Page 2 of 4 (54 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Sep 25 2009 9:09 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,582
    • Points 65,470

Re: Avid Symphony v4.0.2 Released

Abeyta:
    Does the new mix and match feature replace Universal Mastering?
    Not replacing, I said kind of available, as it is somehow a relative to universal mastering.

Symphony 2018.12.3, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Sat, Sep 26 2009 1:25 AM In reply to

• Abeyta
    • Not Ranked
    • Phoenix
    • Posts 198
    • Points 2,465

I haven't seen mix and match in action yet so I don't know what the limitations are.

I guess the question is, what can Universal Mastering do that mix and match can't? 

Mac Pro 2013 6 Core 3.5ghz, MC Symphony 8.7, 16GB RAM, D700, OS 10.10.5, Ultrastudio 4K, Pegasus2 R6 12TB [view my complete system specs]

Derrick Abeyta | Blu Pixel

Phoenix, Arizona

www.blupixelpost.com

• Sat, Sep 26 2009 5:51 AM In reply to

• Brickwad
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Simsbury, CT
    • Posts 950
    • Points 11,625

TCurren:

No extra features... bend over.

It's just like the Adrenaline fiasco a few years back. MC soft upgrade: $495. MC Adrenaline upgrade: $995 - even though it was the EXACT same software. This time the EXACT same feature upgrades cost $500 more for Symphony users. By the way, a support contract for Symphony is a grand more than MC - so Symphony users get it on both ends. Bend over indeed!

1 MC4 Nitris DX on 12 core 2.66 mac pro 6 Gigs of Ram, 2 Symphony Nitris DX on eight core mac pro with 12 gig ram, 3 MC7 on Mac Pro, IMAC, and Macbook... [view my complete system specs]

WWLD?

• Sat, Sep 26 2009 7:17 AM In reply to

Universal Mastering means that you can take any 23/24/25p SD or HD project and output as 23/24/25/29 p or i SD or HD during Digital Cut, including necessary speed changes.

Mix and match allows you to use different framerates within the same project, and it will adjust motion adapters on clips that don't match the sequence frame rate.

With UM, if you need to deliver a PAL 25p broadcast master from a 23.98p project, you do a Digital Cut at 25fps, speeding it up ±4%.

If you would need to deliver the same master using M&M, you would not easily achieve this. If you would open your 23.98p sequence in a 50i or 25p project, M&M would autochange the playback speed of the clips in the timeline, so that realtime remains realtime. Which will not give you a generally accepted broadcast master.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Sep 26 2009 9:37 AM In reply to

I'm sorry, but this is outrageous IMHO. Symphony users have been neglected for so long but continue to admirably hang in there with Avid.

For the initial price they pay for Symphony (what is the price now for a new Symphony anyway?) they still have to pay MORE for an upgrade w/ no new Symphony only features? This upgrade cost them as much as the entire Final Cut Studio suite.

This is very poor treatment of the loyal and helpful user base. It lends to the belief that Avid gives mostly lip service to Symphony users.

I'm well aware that Avid has been losing money and downsizing, but this pricing seems horribly penny wise and pound foolish. Taking into account the users who will just pass on the upgrade and those who will jump ship to FCP, esp. since that's where an industry fueled by Red seems to be going, I wouldn't be surprised if the net effect of this pricing is just further pissed-off Symphony users. And that only weakens Avid's already tenuous place in the finishing world.

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Sat, Sep 26 2009 9:42 AM In reply to

BobbyMurcerFan:
    what is the price now for a new Symphony anyway
    I believe Symphony /w Nitris DX is around 6K more than MC w/ Nitris DX. At least, list price.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Sep 26 2009 10:26 AM In reply to

Job ter Burg:

BobbyMurcerFan:
    what is the price now for a new Symphony anyway
    I believe Symphony /w Nitris DX is around 6K more than MC w/ Nitris DX. At least, list price.

Well to be fair to Symphony, it does come with a dual quad core 3.0 gig Xenon workstation.

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Sat, Sep 26 2009 10:55 AM In reply to

I think that was included in the equation.

• Sat, Sep 26 2009 5:28 PM In reply to

• Abeyta
    • Not Ranked
    • Phoenix
    • Posts 198
    • Points 2,465

BobbyMurcerFan:
    For the initial price they pay for Symphony (what is the price now for a new Symphony anyway?) they still have to pay MORE for an upgrade w/ no new Symphony only features? This upgrade cost them as much as the entire Final Cut Studio suite.

Yes I agree, I'm going to pass on this update. I can't justify paying $500 more for the same exact features as MC. I wouldn't have a problem with paying a higher price if we had some Symphony only features thrown in.

When I bought my Symphony DX last year the msrp was $35,000 and included a CPU.

Mac Pro 2013 6 Core 3.5ghz, MC Symphony 8.7, 16GB RAM, D700, OS 10.10.5, Ultrastudio 4K, Pegasus2 R6 12TB [view my complete system specs]

Phoenix, Arizona

www.blupixelpost.com

• Sat, Sep 26 2009 5:32 PM In reply to

• Abeyta
    • Not Ranked
    • Phoenix
    • Posts 198
    • Points 2,465

Job ter Burg:
    If you would need to deliver the same master using M&M, you would not easily achieve this. If you would open your 23.98p sequence in a 50i or 25p project, M&M would autochange the playback speed of the clips in the timeline, so that realtime remains realtime. Which will not give you a generally accepted broadcast master.

Thanks for clarifying.

Phoenix, Arizona

www.blupixelpost.com

• Sat, Sep 26 2009 5:53 PM In reply to

• berga
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Stockholm, Sweden, Europe
    • Posts 1,658
    • Points 19,845

Job ter Burg:

Universal Mastering means that you can take any 23/24/25p SD or HD project and output as 23/24/25/29 p or i SD or HD during Digital Cut, including necessary speed changes.

Mix and match allows you to use different framerates within the same project, and it will adjust motion adapters on clips that don't match the sequence frame rate.

With UM, if you need to deliver a PAL 25p broadcast master from a 23.98p project, you do a Digital Cut at 25fps, speeding it up ±4%.

Sorry, I do not understand this.

Are You telling us that if we using MaM we will not get any accepted broadcast master? What is the point with MaM when? Just a marketing gimmick?

HP xw4600, 3.2Mhz, 4Gb RAM, Mojo. 500GB SATA Bootdrive, 3x500GB internal raid-0 for video, Windows 7 Pro Swedish, MC7 with Symphony option, Blackmagic... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Sep 26 2009 6:12 PM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,994
    • Points 37,745

I think what he is referring to is that each individual clip would have 2:3 pulldown added, but not the whole show. This means that the cadence would change at every shot which would not be acceptable.

You would also have to rerender everything that had effects. And I'm not sure what would happen to any shot that already had a motion effect applied. Plus you have to recreate all of your titles. And you can't apply M&M to matte keys, etc.

Symphony Universal applies 2:3 pulldown to the output as it goes to tape. This maintains a consistent 2:3 throughout your show and applies to everything in the show without requiring any additional rendering.

Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Terence Curren Alpha Dogs, Inc.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.digitalservicestation.com

www.editorslounge.com

• Sat, Sep 26 2009 6:13 PM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,994
    • Points 37,745

PS: If Universal is a regular requirement in your workflow, it is worth the extra $500.

Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Terence Curren Alpha Dogs, Inc.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.digitalservicestation.com

www.editorslounge.com

• Sat, Sep 26 2009 7:22 PM In reply to

Abeyta:

When I bought my Symphony DX last year the msrp was $35,000 and included a CPU.

I believe a turnkey MC 3.0 Nitris DX system was $20,000 at that time.

• Sun, Sep 27 2009 2:02 AM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • New Jersey
    • Posts 2,255
    • Points 27,845
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: Avid ISIS
      Moderator: Avid NEXIS PRO
      Moderator: Avid Storage Products

TCurren:

And you can't apply M&M to matte keys, etc.

One slight correction. Mix and Match doesn't work with Imported Alpha Channels but it does work on Matte Key effects. The old trick of stepping in and coping and pasting the Matte to a different track, deleting the effect and using a Matte Key is a work around for mixing down the effect.

https://www.youtube.com/avidevangelistbob [view my complete system specs]

-- Bob Russo Post-Production Workflow Manager - NFL Films

Bob Russo on Expert Connections

Page 2 of 4 (54 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller