Latest post Fri, Sep 11 2009 6:21 PM by TCurren. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Sep 10 2009 2:45 PM

• spejampar
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 3 2008
    • Evanston, IL
    • Posts 38
    • Points 460

Decompose/Consolidate with batch Import

This is probably a pretty basic question but I'll ask it anyway.  

I understand that decompose takes all the clips in a sequence, makes new master clips for each of them, relinks the sequence to those new, offline master clips and then you're basically supposed to recapture the media and then you can delete the older media that is either taking up a lot of space or is really low quality (I believe it's called "offline editing").

But how do you do it when you're dealing with imported clips opposed to clips from a tape?  For instance, I import 10 or 20 clips at 10:1 resolution that total over 10 minutes, but I only use about 1 minute of that footage.  I would love to bring only the used footage online at the proper res.  So how do I do this?  One thought is to Batch Import all the clips at full res (I guess that could be done at the beginning too), Manually make sublips of the parts that I'm using if I didn't do that in the first place, then Consolidate each subclip so it makes a new master clip and then manually replace the clips in the sequence with the new master subclips.  It's fairly time consuming so I'm sure there's a better, automated way to do this.

I think I tried the decompose feature but it was weird.  For one thing, I don't think it kept the audio and video together (or maybe I wasn't looking at it right) and when I went to batch import the new, shorter master clips, it went to import the ENTIRE clip instead of just the part I need.  I guess that sort of makes sense but there's got to be a better way.

Thanks!
    Spencer 

• Thu, Sep 10 2009 4:24 PM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,993
    • Points 37,730

Re: Decompose/Consolidate with batch Import

You have to bring the whole thing. Traditionally, Avid didn't read TC on imports. So it assigned a default start of 1 hour and counted frames from there. If you created a new shorter master clip via decompose, then reimported that new master clip, Avid would just give you a new shorter clip starting at the beginning of the file. Not workable. That is why imports are a separate option in the decompose window.

Avid does read TC now, but from what I've seen so far (haven't tested this extensively yet) it still suffers from the old problem. So it appears that it has to bring the whole file in.

One thing to remember, Avid doesn't "read" TC in it's interface. It only reads a start TC and counts frames form there.

Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Terence Curren Alpha Dogs, Inc.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.digitalservicestation.com

www.editorslounge.com

• Fri, Sep 11 2009 2:51 PM In reply to

• spejampar
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 3 2008
    • Evanston, IL
    • Posts 38
    • Points 460

Yeah, that sounds like the problem.  So the Avid "reading" TC is one thing, but I guess the question now is "is there a way to do decompose with imported clips that will work?"  I see the "imported clips" option in decompose which I'm 99% positive I checked, but it seems pretty silly to even have that option if it's not going to import just the part I need.

Thanks!
    Spencer 

• Fri, Sep 11 2009 6:21 PM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,993
    • Points 37,730

It was more to keep from decomposing the imports with the tape sourced material. Made a lot of sense in the past.

Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Terence Curren Alpha Dogs, Inc.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.digitalservicestation.com

www.editorslounge.com

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller