Latest post Tue, Aug 17 2010 3:46 PM by Ervz Tia (Tikboy). 29 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jul 16 2009 7:23 AM

Storage Hunt: Evo, Editshare...

Hello,

In an evolving solution for a storage system, I am currently looking at these two products. Please help me decide.

MAIN CONCERN:

-Compatibility with MacPro and Windows workstations. We swap projects across workstations.
    -Fast/reliable data tranfer rate
    -Easy hard drive swapping for refiling or archiving.
    -Minimal cost

Thank you.

Avid MC 8.3 | OSX 10.8.5 | MacPro 8-Core, 24 GB | HDV/H264/AVCHD/DV/, Sony HVR-Z1/Z7, Canon EOS [view my complete system specs]

Ervz Tia | Video Productions
    WM Communications, Asia-Pacific | Philippines

--

• Thu, Jul 16 2009 7:58 AM In reply to

• mvegas
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 1,555
    • Points 17,910

Re: Storage Hunt: RAIDSTREAM...

No experience with either model above.  Recommend checking compatibility on their website and that of Atto.

Whatever your decision is, Avid does not recommend hotswap at all.

If you do purchase suggest you report back to the forums your experiences

thanks 

• Thu, Jul 16 2009 8:14 AM In reply to

Thank you.

I've never heard about it. We are actually using a hot-swap system on one of our workstations. It working well so far. I understand the risk of accidentally unmounting it while working which true on almost all computing work.

Im now browsing at Lacie products.

Avid MC 8.3 | OSX 10.8.5 | MacPro 8-Core, 24 GB | HDV/H264/AVCHD/DV/, Sony HVR-Z1/Z7, Canon EOS [view my complete system specs]

--

Filed under: , , ,
  • Thu, Jul 16 2009 4:46 PM In reply to

The good news? Those are cheap, buy a couple extras, or at least a spare. Also, don't count on being able to buy those sleds (the one that uses them) for long, so buy a lot of them. The one that uses raw drives is interesting, but it depends how often you send your drives around. That could get annoying. I don't really see how these are better than firewire drives in the long run.

"hot swap" is really only great if you have a standard like the old Avid drives so you can send them to other shops. If you have to send over a case too, it might as well be any other firewire drive. Mount a shelf, tie down a firewire or sata cable to the shelf along wiht a power cable so it can't walk off, and you have "hot swap" capabilities and a case that anyone anywhere can use.

Chinese boxes are chinese boxes, it's all about who tests them and how and who can get you parts beyond the 2 week factory run in Taiwan. Ask anyone in the storage industry. Most "drive" manufacturers are a warehouse in Orange County with a screwdriver and a UPS account. I know, I've been to several like that. (no, I won't name names)

That's just my $.02

Don't trust the internet...

• Thu, Jul 16 2009 6:47 PM In reply to

get some hustle with another outfit from Orange County, CalDigit.  Their screwdrivers are sharp and so are their engineers.  And they know video storage.  I know cost points are critical, but so's the data...

2 systems: Mobile: 15-inch Macbook Pro Retina 2.6GHZ i7 w/16 gig RAM, 1TB SSD, OS 10.12.6 running MC 2018.6 Legacy - MC v5.5.4, OS 10.5.8, QT 7.6, on Quad... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jul 17 2009 6:54 AM In reply to

awesome recommendations!

i'm checking out CalDigit too. keep the ideas coming.

thanks!

--

• Fri, Sep 25 2009 10:50 AM In reply to

Ok, I'm now looking at Lacie 2Big Quadra and Drobo. What can you say about them?

Thanks.

--

• Fri, Sep 25 2009 3:18 PM In reply to

• MiamiSteve
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, May 24 2007
    • Miami, FL
    • Posts 168
    • Points 2,090

How about the LaCie Biggest S2S eSata Drive?  I have the drive on my system it is 2.5TB and fast.  I have had it for about a year and it has been very reliable.

http://www.lacie.com/support/support_manifest.htm?id=10194

Media Composer 8.1 * 2013 Mac Pro 3.5GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5, 32 GB Memory * OSX 10.9.5 * Blackmagic UltraStudio 4k * Lacie 4TB Thunderbolt Drive [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Sep 25 2009 4:10 PM In reply to

• joshdvx
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • New York, NY
    • Posts 551
    • Points 6,640

I'm jumping in this conversation since I am curious about the Drobo as well, I've been looking at picking one up for a while now.

Interested in learning Media Composer? In NYC? I teach Media Composer classes tailored for reality tv assistant editors. http://joshluddeni.com [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Sep 25 2009 4:25 PM In reply to

• siencs
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 17 2007
    • Aberystwyth, Wales
    • Posts 436
    • Points 5,030
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Certified User

FWIW all info on FCP forums seems to be that drobo is NG, and many naysayers on Lacie (although mine have all been fine).

Most recommendations seem to be for Caldigit, Wiebetech, G-Tech and OWC.

There does seem to be some feeling that G-Tech quality has declined since being taken over by Hitachi though.

MC Symphony 8.8.5 on MacPro 3GHz 8-Core Xeon 12GB RAM, OS 10.12.6, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K MC Symphony 8.8.1 on iMac [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Sep 25 2009 4:28 PM In reply to

Drobo is slow. Not sure what performance you are expecting but I doubt you will be able to push DNxHD out of unless it is DNx36.

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Sep 27 2009 1:12 AM In reply to

the CalDigit HDOne has been in service here for a year.  Really hustles along w/nary a burp. I'm still impressed that when I call up, they send me straight back to the guys in the white coats who engineer them and write the code for their systems. Pretty unique setup there

2 systems: Mobile: 15-inch Macbook Pro Retina 2.6GHZ i7 w/16 gig RAM, 1TB SSD, OS 10.12.6 running MC 2018.6 Legacy - MC v5.5.4, OS 10.5.8, QT 7.6, on Quad... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Sep 27 2009 3:04 AM In reply to

• bobcat
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 20 2006
    • Southwest, USA
    • Posts 522
    • Points 6,075

Caldigit HD Element in use for 6 months. Very good product and support. Great raid system and software. Worth the money if editing is your business.

Avid MC 6.5.2.1 with 27"iMac 2.8GHz Intel i7 OSX 10.8.3, 12GB memory, ATi Radeon HD 4850, Caldigit Raid [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Sep 27 2009 3:33 AM In reply to

I've looked at the Drobo often, but only as a data backup device (I think that is how they intend it to be used also).  I don't think that it would be suitable for live media storage. 

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Sun, Sep 27 2009 8:17 AM In reply to

• mvegas
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 1,555
    • Points 17,910

There is a product review of the Drobo array on Cnet.com.  According to the review.

"The bad:Drobo itself is an USB-only device, and networking capability adds $200 to the bill; we would like to see Drobo bundled with a good backup application."

USB in general has slow transfer rates so have to agree with Kenton that as data backup using the Drobo drive would be fine but to stream media the technology most likely is not fast enough

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller