Latest post Tue, Jun 30 2009 1:09 PM by Medienmacher. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jun 29 2009 11:42 AM

• Medienmacher
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jan 22 2009
    • Hassfurt (Germany)
    • Posts 11
    • Points 135

Using different HD-Formats & Framerates in one project/timeline --> what does AVID do on import?

Hey guys.

I hope someone can help me, trying to understand how AVID MC 3.5 deals with different formats and framerates:

I am currently starting with a project that really needs a lot of different formats to mix:

- DVCPro HD 720p/25  (P2)

- DVCPro HD 720p/23,98  (PS)

- AVID DNxHD 185 1080i/25  (MXF-Files)

- Quicktime-Movies with libquicktime-1.0.0-Codec, 1920x1080, 25fps

- Quicktime-Movies Apple ProRes 422, 1920x1080, 24fps

- R3D-Files, RedCode 3840x2160, 23,98fps

The final video should have 25fps (PAL) and a HD-resolution, but it`s not sure at the moment if 720 is sufficient or if Full HD with 1080 is needed.

The resolution itself is not the big problem, as I can mix these in the "open timeline". But obviously I cannot mix the different framerates.

In order to get a overview of the available footage for me and the customers I created a 720p/25-project and mounted the P2-folder with 720p/25 (thanks to AMA!). I also can use the 1080/25 MXF-files there, that originally came from a HDCAM-Tape. So far so good.

But what`s the correct way to use the files with different formats?

I imported some of the other files as well, and it worked!! So according to the headings in the BIN for example the 24fps-Apple ProRes-Files have 25fps, now. Same with imported libquicktime-Files.

For the DVCPro HD 720p/23,98-files I created another fitting project, selected the footage I want to use, and exported this with 25 fps. Geeked

Well, for a first footage selection this will do it, but I am not happy with this.

What does AVID do when importing files with 23,98fps into a 25fps-project? I can see that the clips jutter a bit because of the missing frames, of course. So that seems not to be a great solution.

Can anyone help me with this?

What`s the "correct" workflow for projects that have different formats and framerates?

And: how can I be sure that the framerates and formats as shown in a bin are REALLY correct, and not imported the wrong way? For example when I receive MXF-Files for Editing, and simply drag them in the AVID Media Files Folder and connect them via Media Tool....

I`m thankfull for any hint and help on this!

Thanks in advance.

AVID Media Composer (MAC) @UNITY AVID Xpress Pro (Windows) [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 29 2009 2:16 PM In reply to

Re: Using different HD-Formats & Framerates in one project/timeline --> what does AVID do on import?

If you're converting frame rates strictly within Avid, I don't know if there's a better way than this: 

http://www.24p.com/conversion.htm

I'd love to be proven wrong there, though.

• Mon, Jun 29 2009 5:00 PM In reply to

Re: Using different HD-Formats & Framerates in one project/timeline --> what does AVID do on import?

One of the biggest things is basically, "does it look right?" If you aren't matching back, and never will need to, like in an online/offline edit, you can do what you like, but know that you may not ever be able to re-create that import. The 24p.com version is cool, and for bigger jobs a terranex or other hardware device is safest but not realistic for indie budgets.

As always, "adding" frames/fields is easier than taking them away. And if you can't "go back" to what you've done, go high res for your transcoded media.

Also, "Full HD" is not a correct way to think about 720 vs. 1080. There's technically more info in a progressive 720 frame than an interlaced 1080 one. Google it.

Don't trust the internet...

• Tue, Jun 30 2009 1:09 PM In reply to

• Medienmacher
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jan 22 2009
    • Hassfurt (Germany)
    • Posts 11
    • Points 135

tube vacuum:

If you're converting frame rates strictly within Avid, I don't know if there's a better way than this: 

http://www.24p.com/conversion.htm

I'd love to be proven wrong there, though.

Cool! Thanks for this. I remember having seen this page in the past, but somehow I forgot it. Will definitely try this. Does anyone know if this FluidMotion/Timewarp solution is better than e.g. changing framerates in After Effects? There are a lot of possibilities, too, there.

@ hidefcowboy:

A great hint, thx! Seems those "new" workflows with different footage from hard-drives, flash-cards etc need a new thinking of media in the matter of re-creating older projects. Was easier with good old tapes, wasn`t it?

Well, anyone else that has experience in handling such different formats?

AVID Media Composer (MAC) @UNITY AVID Xpress Pro (Windows) [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller