Latest post Thu, Jun 25 2009 7:22 PM by mjolnarn. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jun 24 2009 11:30 PM

• EditOren
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 24 2009
    • Posts 2
    • Points 40

AMA mute audio bug - Will it ever get fixed?

I have MC 3.5 using footage shot with a Sony EX1.  I've been so excited at how flawlessly AMA seemed to work, until I discovered that audio plays back only if it is cut to track 1&2.  Obviously it's nearly impossible to cut anything professionally using only 2 tracks.  So I assumed Avid would be right on top of this bug since it's so egregious and since they are touting AMA as the next big thing.  Admittedly AMA is awesome if it worked properly but with this bug it's utterly unusable.  Checking the knowlege base I found the latest answer from Bob Russo on this was written on 05-29-2009, relating to this thread:

"Serious audio bug makes new AMA-feature useless!"

Are we ANY closer to a patch?  Is there an ETA on when this bug is fixed?

• Thu, Jun 25 2009 3:15 PM In reply to

Re: AMA mute audio bug - Will it ever get fixed?

EditOren:
    Checking the knowlege base I found the latest answer from Bob Russo

If you already read Bob's answer you should know that there is a workaround (consolidating) to that issue. So you should be able to edit in a "professional" way.

As far as I know there are people from both, Avid and Sony, already working to make EX media integrate better into AMA.

EditOren:
    Of have you given up on AMA completely already?

Don't know. Have you? Seriously, stop ranting ("utterly unusable"/"Obviously it's nearly impossible to cut anything professionally" ...), AMA is not perfect right now but it is an improvement which already works. 

My $0.2, g_f

Dell Precision m6400, Intel QX9300 2,5GHz Quadcore, nVidia QuadroFX 3700@1GB, 4GB RAM, M-Box2, MC 3.5.1 Software Only, ProTools LE 8cs2, WindowsXP 32bit... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 25 2009 3:23 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

As has been mentioned here, this is not a bug. This functionality is as designed by Sony and not Avid. We are actively working with Sony to change the way their codec works and hope to be able to cross patch in AMA someday soon.

AMA was only released in Q1 of this year so, in development terms, it hasn't been that long. I, for one, sincerely hope that our patience will be rewarded someday soon.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Thu, Jun 25 2009 3:27 PM In reply to

EditOren:
    Are we ANY closer to a patch???

3.5 hasn't been out that long and if my memory serves, the development cycle from the time a bug is identified, reported to customer support, escalated to a "customer issues SQA team", prioritized, processed, assigned to an engineering resource, re-tested by the SQA team and then released in line with a patch release containing other issues is a pretty lengthy and complicated process.  

It is frustrating that a bug such as this could slip through in the first place, but seems to me that it would be more prudent for them to thoroughly test the AMA fixes and get them right, rather them rush the fix and potentially adversely affect other areas.  

EditOren:
    Is there an ETA on when this ridiculous bug is fixed?

You will never get an official announcement of when a bug will be fixed.  

EditOren:
    Of have you given up on AMA completely already?

This statement just seems spiteful and perhaps you should consider editing your post to remove it.    

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Thu, Jun 25 2009 6:49 PM In reply to

• EditOren
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 24 2009
    • Posts 2
    • Points 40

I appreciate everyone's input.   I apologize for my comment coming off as "spiteful", it just seemed like the kind of bug that would be caught very early on since it affects the most basic editing functionality.  I mean in testing if you try to build the simplest of sequences and play it back you notice immediately something isn't right.  I'm assuming that testing involves cutting footage into a sequence and playing it back.

I understand the AMA functionality was just recently released, but for Avid to take the position that despite not being able to patch audio, AMA works, is like a car company releasing a new model that does everything but shift gears properly.  So yes the car technically "drives", but only if you're happy staying in first gear the whole time.

As far as the workaround of consolidating all the clips... correct me if I'm wrong but if you have to turn all your EX1 clips into MXF files by consolidating, doesn't that defeat the purpose of AMA? Which is being able to link to video files in their native format without any rewrapping, and off of any drive? At that point you might as well go back to the original method of using Sony ClipBrowser and importing the clips. 

Please don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of Avid and I always get excited when functionality like AMA is added.  I've been touting it to everyone I know because it's such an incredible time-saver.  But then I actually started editing with it and was dissappointed to find out that once again there's a HUGE caveat that to me renders AMA unusable at this time.  My only hope is that Avid addresses this issue quickly so that I can go back to using this revolutionary new workflow.

• Thu, Jun 25 2009 7:22 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

I have just created a BD disc with media from an EX3, 3 cards and 115 clips using AMA and the transcoding - consolidating process, length of project 1 h 25 minutes , no errors at all.

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller