Latest post Tue, May 26 2009 4:55 PM by Randall L Rike. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, May 23 2009 9:50 PM

• swatchpost
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Apr 4 2008
    • Los Angeles, CA
    • Posts 96
    • Points 1,165

DISK_FILE_NOT_FOUND Weirdness

Hello All,

Well, something was bound to happen.  Just bought a new 2.93 8core Mac Pro, and have MC 3.5.1 (never installed—was waiting for the new computer).  Everything is to Avid specs.  I've been working on a DV25 offline for a feature and have all my media on a Buffalo 1TB drive FW800 and have been primarily working off my laptop running MC 3.0.5 and it's been working like a charm.  All the audio for the project is on two separate partitions than the video partition.  Video is MXF and all audio is OMFI.

I installed MC 3.5.1, registered, etc. imported my settings, put the project in the Shared Avid Projects folder and booted up the drives.

After the startup splash screen was complete (so after the Initializing Media Streams was already passed) it started to scan the drives starting with the MXF video partition.  It got through the first scan, then scanned the drive again and EVERY time at 1:30 through the second scan a warning appears: 

"Exception: 'DISK_FILE_NOT_FOUND' An error occurred validating the media diretory: Avid MXF Media: Avid MediaFiles: MXF: 1"

SO...here's what I've done so far:

Deleted settings, used new user settings, created new project and moved bins over from old project, dumped the media databases, MC State, etc. and nothing is working. I get the error for the MXF partition as well as one of the OMFI audio partitions.  Checked to make sure I've got enough storage on the drive and I've got PLENTY of room.  Nothing's helping.

In previous versions of MC (i.e. before 3.5), I've always noticed when you dump the media databases on drives when Avid reaches the "Initializing Media Streams" on the startup splash screen THAT's when it SCANS and INDEXES the drives and rebuilds the databases.  But I've noticed (and I'm wondering if this is a new 3.5 thing) is that when I startup 3.5 it goes through the entire startup splash screen and THEN starts to rebuild the databses.  But what I've seen is that it doesn't index them.  It will SCAN the drive twice and then move on to the next drive.  If I look in the drive for the databases, both the .pmr and .mdb are in there.  Is that normal???

I'm in the process of transferring the media to another drive to see if it's something to do with the partitions of the old drive, however, when I plug the old drive back into my laptop running MC 3.0.5 everything stills works fine and all media shows up with no errors.

Sorry for the long post, but I've always believed more info for you guys is always better. 

Really at a loss here. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Y.

MC v5.5.3, 2x2.93GHz 8Core Mac Pro, 32GB RAM, 10.7.5, QT v7.6.3 ; Avid MC v5.5.3, 2x3.06GHz MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 10.7.5, QT v7.6.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, May 23 2009 10:22 PM In reply to

Re: DISK_FILE_NOT_FOUND Weirdness

I haven't upgraded to MC v3.5.x yet, so i can't comment on the timing of the media scanning or indexing.  However, the only time I've personally seen "DISK_FILE_NOT_FOUND" is on shared storage. e.g. Unity.  In that case it measn a media file was deleted, and the media databases have not yet been rebuilt or updated to reflect the change.  So, Avid "thinks" the media should be there, but it is not.  The error is saying, "The file on the disk cannot be found".

On a stand-alone system, I'm not sure of the root cause, although, it's probably the same or similar.  Trashing & rebuilding the databases would also have been my first suggestion.  Next would be to create a whole new folder structure for Avid MediaFiles\MXF and OMFI MediaFiles.

Symphony 7.0 w/Matrox MXO2 Rack, HP xw8600, Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit, QT v7.7.x, 2xQC 3.0GHz, 8GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series FX 1800 & nVidia v275... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ Discovery Studios West
    (wwld)

• Mon, May 25 2009 2:14 PM In reply to

• swatchpost
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles, CA
    • Posts 96
    • Points 1,165

Thanks for your reply Randall.  What exactly do you mean by whole new folder structure?  Do you mean a different way of doing the partitions?

Y.

MC v5.5.3, 2x2.93GHz 8Core Mac Pro, 32GB RAM, 10.7.5, QT v7.6.3 ; Avid MC v5.5.3, 2x3.06GHz MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 10.7.5, QT v7.6.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, May 25 2009 3:04 PM In reply to

No, just new media folders,  The folders themselves may be corrupt.

Symphony 7.0 w/Matrox MXO2 Rack, HP xw8600, Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit, QT v7.7.x, 2xQC 3.0GHz, 8GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series FX 1800 & nVidia v275... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    (wwld)

• Tue, May 26 2009 4:29 PM In reply to

• swatchpost
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles, CA
    • Posts 96
    • Points 1,165

Here's an update:

I created new folders, etc. Did not help.  I first replaced the OMFI media files with my editors' OMFI media files from his machine.  That went through my Avid fine.  I then replaced all the MXF media files from my editors' machine and that went through fine.  It obviously was something on the drive (nothing wrong with MC 3.5) a corrupt file, something that wasn't allowing the media databases to rebuild correctly—because that essentially should have solved the problem immediately, but didn't.

So I'm up and running now with my new Mac Pro, and it's pretty unbelievable.  It's like having my old Meridien back it's so reponsive. 

Thanks Randall for you help.

Cheers,

Y.

• Tue, May 26 2009 4:55 PM In reply to

Glad to help.  And, good work.  The next suggestion would have been to move your media into new folders a few at a time to isolate any corrupt files.

(wwld)

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

Avid Technology, Inc. brands:
M-Audio  |   Sibelius  |   Pinnacle Systems  |  

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller