Latest post Tue, Jun 23 2009 2:43 PM by Job ter Burg. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, May 6 2009 4:57 AM

• frediko
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Sep 27 2008
    • Norway
    • Posts 78
    • Points 1,005

Unlimited number of video tracks (in Media Composer)

Ok.

The current limit is 24(MC 3.05). Please someone point me out to the setting of where to change this if I'm wrong :)

-Is the limit there to protect your system?

It doesnt seem like a "real" limit. Let people try themselves how many tracks their system can take.

-Is the limit there because there is no need of more than 24 video tracks?

I bet everyone at some point has met the limit, but I can mention music videos as a great example of an edit where someone could want more than 24 video tracks (picking/matchframing synced material).

-Why don't you just use nesting instead?

Why should I have to? And it isn't really nearly as good as using proper tracks. You can't play the audio tracks if you step in etc. Or you have to do a lot more clicking to open/close/manage nests.

-Media Composer doesn't have this "feature" because another Avid tool has it?

Not sure about this, but I'm guessing the DS and maybe the Symphony(?) has unlimited tracks? Well, as shown above - this is a useful way of working with material also in the editing process - not only for finishing. Having to buy a Symphony/DS to do offline editing doesn't sound right.

So yeah - I'd like to have that  :)  *pretty please with sugar on top*

fred

Mostly hp z420/440 on Media Composer 8.x and Symphony 8.x Also Dell Precision m3800 | Win 10 | 16GB memory | Quadro k1100 [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: ,
  • Wed, Jun 3 2009 8:09 AM In reply to

• Sylvain P
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    • Posts 1,483
    • Points 17,530

Re: Unlimited number of video tracks (in Media Composer)

Liquid has unlimited tracks, Premiere Pro has unlimited tracks, Final Cut Pro has 99 audio and 99 video tracks with support for nesting sequences together.

Media Composer 2018.5 (Symphony Option), ASUS P8P67 Deluxe, Intel i7 2600k, 16G DDR3-1600, PNY NVIDIA Quadro 2000 (353.82), Windows 10 Pro. Boris Red 5... [view my complete system specs]

Sylvain Primeau

Self-employed worker - Les productions Primeau Medias

primeaumedias.com

Radio-Canada/CBC news editor

cbc.ca / ici.radio-canada.ca

• Sun, Jun 14 2009 8:45 PM In reply to

• editmk
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 10 2007
    • London
    • Posts 244
    • Points 3,365

I agree. Why should there be a limit. Maybe in the past it was to keep things fast but now days why have a limit.

Bring on unlimited video tracks!!

HP XW8600 Dual Quad Core 3 Ghz Windows 8 16 Gigs of Ram 24TB of Raid 10 sata storage Media Composer 7 Matrox MX02 Mini [view my complete system specs]

www.mikegreen.tv

• Sun, Jun 14 2009 8:49 PM In reply to

Well, 24 audiotracks is even more limiting (since every element usually consists of more than one audiotrack). Let's bring both V and A up to 99 or beyond.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 15 2009 4:15 PM In reply to

• frediko
    • Not Ranked
    • Norway
    • Posts 78
    • Points 1,005

Still no good answers for the limit?

I think it is a piece of code that's been sitting there doing nothing for too long - someone just have to realize the mistake and remove it.

fred

Mostly hp z420/440 on Media Composer 8.x and Symphony 8.x Also Dell Precision m3800 | Win 10 | 16GB memory | Quadro k1100 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 15 2009 4:41 PM In reply to

Actually, Ive been editing on Avid many years now and probably have never used more than 8 layers.

Inside several of those layers there may been several nestings of up to again 8 layers.

At this complexity we are talking several hours a shot to render......

So 24 tracks of 24 nested tracks?

If you want to keep a bunch of tracks in sync for a music video use group clips.

Ah, but Job, how about the ability to nest audio tracks for the Deva files; Theres a thought.

David Y

Symphony 7.06 OS 10.9.5 QT 7.6.3 Mac Pro 2x2.66 6-core 32GB Ram Aja Kona 3. MC 7.0.6 OS 10.9.5 Mac Pro 5.1 2x2.97 6-core 14GB ram Aja I/O express, Apple... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 17 2009 10:11 AM In reply to

• frediko
    • Not Ranked
    • Norway
    • Posts 78
    • Points 1,005

NubusAvid:

Actually, Ive been editing on Avid many years now and probably have never used more than 8 layers.

Inside several of those layers there may been several nestings of up to again 8 layers.

At this complexity we are talking several hours a shot to render......

So 24 tracks of 24 nested tracks?

If you want to keep a bunch of tracks in sync for a music video use group clips.

Ah, but Job, how about the ability to nest audio tracks for the Deva files; Theres a thought.

David Y

Hi David .

I agree - there are not many situations where it is needed, but that doesn't justify not having the possibility.

In the example of the music video the tracks would not be rendered. I would need the 24+ tracks to lay down all the different takes in sync with an audio track. Then the workflow would be to color code then lay down video to track 1-3 by flipping through all the different tracks above. This works very well, and cant be compared to using grouped clips or nests.

My point is people have different needs and workflows, and the software shouldn't be holding people back with something silly like this. At least there should be a setting to release the possibility of extra tracks :)

Fred

• Sun, Jun 21 2009 12:14 AM In reply to

• editmk
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 10 2007
    • London
    • Posts 244
    • Points 3,365

I hit 24 video layers all the time. My clients shoot music videos at 60fps on the EX3 using multiple cameras. I then import the clips which then play in slow mo. I speed them up by 240% and they then appear normal. Then I can drop into cool slow mo's at any time. I can't group these clips so I have to layer them.

Unlimited tracks would definitely help me.

HP XW8600 Dual Quad Core 3 Ghz Windows 8 16 Gigs of Ram 24TB of Raid 10 sata storage Media Composer 7 Matrox MX02 Mini [view my complete system specs]

www.mikegreen.tv

• Mon, Jun 22 2009 1:34 AM In reply to

• itmatters
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 23 2006
    • Posts 333
    • Points 4,000

Job ter Burg:

Well, 24 audiotracks is even more limiting (since every element usually consists of more than one audiotrack). Let's bring both V and A up to 99 or beyond.

Totally agree... the audio limit is one more headache we don't need when we're busy editing and closing in on the 24th track.

• Tue, Jun 23 2009 12:55 PM In reply to

• frediko
    • Not Ranked
    • Norway
    • Posts 78
    • Points 1,005

I could understand if Avid had an alternative application that did more than 24 tracks, and wanted to push that application (ok - understand, but not necessarily like..) But MC is the flagship software for editing. DS or pro tools are not alternatives here.

I guess/hope this limit is removed in an upcoming release :)

fred

• Tue, Jun 23 2009 2:43 PM In reply to

I could understand if Avid had an alternative application that did more than 24 tracks

I could not.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller