Latest post Sat, Apr 25 2009 11:00 PM by Larry Rubin. 26 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Apr 23 2009 1:20 AM In reply to

• mmullen
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 13 2008
    • Haverhill, MA
    • Posts 553
    • Points 6,355

Re: Error: Exception: PMM_INSUFFICIENT_MEDIA following consolidate

This one is a bit tricky.

What kind of drive is it that you consolidated too?

Have you tried consolidating from the original if that media still exists....I'd still recommend a trashing of the Media Databases (msmmmob.mdb, msmfmid.pmr)

-Matt M.

• Thu, Apr 23 2009 6:31 PM In reply to

• kta
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jan 9 2008
    • California
    • Posts 145
    • Points 1,880

Yes, I still have all the original media. I've tried consolidating it three times already, and the same problem occurs.

What wil happen if i trash the media databases, will it create a new one, or will it affect any of my projects? What is the function of these media databases? I notices that there is only one set of these in my hard drive (so I assume it has to do with everything Avid), not just for each project itself.

Media Composer 3.1.1, MacBook Pro, 4gig RAM, OSX Leapord 10.5.7 [view my complete system specs]

- Kevin

• Thu, Apr 23 2009 7:14 PM In reply to

• mmullen
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 13 2008
    • Haverhill, MA
    • Posts 553
    • Points 6,355

Your dodging a pretty important question here.  What type of drives are you consolidating from and too?

You should see those media database files in any MXF or OMF media folder. They are responsible for telling the avid what the media files are and where they live. If you delete them the Avid will scan and rebuild those files.  Depending on how much media you have will depend on the time this takes.

If you delete them it may find corrupt files.  If this is the case you will have to quarantine and delete these files resulting in the loss of that media.

Answer my question about the drives.

1. What is the starting drive that seems to work fine?

2. What is the end drive that is giving you an issue? 

What kind of drives are they/how are they connected to your system?

-Matt M.

• Thu, Apr 23 2009 7:19 PM In reply to

To rebuild media database files, quit the application, and in each numerical folder inside the MXF folder inside the Avid MediaFiles folder, delete the two files that identify by type as "MSM Media Database". If you have an OMFI MediaFiles folder, delete the same two files. On re-launch, the system will detect the missing files and build new ones at the "Initializing Media Streams Manager" stage. You will see the system go into a scanning and indexing mode at this point. This should restore your media to online. But first, please answer the question posed about what type of drives you're using.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Thu, Apr 23 2009 10:46 PM In reply to

• kta
    • Not Ranked
    • California
    • Posts 145
    • Points 1,880

To answer your questions 1 & 2:

1. All drives are using for starting up the stock footage, they all seem to run fine when I am working with the HDV timline.

2. The end drive is my Seagate 750gig (drive C), which holds my consolidated footage, and is causing the PMM error.

The drives that I am consolidating to is drive C (seagate 750 gig). I also transcode to this drive.

Certain sequences (both consolidated & transcoded) seem to be fickle. Some sequences run choppy, some run smoothly, these sequences do not have any effects applied to them, just conoslidates of the raw footage. With that said, I have reason to suspect maybe now that this is a bad drive, but it just doesn't make sense that some sequences run smooth and some do not, shouldn't it be consistent that everything on this drive runs choppy in order for it to be bad drive?

The drives that I use are:

a. Seagate - 250gig

b. Seagate - 500gig

c. Seagate - 750gig

d. WD - 750gig

I do not keep any of these drives more than 60-70% full.

a,b, & c are all built from the hard drive to an encasing. The WD (drive D) only holds a small amount of footage, just about 2-3 HDV tapes each (3 hours of footage). All drives have e-sata plug-in capabilities, but I am running them all through USB.

I just did a double check of all the footage in Avid, all the HDV stock footage is sitting only in drive A, B & D.

Drive C strictly carries only consolidates & transcodes. I also noticed that drive C is significantly hotter to the touch than the other drives. Maybe another piece of evidence that contributues to it running slower?

Media Composer 3.1.1, MacBook Pro, 4gig RAM, OSX Leapord 10.5.7 [view my complete system specs]

- Kevin

• Thu, Apr 23 2009 11:26 PM In reply to

kta:
    All drives have e-sata plug-in capabilities, but I am running them all through USB.

This could be the core of your performance problems. Although it generally will work for relatively simple timelines and clip screening, USB connection is not supported, especially if you're running multiple layers of HD with an effects intensive timeline.

kta:
    Why do I have so many drives for one project?

The answer to this has to do with what Avid does with the media ingested. It is not stored as one continuous and unbroken file. Rather, the system deliberately creates media stream fragments and scatters them across a series of drives, partitions, or RAID array for storage, retrieval, cueing and seamless playback in real time, hence the "Initializing Media Streams Manager" stage of the boot up. This is also the reason why you NEVER, EVER defrag your media drives. So the additional drives on the system will give you better performance and response time and fewer or no video or audio underrun errors. Use your hardware tool and do the best you can to balance the load and spread the wealth around. If any one drive or partition exceeds 85% of it's capacity you will experience an increasing amount of performance and response time issues.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Thu, Apr 23 2009 11:51 PM In reply to

• kta
    • Not Ranked
    • California
    • Posts 145
    • Points 1,880

Well I'm glad to hear that additional drive improves performance rather than slows it down (what I thought it would do). That's very good to know how Avid works amongst all the drives, pretty genious actually.

The hardware tool you mentioned only monitors the capacity (used/free space) of the drive, it cannot distribute files correct?

I think I will try running two of the drives back on e-sata again, in the past I had some problems with the connection, but I will give it another go and see if it helps at all.

- Kevin

• Fri, Apr 24 2009 12:09 AM In reply to

kta:

The hardware tool you mentioned only monitors the capacity (used/free space) of the drive, it cannot distribute files correct?

That is correct. You would need either to consolidate or use Media Mover to move existing files. For the future, monitor the hardware tool on a regular basis and your drive destinations when you capture, render, create titles, import and mixdown.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Fri, Apr 24 2009 6:12 AM In reply to

• kta
    • Not Ranked
    • California
    • Posts 145
    • Points 1,880

In regards to the deletion of the MSM files inside the numbered folder. Do I only delete the two files in my computer's AvidMediafiles, or do I clear all the ones in each external drive as well?

- Kevin

• Fri, Apr 24 2009 12:27 PM In reply to

On each media drive, whether internal of external, there will be an "Avid MediaFiles" folder and usually also an "OMFI MediaFiles" folder. Go into each numerical folder in Avid MediaFiles and delete the two MSM files. Delete the same two MSM files in the OMFI MediaFiles folder. This will rebuild a fresh database for all the media on your system.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sat, Apr 25 2009 10:30 PM In reply to

• kta
    • Not Ranked
    • California
    • Posts 145
    • Points 1,880

I just made a duplicate of the sequence, laid out all the video & audio tracks into V1, A1, & A2 only. Just straight edits, with no layers of tracks. I consolidated it, and the PMM error was gone! Maybe it had to do with rebuilding my media database.

The specific edits that were causing that error from tracks A1 & A2, were not touched and didn't casue it this time. Fortunately, its gone for now, unfortunately, i didn't get to discover how to troubleshoot all those issues for future reference... moving along! Big Smile

Thank You all for your help on this.

- Kevin

• Sat, Apr 25 2009 11:00 PM In reply to

You're quite welcome. We're glad to hear your problem is solved. GeekedYes

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller