Latest post Sat, Apr 25 2009 11:00 PM by Larry Rubin. 26 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Apr 12 2009 1:21 AM

• kta
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jan 9 2008
    • California
    • Posts 145
    • Points 1,880

Error: Exception: PMM_INSUFFICIENT_MEDIA following consolidate

I just consolidated a 1hr 15 min sequence. After completion, I went to the new sequence, and the error: Exception: PMM_INSUFFICIENT_MEDIA popped up. All the subclips that were consolidated worked perfectly though, and anywhere I click on my timeline shows the image, but it just won't play w/o having this error pop up.

Does anyone know what causes this problem, and how to fix it?

BTW: Sequence is HDV 1080 60i footage. 3 video tracks, and 6 audio tracks.

Media Composer 3.1.1, MacBook Pro, 4gig RAM, OSX Leapord 10.5.7 [view my complete system specs]

- Kevin

• Mon, Apr 13 2009 9:27 PM In reply to

Re: Error: Exception: PMM_INSUFFICIENT_MEDIA following consolidate

this one really bugs me, and has only cropped up since the 2.5x versions of MC from my experience. Please try this and post your result...

• go to the end of your consolidated clip in the timeline, and remove a frame from the end of the clip.  See what happens.

Post your results and let us know.  Thanks

2 systems: Mobile: 15-inch Macbook Pro Retina 2.6GHZ i7 w/16 gig RAM, 1TB SSD, OS 10.12.6 running MC 2018.6 Legacy - MC v5.5.4, OS 10.5.8, QT 7.6, on Quad... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 13 2009 11:48 PM In reply to

• kta
    • Not Ranked
    • California
    • Posts 145
    • Points 1,880

I didn't find any 100% successful results, but I've reached some progress w/ no idea how it happened. I consolidated my sequence again.

The PMM_Insufficient_Media error only pops up now when I turn the audio on for one of my tracks that is synced to my B-Roll. When I turn the audio off for those two audio tracks, it plays just fine.

The situation has improved now the the video all works, but I want every single track to work, so that eventually I can use the B-Roll's audio for the final product.

So now the problem for the error is specifcally a set of audio tracks. Any idea why this would happen? The audio is all synced together, and there are no uneven cuts as far as I know, or else there would have been something saying i might be -1 frame out of sync.

Media Composer 3.1.1, MacBook Pro, 4gig RAM, OSX Leapord 10.5.7 [view my complete system specs]

- Kevin

• Tue, Apr 14 2009 4:14 AM In reply to

• mmullen
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 13 2008
    • Haverhill, MA
    • Posts 568
    • Points 6,500

Isolate and playback just that track.  if you then mark ins and outs you can play in to out and narrow down a possible currupt area.

-Matt M.

• Tue, Apr 21 2009 4:19 AM In reply to

• kta
    • Not Ranked
    • California
    • Posts 145
    • Points 1,880

what i did is duplicate the entire sequence, delete all the tracks except for just that audio 1/2 track. but it the error will still pop up. i tried trimming both the front and end. but no luck.

is there specific command or function that only allows you to play inside the in/out points or do i just click in between on the timeline (which is what i do)? when i click in between in/out points, the error still comes up. but i wonder if there is a specific way to just get around that in order to find out isolate the problem.

thanks!

- Kevin

• Tue, Apr 21 2009 4:20 PM In reply to

• mmullen
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Haverhill, MA
    • Posts 568
    • Points 6,500

KTA,

If you go to the command pallette (Tools> Command pallette, or Command 3) Look on the Play tab.  You will see play in to out there. 

-Matt M.

• Tue, Apr 21 2009 8:13 PM In reply to

• kta
    • Not Ranked
    • California
    • Posts 145
    • Points 1,880

when you begin to isolate the in/out playbacks, what should I be looking for that will give me a sign of where the problem is?

- Kevin

• Tue, Apr 21 2009 9:00 PM In reply to

• mmullen
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Haverhill, MA
    • Posts 568
    • Points 6,500

try to find and isolate an area where you get the error...if not the whole track

-Matt M.

• Tue, Apr 21 2009 10:03 PM In reply to

• kta
    • Not Ranked
    • California
    • Posts 145
    • Points 1,880

okay, i'm having a little success going through the tracks using the command 3 function (play in/out points), the next hiccup i'm having is when the playback is stopped (via spacebar) or hits the end point, a new error saying {"Bus Error" in thread "Main Thread", at address   0x0} appears, and closes my avid entirely. any idea what this is and why it does it?

- Kevin

• Wed, Apr 22 2009 2:50 PM In reply to

• mmullen
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Haverhill, MA
    • Posts 568
    • Points 6,500

It seems like there is sometype of corruption here.  Do you see the error coming up when there are effects or transitions? What kind of drives are you using? How full are the drives?

What was done between when it was working and when you started getting the error?

You might want to try rebuilding your media database files on the drive your using, but if there is corrupt media it may result in losing said media.

Anyone else want to chime in some ideas?

-Matt M.

• Wed, Apr 22 2009 7:26 PM In reply to

Now that you know that it's audio, I still really think that this all started with one clip, (even a short one...) where the app was expecting a frame of media where there wasn't one.  Doesn't help much now, but for future reference I always stop whatever I'm doing when that error pops up (usually during an audio punch-in session) and use my rollers and back up one frame, and I'm golden.  (or the clip is)

2 systems: Mobile: 15-inch Macbook Pro Retina 2.6GHZ i7 w/16 gig RAM, 1TB SSD, OS 10.12.6 running MC 2018.6 Legacy - MC v5.5.4, OS 10.5.8, QT 7.6, on Quad... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 22 2009 9:54 PM In reply to

• kta
    • Not Ranked
    • California
    • Posts 145
    • Points 1,880

MMULLEN, To answer your question, there are no effects or transitions in this sequence. It's just a series of edits compiled together in rough cut form at a TRT of about 1hr and 13 minutes.

I just cleansed of all my hard drives of its old media before. All the media is spread out between 3 different hard drives. None are above 60% capacity.

The error began only on my consolidated version of the timeline. The original HDV timeline runs fine with no errors, but when I go to the consolidated version so that I can just run off one drive, the error began to pop up.

So far what I did was make a duplicate of that consolidated timeline, delete all the tracks except those two audio tracks and the video track that is synced with that audio for reference. I did what was suggested which was command 3 - and play in/out points, it will run fine until it hits and end point or is stopped manually via space bar. While playing the timeline in the play in/out mode, the error "Bus Error" in thread "Main Thread", at address   0x0 will pop up and shut down Avid entirely. If I am just trying to play the timeline as I would normally the PMM_INSUFFICIENT_MEDIA error will pop up, but not close Avid.

It's strange becasue it's only the consolidated version that does this, I did a transcode from HDV 1080 to DNxHD 145, and that works just fine.

I think I will try what Bill suggests which is a audio punch in session - would you mind giving me a brief description of the process, i don't know what that means.

What a learning experience this has been, I very much appreciate all your help along the way, and hopefully to come to a conclusion in the near future.

- Kevin

• Wed, Apr 22 2009 11:43 PM In reply to

I'm saying that I usually bump up against the type of error you're encountering during one of our voice-over sessions, where the system is recording audio directly into the MC app.  From time to time, the INSUFFICIENT MEDIA error will be evoked.  At that time I grab the very last clip I recorded and roll it back (trim) a frame or two, and I'm ready to go again...

• Thu, Apr 23 2009 12:59 AM In reply to

• kta
    • Not Ranked
    • California
    • Posts 145
    • Points 1,880

I see what you mean now, that is definitley a good point for future reference because I will be doing some voice-over sessions shortly as well. I'll keep that in mind.

- Kevin

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller