Latest post Thu, May 26 2011 6:40 PM by Phillisp. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Apr 3 2009 3:26 PM

Make subclip from a clip in the timeline?

Is there any way to make a subclip from a clip in a timeline? I mean one that will show as a subclip in the bin, not as a sequence... the difference being, if you double-click on a subclip it loads into the source monitor. If you double-click on a sub-sequence, it loads into the timeline and replaces whatever timeline was already there. I could do match frame, but that only gives the in-point, not in and out.

MC 7.0.2 MX02 Rack Dell T3500 Win 7 64-bit Quad Core Xeon 2.93Ghz 24GB RAM, QT 7.66 nVidia Quadro FX580 Driver 8.16.11.9175, 2x12TB GSpeed ES PRO RAID... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Apr 3 2009 4:09 PM In reply to

• dalbin
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Salt Lake City
    • Posts 47
    • Points 585

Re: Make subclip from a clip in the timeline?

I think the best thing to do would be a video mixdown.

1 Media Composer Nitris DX 3.0.5 HP XW-8600 Workstation NVIDIA Quadro FX3700 4GB RAM & 1 Media Composer Adrenaline 2.8.3 HP XW-8200 Station NVIDIA... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Apr 3 2009 4:15 PM In reply to

But a videomixdown takes rendertime. You could also dublicate your sequence (by selecting it in the bin and hit "strg+d"), and drag and drop the sequence in the sourcemonitor.

If you don't need the item in the bin you can try the shortcuts (strg+)alt+c or (strg+)alt+x, from the timeline, as well. They will make subclips from in to out and place them in the sourcemonitor directly, but no item in the bin.

greetz, g_f

Dell Precision m6400, Intel QX9300 2,5GHz Quadcore, nVidia QuadroFX 3700@1GB, 4GB RAM, M-Box2, MC 3.5.1 Software Only, ProTools LE 8cs2, WindowsXP 32bit... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Apr 3 2009 4:33 PM In reply to

Thanks... video mixdown is not the answer and I have tried the other solutions already, they simply create new squences, not actual subclips.

All I want to do is create individual subclips in a bin. I can ALMOST do this by going to a segment in the timeline, hitting "T" to mark in and out, then and doing a match frame - that loads the master clip in the source monitor and puts an IN mark at the beginning of the segment. So far so good, now if only there was a fast simple way to also mark the OUT point, I could create an actual subclip from the master clip in the source monitor. But the only way I can figure to get the OUT point is to play the clip and manually mark it.

It's just one of those things that I expect Avid to be able to do... it does so many useful things I was hoping this might be a function that is hiddden somewhere.

MC 7.0.2 MX02 Rack Dell T3500 Win 7 64-bit Quad Core Xeon 2.93Ghz 24GB RAM, QT 7.66 nVidia Quadro FX580 Driver 8.16.11.9175, 2x12TB GSpeed ES PRO RAID... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Apr 3 2009 4:42 PM In reply to

• dalbin
    • Not Ranked
    • Salt Lake City
    • Posts 47
    • Points 585

Ok, here's a long way around this.

Do a match frame at your in point(loads into source monitor). With phantom marks on it will display your out point, go to out point and mark it. Then click on the clip icon and drag it to a source bin.

I know this is acouple step process but maybe the only way.

1 Media Composer Nitris DX 3.0.5 HP XW-8600 Workstation NVIDIA Quadro FX3700 4GB RAM & 1 Media Composer Adrenaline 2.8.3 HP XW-8200 Station NVIDIA... [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: ,
  • Fri, Apr 3 2009 4:45 PM In reply to

• dalbin
    • Not Ranked
    • Salt Lake City
    • Posts 47
    • Points 585

To display phantom marks, right click on record or source monitor.

• Fri, Apr 3 2009 4:50 PM In reply to

Perfect. That's exactly what I was looking for. I didn't know about phantom marks.

Thanks!!

• Fri, Apr 3 2009 4:52 PM In reply to

• dalbin
    • Not Ranked
    • Salt Lake City
    • Posts 47
    • Points 585

Glad to help. Another thing you could do is hold down the alt key when doing a match frame. That way marks are not cleared.

• Fri, Apr 3 2009 4:56 PM In reply to

Actually it's even a little simpler than you described. Once I right-click on the source monitor and select phantom marks, it stays in that mode, so all I have to do is go into the timeline, position anywhere within a segment and hit T, then match frame, then make subclip. The In and OUT points are marked because I have turned on Phantom Marks, now all I have to do is make a subclip. This is exactly what I was trying to do. I just couldn't figure out how to get the OUT mark to show up. Since I have keys mapped for all these functions, it's a very quick process now, just three keystrokes and the new subclip is in the bin. Thanks again.

(EDIT) Correction, must position the indicator at the first frame of the clip, not anywhere in the clip. Easy enough using Y and U.

• Fri, Apr 3 2009 5:13 PM In reply to

Uhhmmm.. I spoke a little too soon but this is at least heading in the right direction. A subclip made with phantom marks begins at the right place and shows IN an OUT points correctly, but the subclip saved to the bin (the way I'm doing it) is still the entire master clip. Because phantom marks are just that - phantom. So I'll go back and try it the way you actually described! It will take a few more steps to get it right. As you said originally.

So, it's six keystrokes instead of three. Still not too bad.

• Fri, Apr 3 2009 5:52 PM In reply to

• dalbin
    • Not Ranked
    • Salt Lake City
    • Posts 47
    • Points 585

If you have a master clip marked, you can click and hold the master clip icon and drag it to a bin and it's creates a subclip.

• Fri, Apr 3 2009 7:05 PM In reply to

dalbin:
    hold down the alt key when doing a match frame. That way marks are not cleared.
    dalbin:
      If you have a master clip marked, you can click and hold the master clip icon and drag it to a bin and it's creates a subclip.

I think if you put these two suggestions together, you'll have your answer.

good luck,
    Carl

Media Composer | Software (8.1) w/Symphony option, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 8.1 Pro 64, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Fri, Nov 20 2009 2:18 PM In reply to

• Torrente
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 20 2009
    • Posts 4
    • Points 70

Im working on allnight movie and use to have the same poroblem, the solution is in make new seq paste the clip thre and press Autosync, thats how you gona make original avid dv expres subclip...

Hellooooo oo o

Filed under:
  • Sat, Nov 21 2009 6:04 AM In reply to

• iedjie
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 225
    • Points 2,570

If you have an in and out point in the timeline and you matchframe when you're on the in point, the source monitor gets activated and than all you have to press is "W", (go to outpoint), to go to the corresponding out point. The reference is the in-out distance in the timeline. I used to do that a lot as an old fashioned tape-editor.

But what's the fuzz about double clicking a sequence? If you drag it from the bin to the source monitor it gets loaded. Many times I load a whole buch of sequences in the source monitor, (doing on-line work), and than choose them from the dropdown menu in the source monitor it self instead of from the bin. Don't you make things a little to complicate?

mobo MSI P55-GD65, CPU Intel i5-750 @ 3.2 Ghz, memory G.SKILL F3-10666CL7D 2x4GB, Videocard Nvidia Quadro FX 3700, PSU OCZ 500MXSP, Harddisks; Crucial... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Nov 22 2009 2:05 AM In reply to

• Torrente
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 20 2009
    • Posts 4
    • Points 70

yes i undertand you very nice, but the trick in avid media composer is next:

First you mark in and out point

second you make subclip

and this comand is making seq, but if you select that seq in the bin and go to the bin menu and pres Autosync you gona get the true clip, which you can loaded after like a regular video clip. It will be no more seq, it gona become a clip

sory for bad speling :)

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller