Latest post Tue, Mar 24 2009 3:12 PM by hidefcowboy. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Mar 22 2009 8:32 AM

G-Raid or Drobo?

Hello,

I know Avid's are the most recommended storage but while the budget is tight, we're sticking with other brands.

What do you think about G-Raid and Drobo?

Which one do you recommend?

We're currently using G-Raid 1 (500s).

Thank you.

Avid MC 8.3 | OSX 10.8.5 | MacPro 8-Core, 24 GB | HDV/H264/AVCHD/DV/, Sony HVR-Z1/Z7, Canon EOS [view my complete system specs]

Ervz Tia | Video Productions
    WM Communications, Asia-Pacific | Philippines

--

• Mon, Mar 23 2009 12:26 AM In reply to

Re: G-Raid or Drobo?

They are not quite the same thing, or at least their intended purpose. G-RAID are meant to give you the best performance at a given price level. Drobo is meant to give you a versatile and affordable backup system. Feedback I have read (Avid-L2) is that the Drobo is quite slow. For editing, G-RAID is the way to go (or similar products). Drobo is a nice way to backup your media.

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 23 2009 1:28 AM In reply to

Thank you.

I appreciate your comments.

Avid MC 8.3 | OSX 10.8.5 | MacPro 8-Core, 24 GB | HDV/H264/AVCHD/DV/, Sony HVR-Z1/Z7, Canon EOS [view my complete system specs]

Ervz Tia | Video Productions
    WM Communications, Asia-Pacific | Philippines

--

• Tue, Mar 24 2009 3:12 PM In reply to

Don't use drobo for editing. And on the other side, G-Raids are made, basically, for editing.

Please know that the "raid" in G-Raid, is a raid 0. If you lose one drive, you've lost them both. Perhaps a G-Drive would be better and safer, if you're not doing high res work.

Don't trust the internet...

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller