Latest post Tue, Apr 7 2009 2:29 PM by Javier Valledor. 208 replies.
Page 13 of 14 (209 items) « First ... < Previous 10 11 12 13 14 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Mar 17 2009 11:18 PM In reply to

Re: Avid Releases version 3.5 of the Media Composer Software

I agree with Rogershuff. I've just paid for 2 upgrades from 2.7 to 3.1 and if I'd known that 3.5 was coming I'd have waited and saved myself a load of money. How about a lower priced upgrade from 3.1.2 to 3.5 to show that you care for your loyal customers?

System 1: Macbook Pro Retina2.6Ghz i7 OSX 10.11.6 8gigs RAM Nablet 4.5.5 Media Composer 2018.11 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Mar 18 2009 4:21 PM In reply to

• curiosity
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Boulder, CO
    • Posts 832
    • Points 10,505

I understand its a raw deal if you recently made the change from 2.8 to 3.0 (I just did in January) to have to shell out ANOTHER $300 just a month later, but ease up on the complaints for costs of upgrades. I upgraded becuase I HAD to get work done that only 3.1 supported. It would be nice to not get soaked by Avid, or have some purchase protection for updates (eg: if another upgrade occurs within 90 days you get it for free), but at the end of the day, I can pay my rent and put food on my family using my system so if I have to pay to upgrade its worth the cost (and I get to claim the cost for taxes - always a good thing).

If it helps, don't think of it as a upgrade from 2.7 again, think of it as: "Special Deal! Users of 2.7, 2.8, 3.0 and 3.1 can upgrade for only $295!"

i7-5820(x99), 64GB, Win 8.1, GTX 1080ti [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 19 2009 8:10 AM In reply to

• rogershuff
    • Not Ranked
    • Bournemouth UK
    • Posts 128
    • Points 1,440

I am aware that Marianna has a family emergency - my messages to her were made a couple of weeks ago. Not hassling her now.

Mac: 2.33Ghz Macbook Pro, OS 10.5.6, 3GB RAM, Media Composer 4.0.5, analogue Mojo, 320GB internal HD, Sony DSR-45P deck, etc etc [view my complete system specs]

Roger Shufflebottom Bottom Line TV +44 7973 543660

• Thu, Mar 19 2009 7:17 PM In reply to

• Serleejus
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 364
    • Points 4,715

It's interesting that we're talking about the Dongle here, and all of us wishing to keep it. Here is an excerpt from the Walter Murch interview on the Avid 2 FCP website.

http://www.avid2fcp.com/articles/walter-murch-part-one

It's interesting to note that he decided to switch to FCP because of avid's unwillingness to cooperate with the requests from editors.

Here is the excerpt.

"The other thing is that I felt it unhealthy for the art and industry of cinema for there to be only one system, and that’s what was developing in the early part of the 21st century. Avid was having a lock on the system and my own experience with them on [The Talented Mr] Ripley was that they were noticeably unresponsive to cries of help. Even from someone like me, who had won an Oscar for The English Patient which was the first film ever to win an Oscar for a digitally edited film and it was on an Avid! So if I was having problems getting help from them, you wonder what happens at other levels. So I think moving to FCP was a kind of provocative act but in a good sense to say “let’s get some more balls in the air” and clearly Avid at that time was bound by the fact that when they had launched their product, the computers of the time were not capable of doing what they wanted the product to do. So Avid became this mixture of software and hardware and the CPU."

I wish all these requests on the MAC and PC forum of MC aren't going to a company who is deaf and dumb.

• Tue, Mar 24 2009 8:31 AM In reply to

• tommix
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 14 2008
    • Posts 209
    • Points 2,575

RodneyinMunich:

Whether Avid saves money by eliminating dongles is a moot point. Manufacturing costs will go down but dozens/hundreds/thousands (?) of daily de- and reactivations by web and phone might well increase support costs.

I may be a bit dim, but I simply don't understand the need to change.

You ask the critical question that's simply not answered by the "customers have asked for it" claim. We ask for lots of things like fixing bugs that remain unfixed release after release.

More importantly, how can ones sell a system without a dongle?

• Mon, Mar 30 2009 11:17 AM In reply to

• buba
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Dec 17 2008
    • Germany
    • Posts 29
    • Points 340

I think Avid is treating us customers as sh.. . Man I just updated my MC from 2.7 to 3.x in december ´08 (Man thats only 3 months) and paid about 400$ . So now Avid wants me to pay again for a 3.5 Update?!?! What the hell I cant understand this- this is how Avid treats their loyal customers?!?! Please think about that update-policy because this is not fair to let 3.x customer pay that much again.

Macbook Pro 2017 with Avid Standard Support Plan // www.faridmartin.de [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 30 2009 12:21 PM In reply to

Why upgrade at all unless the newer version offers something you need if not don't hang off wait for version 4 and you may have saved the jump from 2.7 3.0 & 3.5 !!!

MC 7.0 Symphony 7.0 Win 7 64bit 1 x XW 8600 quad 16gig ram 480gig SSD FX 5400 4 1tb 32 mb cache drives Pro tools 10 Avid fx Avid 3d Matrox... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 30 2009 1:00 PM In reply to

buba:
    Man I just updated my MC from 2.7 to 3.x in december ´08 (Man thats only 3 months) and paid about 400$ . So now Avid wants me to pay again for a 3.5 Update?!?!

Not to pick on you, but 3.0 came out in June.  You waited six months to upgrade, and three months after you did, there was another update.  Had you purchased in June, it would have been nine months in between updates.

As others have said, don't automatically upgrade.  If there ware features you need, go ahead.  Otherwise, you can wait until 4.0.

Have you ever purchased an iPod from Apple?  Whenever I do, I can almost guarantee you that Apple comes out with new versions the next week.  It just about timing, which these days won't always be good.

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Mon, Mar 30 2009 1:18 PM In reply to

• buba
    • Not Ranked
    • Germany
    • Posts 29
    • Points 340

Its not like that that i just update the software because i want the newest version. I updated my 2.7 to 3.x in december because i needed mc for osx leopard. So what else to do, huh?

Macbook Pro 2017 with Avid Standard Support Plan // www.faridmartin.de [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 30 2009 1:21 PM In reply to

• buba
    • Not Ranked
    • Germany
    • Posts 29
    • Points 340

and to add this:

its just not fair to pay the same money for a 2.7 to 3.5 and 3.x to 3.5 update.

• Mon, Mar 30 2009 1:22 PM In reply to

• buba
    • Not Ranked
    • Germany
    • Posts 29
    • Points 340

and to add this:

its just not fair to pay the same money for a 2.7 to 3.5 and 3.x to 3.5 update.

• Tue, Mar 31 2009 8:53 AM In reply to

which brings us back to 3.5 if you need it buy if not wait for 4.0 Cool

MC 7.0 Symphony 7.0 Win 7 64bit 1 x XW 8600 quad 16gig ram 480gig SSD FX 5400 4 1tb 32 mb cache drives Pro tools 10 Avid fx Avid 3d Matrox... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 31 2009 11:24 AM In reply to

• Tiger_XP
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Feb 2 2007
    • California
    • Posts 460
    • Points 5,075

And a reason not to wait for 4.0 is not knowing the "minimum" requirements for this "future" release. Right now it could be just the OS, which in many cases an easy fix. IBM v. Intel is not as easy. By 4.0 time, your particular computer might not have only fallen off the "supported" list, but the "it won't work at all for real" lst!  

One question is, was Tiger (10.4) the problem in 3.1.2 being the end of the road or the IBM processor? Is 10.4.11 on Intel also problematic? If not how about a 3.1.5 going away present? Give us XDCAM & P2 full native direct access! 

Yea we know-Let it go! 

MacPro 2008 3.1 | 34GB Ram | Quadro 4000 980ti 960| MC 8.10 | OS 10.6.8 10.13.6 | MOTU HDX-SDI | ATTO R644| LaCie 324 [view my complete system specs]

• Tue, Mar 31 2009 7:27 PM In reply to

JVR:

which brings us back to 3.5 if you need it buy if not wait for 4.0 Cool

The proponents of this idea "if you don't need, don't buy it" are saying that if you've already upgraded to 3.0, it's okay for Avid to demand that you pay more in total for 3.5 than someone who's now upgrading from 2.7. 

Yes, I and other v3 updaters have certainly had the benefits of version 3 for several months (it doesn't matter how many), but now it's fine and dandy that we be penalised for buying the v3 upgrade when it came on the market (or more to the point, before v3.5 came on the market). Honestly, can any MC user find that okay? I'm at a complete loss to understand any support for this line of argument.

Regards,

Rodney

Edit 1: MC 8.10 + Symphony + PhraseFind • MacPro 6x3.5GHz/64GB OS10.10.5 • Artist Mix & Color • Aja Io 4K • Edit 2: MC 8.10 • MacPro 2x2.66GHz/48GB... [view my complete system specs]

Rodney Sewell BFS

• Thu, Apr 2 2009 4:54 AM In reply to

RodneyinMunich:
    but now it's fine and dandy that we be penalised for buying the v3 upgrade when it came on the market (or more to the point, before v3.5 came on the market).

No not penalised you purchased a product that your using wheres the wrong in that?You simply can't return an old product and expect a partial refund!

RodneyinMunich:
    Yes, I and other v3 updaters have certainly had the benefits of version 3 for several months

I rest my case! Stick out tongue

Page 13 of 14 (209 items) « First ... < Previous 10 11 12 13 14 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller